Notices

Video Camera Reccomendation

Old 07-31-2013, 11:28 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK guys...I'm staying with the original Go Pro Hero 960 I got off a guy going for the upgrade. He wanted $100 but I got it for me buying the drinks at the marina plus $50. Now I have to learn how to drive the damn thing. I can barely see the screen !! Any tips and tricks to these things? This will be my starter...I master this one and I will move up later. I thought there might be something as good but a bit easier to use.

I got all the original boxes, cables, mounts and everything. I'm used to my Nikons and nice big LCD Screens....I have to wear reading glasses to set this up. What setting do I want to use and then just turn it on and go?

Last edited by sprink58; 07-31-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Little late to the party I know but here are my thoughts.

Been using go pro for years and always thought they were the best.

Since then we have gotten sponsored but a company called ION for the race boat. These cameras are AWESOME!!!!

Here are some options:
Water Proof to 30 Feet with no case
One touch button for recording
Records in full HD and regular HD.
Has a 3 hour + battery life while recording.
Wi-Fi capable so you can see it from you smart phone or tablet.

These things are great and simple to use.

Here is the website
http://usa.ioncamera.com/

Thanks and enjoy the go pro these cameras are a great way to make memories!!!
Old 08-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
You are definitely the "Prudent Mariner" and you were alert watching for traffic and changing conditions...but the dude in the back nearly went over the transom more than a few times and finally realized he was on the ragged edge. You must have really had a few "Oh ****" moments after watching this back.

Nice run in a superior piece of equipment. Nothing like a "Don" boat to make the day come together.

Thanks for sharing.
ya after watching it and seeing where he was sitting I learned my lesion.... I even told them both to sit or stand and hold on to the grab bar. didn't know he was going to try to do all three. my sister was good about what I told her to do....
Old 08-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree the Go Pro is the industry standard but I went a different direction. I have a Contour +2. Design right here in the USA. I think they are made here as well. The have built in GPS and link with google maps in post production editing. They are blue tooth an link to my iphone and I can stream the picture prior to start recording as well as during the recording. I would encourage anyone looking for a high performance camera to consider a Contour. They are water resistant without a case and water proof to 60 meters with the case that comes with it, the are set up for a standard 1/4 -20 for just about any tripod made. the lens rotates so you don't have to mount the camera sideways unless you want to. the go pro does not, so if you sides you have to adjust in post production.

Do some simple searches on you tube. There a lot of pro and cons all of the current camera's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggn2vFp7PsQ
Old 08-30-2013, 09:52 AM
Registered

I have a Olympus Stylus Tough. It is supposed to waterproof to ten feet and shockproof from five feet. Haven't dropped it yet but I have used in the rain while running. I have been using it now for three years now. The SD card only provides about thirty minutes of video. Buying a larger card gives you hours of use. But now battery life becomes a issue. A second battery will give you all day video. There is no fisheye like the gopro. With the Panavise suction cup mount it all works pretty darn good.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kinda late to the party on this, but I bought an Astak Action Pro camera several months ago and really like it. Bought it on ebay for like $120 with free shipping. It uses all the standard go pro mounts which is nice.

Heres a link to my youtube channel, all the under water snorkeling vids and the in car race car vids are using that camera.

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?o=U

Good battery life, if did come with a sd card but it was really small so I bought a good one for like $30 or so. Only con is the small ass screen on the detachable LCD display screen.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sprink58
Other than the Go Pro Hero for what it's best for, what is a good budget choice for a digital HD video camera for on the boat use as well as elsewhere.
ION AIR PRO 3 It has some fish eye but it doesn't need to be in a waterproof case it already is waterproof. Takes a standard 1/4 inch mount. Takes great video and you control its features with your i phone. $350