Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Magnum Marine
Got my Maggie!!  Long term build thread intro... >

Got my Maggie!! Long term build thread intro...

Notices

Got my Maggie!! Long term build thread intro...

Old 08-02-2014, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got my Maggie!! Long term build thread intro...

Well, I finally went and picked up my 1972 Sedan!!! It is Hull # 187 A and it was originally sold at Venice marine. I purchased it from Peter Sobran who had if for about 4 years and never did anything to it. I found the owner previous to him, Peter R. Lapak, he is the Commander of the Marine unit of the Norwalk Police Department. It was apparently originally owned by a Mr. King and kept at the Norwalk Cove Marina since new. The boat it in need of work, but the hull is solid with no apparent moisture or rot issues. She is powered by twin Chrysler 360s with Chrysler / Volvo Outdrives. The outdrives look very ratty barnacles and all, but they shift effortlessly, and the oil looks clean. The motors are complete minus carburetors and they ran when sold in 2009... I am going to pull them regardlessly and give them the once or twice over lol. A few questions off the bat is the best way to get the anti fouling paint off the bottom of the hull? And what is the best method to clean / polish the deck and hull sides? My original plan was to raise the X, add a couple 408" stroker motors, re-paint the hull sides, add bolsters, and a custom rear bench seat/ engine cover. But today (After I drove the 900 miles back of course) I found Peter in Norwalk and called him. He still has the original sun pad cover and rear seat. It kind of has me on the fence about keeping it closer to stock, as all the original pieces are there and the transom seems solid as a rock. The only original pieces missing now are the tachometers as they have been replaced. The woodgrain on the dash is faded but I think I know a way to fix that. I will let the boat tell me what it wants me to do. I have restored many cars over the years, and this boat is similar to a barn find where its all original but needs a lot of freshening. It still even has the original helm and passenger chairs.

On to some of the pics I have:

Old 08-02-2014, 05:33 PM
Registered

More:

Old 08-02-2014, 05:35 PM
Registered

And even more!

Old 08-02-2014, 05:37 PM
Registered

I'm here all night!

Old 08-02-2014, 05:39 PM
Registered

Still not done lol

Old 08-02-2014, 05:40 PM
Registered

Old 08-02-2014, 05:42 PM
Registered

1st step is getting the outdrives apart, Ugh 2 frozen/stripped bolts already and all I have are the shift covers off one top cover and both pivot bolts on the helmets.

But I do like the fact that pretty much the entire cockpit floor is screwed down and removable, this will make access to the fuel tanks easy... They don't smell bad, and there is no apparent leaking but even still I'm gonna pull the floor to check them out

Last edited by murfman; 08-02-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:04 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome home...all of us can walk you thru the process, plan on two years. Bud
Old 08-02-2014, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

my dad worked at Venice Marina in the late 60's ,early 70's. I was only 8 or 9 yrs old ,but still remember getting to go deliver Magnums and Donzis by water to the customers that would store them for the winter. I never got it out of my system . We moved to S. Florida in '73 and always had an 18 Donzii in the driveway . When I could finally afford it, I bought my 28 Maltese and went racing!.My dad worked for Sonny Miller and Bob Saccenti rigging boats so I spent my summers sorting nuts and bolts and going for rides on all the old race boats they would prep.I miss the good old days!!!!
Old 08-02-2014, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Make sure you post plenty of pictures, these restoration threads are addictive and inspiring. Good luck and enjoy you build.!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.