Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Mid Atlantic US
How big for the Chesapeak? >

How big for the Chesapeak?

Notices

How big for the Chesapeak?

Old 02-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll put our two cents in....if you want a great ride and the wife wants a nice cabin, you can't beat the Sonic. OK, so we are partial. We have had 4 Sonics...the 38, 42 or 45 would be great boats. We had our 45 run from Solomons to Chesapeake Beach and back with some members of Molly Hatchet and they had a great time in the rough water. Going back was nicer than the run up but it all depends on the direction of the wind and tide. Look forward to meeting up with you on the Bay or come over to the Potomac River.

Patti and Bill
Old 02-20-2008, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 45sonic
We had our 45 run from Solomons to Chesapeake Beach and back with some members of Molly Hatchet and they had a great time in the rough water.

Patti and Bill
cant miss an opertunity to drop that name can you ? ,

if i was there for the blessing of the bikes i'd be talkin bout it for years to come to

back to the subject , i'm a baby of the bay too , and anything over 28 feet will get you there and home on 90 % of the days on the bay , on the other hand you will be listening to the weather forcast no matter how big your boat is , the bay is fickle like that and the winds can drive waves over the bow of ocean liners , its all fun tho
as for the depths and sand bars , get a good chart plotter , always remember red right return , and have a great time

hope to share a poker run or 2 in the upcoming boating season
Old 02-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Default boat size

Welcome!!!!!!!! I live right across the patapsco from you in edgemere. Are you on stony creek or rock creek.I have been on the bay boating for 43 years.Any performance boat 22' or longer will work ,but the best size is 28'or longer.The bay has some of the most unpredictable waves,especially around hart miller island on the bay side.A 28' boat seems to puts you on 2 waves instead of in the middle of 1.My son's fountain 32' works great with this type wave action. His 202 stinger is great and fast runs 79 gps but it is no good out in the bay with the way the chop is.It has to be 1 footers or less to run any kind of speed.But some times you do what ya got to do to get to jellyfish joels. Look us up. JOHN
Old 02-21-2008, 06:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
Welcome!!!!!!!! I live right across the patapsco from you in edgemere. Are you on stony creek or rock creek.I have been on the bay boating for 43 years.Any performance boat 22' or longer will work ,but the best size is 28'or longer.The bay has some of the most unpredictable waves,especially around hart miller island on the bay side.A 28' boat seems to puts you on 2 waves instead of in the middle of 1.My son's fountain 32' works great with this type wave action. His 202 stinger is great and fast runs 79 gps but it is no good out in the bay with the way the chop is.It has to be 1 footers or less to run any kind of speed.But some times you do what ya got to do to get to jellyfish joels. Look us up. JOHN
I will be launching out of the Magothy. Right out of Sillery Bay, Grays Creek to be specific.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:39 AM
Registered

My new boat will be coming in April. I actually decided to do a little trade with my father. He wanted a smaller boat and I wanted a bigger so it worked out great. It is this boat right here

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o20907-en.html

Since it is my fathers boat I know it really well and have some time behind the wheel. Also if you haven't read the Thunder on the Bay thread, I will be there in this boat.

If anyone sees me, wave me down and introduce yourself.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Now that's a Bay boat. Congrats!
Old 02-23-2008, 06:13 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very cool! Congrats!!
Old 02-23-2008, 06:34 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,297 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Run_em_hard
I will be launching out of the Magothy. Right out of Sillery Bay, Grays Creek to be specific.
I'm looking at a potential house on grays creek, how do you like it there, whats the water like?
Old 02-25-2008, 06:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
I'm looking at a potential house on grays creek, how do you like it there, whats the water like?
I am actually not living there yet. I close on my house next month. From what I have looked at it seems like a good place. The launch ramp looks pleanty deep and the dock is brand new. They have real nice parking after you launch your boat that is locked.

Here is a pick of the ramp. It turned out a little fuzzy but you can still get the idea.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:59 AM
Registered

Here are a couple more pics of the boat that I took this past summer at Lake Powell, Utah...thought that I would share.

Quick Reply: How big for the Chesapeak?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.