How big for the Chesapeak? >

How big for the Chesapeak?

Notices

How big for the Chesapeak?

Old 02-14-2008, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How big for the Chesapeak?

I am new to the East cost. Just moved to Maryland from Utah two months ago. I am looking at moving up from my current 22' Advantage to a larger boat. What is a good size boat to be able to take out any day I want in the summer? I have had my boat in 6-8 footers once and that wasn't fun. My old man has a 31' scarab thunder that I have driven quite a bit so twins are a must. I plan on trips to the ocean about once a month or so. I've been looking at Gun's, Bullets, and some 38' Scarabs and 35&38' Formulas.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:12 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

You can't go wrong with any that you listed. Any of those can take more than the passengers can, for the most part. You didn't give any other requirements except seaworthiness, so I'll throw out some suggestions. If you have a family and kids, and your wife/gf wants more wind protection, the Formula would be a better choice with the glass windshield. Also, an enclosed head may be important. My boat offers very little wind protection, but that's what shades are for
The others are more sporty and will probably be a little faster, depending on power. Of course, I'm more partial to the Cigs. Mine's a wave crusher! However, ANY boat on plane running at speed in 8' waves will be taking a beating. Rarely are the waves that big in the bay unless there's some bad weather nearby.

North end of the bay usually isn't quite as rough as the mouth of the bay, but the waves are typically more choppy and closely spaced. seems to me I can run better in 4' in the ocean vice 4' in the bay.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:22 AM
Registered

I agree with Hollowpoint. The waves are closer together. It can make for a long ride if you are not prepared. I will run my 26' on the bay if I check the conditions. When I was younger, I did not care as much about the weather, learned the hard way after stuffing it hard, in the middle of the bay on a 22' Velocity. I also leave the wife at home, she is not much on "rough" water. I think any of the ones you have listed will be fine. It will take you a couple of times to get used to the "chop" but then you can roll. Try to find "oldschool" on here, he has a TG that runs the bay........
Old 02-14-2008, 07:27 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Run Em, welcome to our slice of paradise First, let me pimp www.cbpba.com to you. We have a huge Dena contingent and they will take over your life with parties, small center console chatter, and strip clubs, what a life Come on over and see what we have going on. Now, Hollowpoint is on the money, the Bay will leave you with a snotty chop, usually no more than 5-6 foot, but spaced much closer together than ocean waves. The ideal boat for comfort is a 38-42 because it normally can span 3 waves and remain basically level at any planing speed. If you want to actually "drive" the boat a 30-33 will require more work throttling and trimming, but will do quite nicely in most any conditions you want to be out in. I will add that I used to run a 34 Silverton Convertible and have had waves over the bow in the Bay also, so no boat is "big enough" under some conditions. I have owned a 40 Formula that was the most comfortable ride I have experienced, but required no "driving". I now run a 31 Formula and have been able to go anywhere I wanted, whenever I wanted, and come back safely-it just requires more driving and a little less speed.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:15 AM
mjb
Registered

Having boated on the middle bay my whole life, I can agree that the waves are spaced much closer together than in the ocean. When you get 4-5 footers in the bay, which happens often, it can be a VERY rough ride. I have had my 38' Top Gun out in many situations where I wish I had more boat. So if your really looking to be able to go out in ANY conditions, I would say a heavy 38' should be the smallest boat choice. If your willing to give up a few bad days then maybe a 35'. Just my .02.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:46 AM
Registered

Its great to get such quick responses. Some more requirements...we do plan on doing some overnights and such so a good cabin is always a plus. But we do spend weeks at a time on our 22' and are happy

I am not looking for awesome speed...my 22' runs into the low-mid 80's and I don't need that . Figure I would be happy with 70, to start

insptech-I have looked into your organization and will join this spring
Old 02-14-2008, 10:29 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,297 Likes on 449 Posts

what blew me away was the avg depth on the bay I had heard was only 18-20 feet, I have been out in many size boats, my last ones were 25 donzi, did ok till waves got to 4 ft, my 31 ft handled it all but like ted says need to drive more, my 42 tiger loves it rough, but last year heading to cambridge for the races was the roughest I have ever been in and my daughter looked at me and said " can the boat take it?", I said yes it can then the storage hatch door in the cabin opened and snapped off..I got the dirtiest look...it can also blow up ugly real quick.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
what blew me away was the avg depth on the bay I had heard was only 18-20 feet, I have been out in many size boats, my last ones were 25 donzi, did ok till waves got to 4 ft, my 31 ft handled it all but like ted says need to drive more, my 42 tiger loves it rough, but last year heading to cambridge for the races was the roughest I have ever been in and my daughter looked at me and said " can the boat take it?", I said yes it can then the storage hatch door in the cabin opened and snapped off..I got the dirtiest look...it can also blow up ugly real quick.
I was extremely suprized when I seen the depth too. I will definetly be investing in a plotter no matter which boat I buy. Even in the middle its only like 50 ft at the deapest. I come from Lake Powell and others that are comparable in depth.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to Maryland. Especially Pasadena. I too live in Pasadena. It's a great place to boat. Send me a PM and I'll hook up with you this spring. I hail out of the Magothy River.
You will definitely enjoy the Chesapeake.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by excalibur27
Welcome to Maryland. Especially Pasadena. I too live in Pasadena. It's a great place to boat. Send me a PM and I'll hook up with you this spring. I hail out of the Magothy River.
You will definitely enjoy the Chesapeake.
I will be coming out of the Magothy as well.

Quick Reply: How big for the Chesapeak?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.