Notices

engine dyno

Old 10-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a sweet moter you have. These are Dart Big M blocks / Brodix heads and intake / Single fuel efficient Demon on top.

Here's one of the slugs we pulled out when it made around 750 HP on race gas.

And the new Diamons pistons we put back in to run pump gas.
Attached Thumbnails engine dyno-race_engines_024.jpg  

Last edited by Velocity Vector; 10-21-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need your old Pistons and ssofort.

PM me please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott

Last edited by DareDevil; 10-21-2008 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocity Vector
Is any dyno accurate on a given day? The dyno is however "repeatable". "Repeatability" is what you want in a dyno, test the same engine time after time and get the same results. Take one of say 10 engines all built the same, change headers or a cam on one of those engines so you get 5% more power, run it against all the others again. It runs 5% faster, you re-dyno it and it still says 5% better, now you have an "accurate" and more importantly, a "repeatable" dyno. Then take the 10 moters to Reher & Morrison for dyno's The numbers are not going to match the other guy's dyno numbers but one of the moters should be 5% better on their dyno as well. This isn't the first time a Mercury Supercat engine has been toned down from it's original 750HP and raceing fuel but from what I have seen with the same parts all dynoed about the same results as these.

VV, a supercat racing motor has around 800 HP they are just called 750's !

The # you have are not right even though you dropped from 14-1 to ,my quess 10-1 compression.
If you still have the drysump it should be more like 730- and wet around 690-700 and they should be still turning at 6200-6800 RPM easy. If you did not change the valvetrain.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

We ran them up to about 6 grand on the dyno, I didn't have enough room for the dry sumps so we put pans on. I think Ray told me these were 9.5/1's we changed the cam everything else is the same. And I never got the cam specs. I talked to a guy the other day and he has supercats and race fuel said he was 45 min. at 7 grand and never looked back. So they have some good parts in them for sure.

Last edited by Velocity Vector; 10-21-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Registered

Default Nice

Those are GREAT parts I know - sounds like the build names on my wicked 406!

Ive Got a demon 850 (w/red inserts) on my 406 Ive never used a finer carb they give you the response of stacks with a killer 4 corner idle and the simplicity of a 4 bbl. If you've never used one you'll love it.

Brodix heads are simply great- I have ported track 1's with 2.10 intakes- not the killer big block setup you have but Im very pleased with them and in a 21ft tunnel I can really haul coal.

Heres a few ilmor picts.

I want a ride in your rig.

Uncle Dave
Laveycraft 2750 -710
Laveycraft 20.8 Sebring
Attached Thumbnails engine dyno-dsc05609.jpg   engine dyno-dsc05618.jpg   engine dyno-dsc05620.jpg  

Old 10-21-2008, 11:44 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B17q8XlR9DAThat is a nice set-up they should last you a long time. It gona be a dragen.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Velocity Vector
I'm anxious as a pig looking at a slop hole thru a gate. Leon at Derebery Performance is doing my rigging in Pottsboro, TX. Can't wait to hear both motors on the high end, they sound great with dry tails.
I hope he takes better care of you than he did me. I bought a pair of 575sci motors from him last August that he rebuilt from the ground up to match (blowers and all)-(took 3 months to build). Starboard side would stall so I had to send the computer back to him to have reprogrammed and install a new engine harness(2 months down time), the the port motor burned 5 qts of oil in the first 5 hrs of running. I found out that they (Derebery) didn't install the splash shield/windage tray, under the intake that caused oil from the cam to splash into the PCV valve(Leon said it didn't have one when he got it so he didn't install one during the assembly-a $40 part on a $17k motor-hmmm). I Got that fixed ,(another $1500 for diagnosis/parts/labor at Absolute speed and Marine in Havasu- 2 months down time) . Now last week the starboard blower rear plate came loose and locked up the blower with 23 hrs on it. Mooneyham in Upland Ca. said "whoever assembled the blower didn't tighten the bolts for the rear plate or the retainer bolts for the front bearings (3 of 6 loosened up completly and were dragging on the drive gears)"down another month.Now that being said, Leon said the blowers were subleted out so technically it's failure is not his fault, and after a year, not his responsibility, BUT his decision to use whoever to build the blower kind of lies on his shoulders, and I've had the boat for for 17 months and it was down for repair for 8 months due to them. I am left with the feeling I should have used a local builder and would have better recourse and/or success...Sorry for the rant..Happy boating.M
Old 10-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Well, I hope it does too. No one wishes the trouble you have had on any one. Leon is local to me and I am a repeat customer. I agree it is nice to be able to swing by and check out the progress.

Last edited by Velocity Vector; 10-24-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Registered

Default Nasty

Originally Posted by Michael Garibay
I hope he takes better care of you than he did me. I bought a pair of 575sci motors from him last August that he rebuilt from the ground up to match (blowers and all)-(took 3 months to build). Starboard side would stall so I had to send the computer back to him to have reprogrammed and install a new engine harness(2 months down time), the the port motor burned 5 qts of oil in the first 5 hrs of running. I found out that they (Derebery) didn't install the splash shield/windage tray, under the intake that caused oil from the cam to splash into the PCV valve(Leon said it didn't have one when he got it so he didn't install one during the assembly-a $40 part on a $17k motor-hmmm). I Got that fixed ,(another $1500 for diagnosis/parts/labor at Absolute speed and Marine in Havasu- 2 months down time) . Now last week the starboard blower rear plate came loose and locked up the blower with 23 hrs on it. Mooneyham in Upland Ca. said "whoever assembled the blower didn't tighten the bolts for the rear plate or the retainer bolts for the front bearings (3 of 6 loosened up completly and were dragging on the drive gears)"down another month.Now that being said, Leon said the blowers were subleted out so technically it's failure is not his fault, and after a year, not his responsibility, BUT his decision to use whoever to build the blower kind of lies on his shoulders, and I've had the boat for for 17 months and it was down for repair for 8 months due to them. I am left with the feeling I should have used a local builder and would have better recourse and/or success...Sorry for the rant..Happy boating.M

Dude that BLOWS!
It's also the first bit of bad PR Ive heard about Derebery.
Probably why you went there in the first place.

Any recourse form the blower shop?
Maybe you could show them Mooneyhams findings and ask someone to step up?

Ive always wondered why these shops dont keep a couple of proven set of medium performance engines around to rent to people while they re-build that way youre not down a whole summer with surprises and issues.

Bummer- I hope VV has better luck as well.

Uncle Dave

Laveycraft 2750 -710
Laveycraft 20.8 Sebring
Old 10-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Registered

Yes, this is why I delt with Derebery. First with Matt Bedoe (who left there), then switched to Leon. Both were very cordial as was the secretary. The thing is, they said the blowers were done by The Blower shop, here in Los Angeles. Either way, I understand that 14 months IS out of warranty. The engine missing the splash shield, on the other hand, was NOT a warranty issue, it was a workmanship issue that should have NO time limit. Leon offered me $400 in "store credit"-Not cash which is all I had asked for and thought THAT was MORE than fair . That is what it would have cost him, at his shop to pay a mechanic ($30 hr) to diagnose the problem, remove the blower and intake ,install the tray,gaskets and spark plugs (fouled). change the oil, set the timing and lake test it. Also I never got an itemized receipt that I asked for at least a dozen times..........Mike

Quick Reply: engine dyno

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.