Notices

Operation Dry Water Targets BUI

Old 06-20-2009, 06:52 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Operation Dry Water Targets BUI

Operation Dry Water Targets BUI
[I]This was posted in the general section, but I posted it here also. Dont know what impact we will see but worth remembering

Alcohol continues to be a major contributing factor in recreational boating accidents, injuries and deaths. In an effort to raise awareness about the dangers of combining drinking and boating, the National Assocation of State Boating Law Administrators is spearheading Operation Dry Water. This coordinated, national weekend of boating under the influence (BUI) detection and enforcement is being held June 26-28, 2009. The effort is aimed at reducing the number of alcohol-related accidents and fatalities and to foster a stronger and more visible deterrent to alcohol use on the water.

Operation Dry Water will directly address two strategies of the National Recreational Boating Safety Strategic Plan:
Strategy 6.2, …increase the number of BUI checkpoints to collect and report BUI and safety compliance data in the Performance Report Part II, and
Strategy 6.6 Challenge law enforcement officials to test more operators for alcohol/drug use in accident investigations.
Curbing the number of alcohol-related accidents and fatalities is a key to achieving safer and more enjoyable recreational boating. In 2007, Coast Guard statistics indicate that more than one-fifth (21%) of all boating fatalities were a result of alcohol use. This continues an upward trend in the percentage of fatalities where alcohol was the primary cause of the accident.

Participating agencies are asked to increase BUI enforcement during the targeted weekend. This can be accomplished by
focusing on a particular body of water,
increasing patrols in several locations,
conducting BUI checkpoints in one or more locations, or
undertaking a combination of these activities.
Agencies are also asked to work with their local media to make the public aware of Operation Dry Water as well as the hazards of boating under the influence.

Communications Tools Available at www.OperationDryWater.org
As the weekend of June 26-28 approaches, it’s time to tell the public about Operation Dry Water. Currently 41 states have committed to participating. With this kind of involvement, Operation Dry Water can have a broad impact if we’re using the same materials and sending the same messages.
Today the Operation Dry Water website, http://www.OperationDryWater.org, was unveiled and, with it, several tools that’ll help you implement your campaign. Click on the site’s “For Law Enforcement” tab and you’ll find (or will soon find):
An Operation Dry Water Checkpoint Plan of Operations that details how to plan and implement checkpoints in your state.
A Press Kit that can be used to distribute information about Operation Dry Water to the media and partners.
Public Service Announcements for television, radio and print. All PSAs can be customized with your state’s or agency’s logo and, in the case of those for TV and radio, a mention. Place them in media outlets and other venues.
Flyers (in black and white and in color) that can easily be customized. Just download the Microsoft Word file(s) you wish to use, add your organization’s name and/or logo, and print. These can be used as handouts wherever boaters congregate.
Customizable Posters (in both black and white and color) that can be posted at marinas and retail outlets, handed out at boating classes, and provided to police and fire stations for display.
An Informational Brochure that gives an overview of the dangers and consequences of boating under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs. Provide one to each boater you encounter that weekend (and beyond).
Operation Dry Water logos, talking points and a proclamation – all of which can be used to help you promote this important campaign.
If you have ideas for other items that might help you conduct a successful campaign, please let us know
Old 06-22-2009, 07:07 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Beak Boater

Participating agencies are asked to increase BUI enforcement during the targeted weekend. This can be accomplished by
focusing on a particular body of water,
increasing patrols in several locations,
conducting BUI checkpoints in one or more locations, or
undertaking a combination of these activities.
Thanks for the reminder.

I wonder how many DNR boats are assigned to our area on a regular basis? Seems like Port Tobacco River or Fairview would be likely places for them check people out.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep...especially in light of the accidents an fatalities on the river. The jet ski accident at Belmont that ended a young mans life way to early, last fall the tunnel o/b boat spinning out at Fairview, and injuring his passenger. If the Marine police or CC want to make an impact, how about putting hazard markers around the red day marker just south of Nanjemoy creek, that has caused more accidents than BUI's 3 boats alone on Mem. day weekend hit the rocks. One boater said he was running 40 yards away and hit the submerged rocks took out boat drives. Its only a matter of time till it will cause a fatality.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeh somthing should really be done about that marker with the rocks around it!!
But there are some people out on the water that just dont have a clue... yesterday I was at 4th point in Port Tabacco and some guy in a big cruiser came cruisin by about 20 yards off the point, right over the sandbar, luckily the tied was comming in, I dont know how he made it. Then he turned around and went over it again, I tried to wave him off but he just waved back
Old 06-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Registered

With the economy the way it is most states are going to need federal assistance. I did see a brand new DNR boat running through Belmont Bay on Saturday. I saw Prince William had their boat out Saturday also.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Registered

With the economy the way it is most states are going to need Federal assistance. I did see a brand new DNR boat running through Belmont Bay on Saturday. I saw Prince William had their boat out Saturday also.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm all for this, based on the things I've seen on the water over the years. If these guys want to make an impact, they'll post themselves just outside of Lloyd Creek, Fairlee Creek, Kent Narrows and the east side of Dobbins Island.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:14 AM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I have been told, they are bringing 3 more Game officers this weekend at Colonial Beach. I'm still getting out, just be aware weather it this weekend or another.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Registered

how about putting hazard markers around the red day marker just south of Nanjemoy creek

I think its red marker 8. You dont want to go to the outside of it.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 45SS
With the economy the way it is most states are going to need federal assistance. I did see a brand new DNR boat running through Belmont Bay on Saturday. I saw Prince William had their boat out Saturday also.
Lets get this straight, you come to my back yard and dont even bother to call.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.