Post Magnum Pictures

Old 05-30-2005, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Re: Post Magnum Pictures

My 1st 28 SS was a 1974 it had 350's with Volvo Speedmasters 270 T's
It ran 60 mph I named it LUCKY STRIKE.
The second 28 SS was a 1976 I bough it from Bill Gazell It was the original
GREAT ADVENTURE I raced it with him a few times it ran 63 mph. Then I named it BERKS LAW an raced it for a year.
3rd 28 I built new in 1979 as a race boat called Wings & thanks to Roger Munn & Don Stoll
we got it to run 70 to try an beat Gazells 30 Sutphen but never had much luck, so I then throttled for him the second half of the season. That Sutphen
ran 72 light on fuel Then I bought it from him. He and I in 1980 ran the Black VIPER-- GREAT ADVENTURE all of the 1980 season came in 2and in points.The Viper ran 67-- all of these boats had stock 280 Mercs.
As far as who had the fastest 28 cig-- I think mine was the fastest on the bay-- In the ocean we were unbeatable with out a doubt.
Jolly Roger an RATED X were close in speed I think about mid 80's

Last edited by lucky strike; 05-30-2005 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Old School, Rated X was originally a 27 Magnum, later a 36 Cigarette.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 265 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Geoghegan
Old School, Rated X was originally a 27 Magnum, later a 36 Cigarette.
Thanks, and I was worried about memory loss.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:41 PM
Registered

OldSchool

Here are the pics. of Spike's Magnum when it was new.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Post Magnum Pictures-rentalagreement0001.jpg   Post Magnum Pictures-rentalagreement0004.jpg  
Old 06-03-2005, 11:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by lucky strike
OldSchool

Here are the pics. of Spike's Magnum when it was new.

Steve
That picture was taken a few days ago. Wow, great pictures - thanks. Very cool. You have been around haven't you. I am just being a wise ass, but truthfully I do enjoy the memories from 70's and 80's of the hot-rods from that area.

Tell me about the Cigarette "Wild Turkey." That is another yellow boat which I have always liked. How fast does that run now? I remember when it had small blocks in it back in the day when it raced, I saw it at East Dover Marina. That was, and is a cool boat. I ask you because I figure you would know, you seem to know quite a bit about the old days in Barnegat Bay.

Stephen Jones
Old 06-04-2005, 04:12 PM
Registered

Frank Lach bought WILD TURKEY new. He raced it in M class back in the day. From what I know it ran about 75 with smallblocks. I think he still
owns it. As I said before ,I spent most of my summers living in Silver Bay
point. My parents had a summer home there. It's a small world.
I've got a suitcase full of pictures of boats from that era.
If you ever get to Florida look us up, be glad to show them to you.
We are taking our boat next weekend to the Jacksonville poker run.
Not quite like racing, because the whole family can go in the boat. They
say it's not a race---- but you could fool me !!!!
We were in the Daytona run 3 weeks ago we had a ball-- My Top Gun is one of 4-- F2-- Race boats built in 2000 it had 500 EFI'S with regular bravo's----- now it runs
93 mph with stock 525 EFI's --- XR's with 2 inch shorty sportmasters on 12 inch stelling extension boxes.

Steve Berk-------------Lucky Strike

Last edited by lucky strike; 06-05-2005 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:34 PM
Registered

Smile Re: Post Magnum Pictures

Frank Lach bought WILD TURKEY new. He raced it in M class back in the day. From what I know it ran about 75 with smallblocks. I think he still
owns it. As I said before ,I spent most of my summers living in Silver Bay
point. My parents had a summer home there. It's a small world.
I've got a suitcase full of pictures of boats from that era.
If you ever get to Florida look us up, be glad to show them to you.
We are taking our boat next weekend to the Jacksonville poker run.
Not quite like racing, because the whole family can go in the boat. They
say it's not a race---- but you could fool me !!!!
We were in the Daytona run 3 weeks ago we had a ball-- My Top Gun runs
93 mph with stock 525 EFI's --- XR's with 2 inch shorty sportmasters on 12 inch stelling extension boxes.

Steve Berk-------------Lucky Strike
93 mph, now that's getting with the program... A member on this site "Hydrocruiser" posted pictures of the "Hairy Canary" trying to start an old school (not my name, but the type of boats) thread, which I thought was pretty cool, I don't know HydroCruiser, but the post is appreciated. You may have some good pictures for that thread, if you are interested.

Poker runs, I have never been a partcipant in one yet. I go out on Sundays, and we have always looked for people to race, but we don't chase down people for miles and miles, and we don't stay in it for extended periods of time, after a couple of miles you know where you stand, unless it is really tight, and you keep trimming it up, hoping to eek out another mph. I would like to try a poker-run sometime. We typically cruise at 2600 rpm @42 mph, which at a poker-run would be too slow, but we easily could cruise around 3500-4000 rpm which would be in the hunt with the majority of boats (I think). We don't cruise hard, becuase the faster you cruise the more wear/less reliability you seem to have (typically, not always), that is why a 30 year old boat (the hardware for last 18 years) has been very trouble free, considering we typically will race at least two to four boats per Sunday afternoon, if someone will give us a shot.

Good memories of Barnegat Bay. Thanks for the information, and if I am in the market for a used Mercedes, I am assume you are the one to call? And, in Daytona, find somebody to smoke!!!!!!!!!!!! You gotta try.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Registered

Always trying !
Trim heaven an let it rip !
Wide open 5400 & were outa here !

L.S.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:49 PM
Registered

Always trying !
Trim heaven an let it rip !
Wide open 5400 & were outa here !

L.S.
Funny how this works, I have been "Old School" since November 2000 on this site, because the Magnum was an old school boat I took that handle, but Craig 223's boat is named Old School so I suggested he take my Offshoreonly handle, and I use the Magnum's name, made sense - well the boat is being delivered to its new owner on Saturday in Point Pleasant, the "the Hairy Canary" is going back to the Tom's River area. I guess I will be changing my handle again, "Smarty?" The 15' Whaler with 60hp Johnson is now the hot-rod in the garage.

Stephen "Smarty" Jones

How did you do in the Poker Run, suprise some people with that Cigarette?
Old 06-16-2005, 10:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hairy Canary
Funny how this works, I have been "Old School" since November 2000 on this site, because the Magnum was an old school boat I took that handle, but Craig 223's boat is named Old School so I suggested he take my Offshoreonly handle, and I use the Magnum's name, made sense - well the boat is being delivered to its new owner on Saturday in Point Pleasant, the "the Hairy Canary" is going back to the Tom's River area. I guess I will be changing my handle again, "Smarty?" The 15' Whaler with 60hp Johnson is now the hot-rod in the garage.

Stephen "Smarty" Jones

How did you do in the Poker Run, suprise some people with that Cigarette?
Since October 2000, not November 2000, clerical error

Quick Reply: Post Magnum Pictures

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.