DIY Windscreen

Notices

DIY Windscreen

Old 05-18-2014, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts
Default DIY Windscreen

Used a template from Mario's sport V deck to mockup 2 versions of a windscreen for my 27 sport ....which looks better shorter or taller ?
Attached Thumbnails DIY Windscreen-img_8540.jpg   DIY Windscreen-dscf0125.jpg  
Old 05-18-2014, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 75 Likes on 32 Posts

I think they both look good. The larger looks better, but it may be due to the more of the boat in the pic. The pic with the shorter windscreen, it's hard to get a feel for the overall look.

IMHO, I would go as low as possible but still functional. The short screen on my outlaw is just that! Standing back in my bolster, the wind touches my hair, but it's not blowing in my face.
Seated, I can still barely see over it, but I normally stand. Passengers seated usually or not in the wind also.

Just went back and compared mine. What are you making it out of, mine has a cpl in lip (pointed up) that helps deflect air also.

Last edited by nailit; 05-18-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'l go back and take the same shot as the larger windscreen shows.............at the center peak of the windscreens there's a 4" difffernce between the 2
12" peak height on the taller one & 8" on the shorter one ........................if I keep a solid windscreen I'll be glassing over 1/4" ply with a 1/2" basla core.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's a though call. My initial reaction was to vote for the shorter one, but the taller one does look better in that photo angle. I look forward to a better photo of the short one.

If fiberglass, will it be the same color as the deck?
Old 05-19-2014, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Anu...........I'm torn between the both of them and for good reason........if I go small, then it well be a solid windscreen (liminted vision so smaller she goes)
If I go taller, it will be a plexi windshield (with that height I definately need to see through it).....the smaller windscreen would be the same color as the deck.
PS- WHERE'S GAVIN!!!...........day 46 still no contact!!!
Old 05-20-2014, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think mine is 11" high top center, measured along the center outside edge, not perpendicular to the deck.

Scippy, will you be adding the rear hand rails beside the cockpit? I have them , though not installed, they do reduce the visual impact of the taller windscreen . . . .

Mario L.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the shorter one Pete.

On a side note, man that hull has great lines.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:02 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One vote for the tall windshield! Looks period correct and the way it should have "back in the day"!! Keep it "cool"!

Jeff
Old 05-21-2014, 01:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Pete I was out over the weekend water testing a 28ss Cigarette that had a cut down vee windshield . . If you want one that blocks the wind & water spray a low cut down windshield is useless but looks cool. If you want function go with your taller one especially if you go with a stand up bolster. Mark
Old 05-26-2014, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I added a "wind deflect" (45* angle) to the top of the windscreen ..........If I like it I'll glass it.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Windscreen-img_8545.jpg   DIY Windscreen-img_8558.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.