Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Mid Atlantic US
Who was out in the Canopied boat today ? >

Who was out in the Canopied boat today ?

Notices

Who was out in the Canopied boat today ?

Old 05-15-2002, 01:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kaamacat
I really don't know where all we're going. A friends father helps put it on and I'm depending on them to show me around. I haven't been to Hartwell since I quit fishing a few years back. If you see a white/blue 41 APACHE with purple head on the side that'd be me. Is there anything special about the alternators that you are trying to get? I'm sure that Tommy @ CHIEF ENGINES could have you what you need by the weekend. 1-954-587-3020. Good luck
Robert
Old 05-15-2002, 07:20 AM
Registered

MedicineMan.....thanks for the offer.

Nope. Nothing special, just some 100amp'rs to replace those old original 37's that came on the KAAMA/Hardin engines. I found a place in TX (that I've seen on eBay), that has them and will order this morning.

Have fun on the run this weekend. (if you not in-the-heat-of-battle)......I'll flag you down if im out on the jetski and get you to stop by the dock.

Good luck !!

Bob
Old 05-15-2002, 12:45 PM
Registered

kaama
There is a place between you and me called Sleepy Hollow that rebuilds electrical components for cars and can get marine stuff too. They are off HWY 20 @ Franklin Gold Mine Rd. Hope you get running. I don't know how much "in the heat of the battle" I will be in, as I just normally cruise around. If you see us wave us down.
Robert
Old 05-15-2002, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kaamacat:
That sucks. Did you try Hardin to see if they had any alternators ?

MEDICINE MAN:
Have you used Sleepy Hollow before ? I'd like to have my alternator converted over to a one wire for ease in re-wiring.
Old 05-15-2002, 09:31 PM
Registered

RunRunner.......I ordered them today ($99each) from a place in Texas. 105amp 1wire. I did get estimates to rebuild the original Motorola units at $50-$70each, so the $99 seemed pretty good.

The website was www.4alterstart.com. I've also seen them advertise on eBay alot. (we will see). I will just have to make sure I run a good 8ga wire and replace the original.....to play it
safe.

That SleepyHollow place MedicineMan mentioned, now that I remember it, I've heard they do good work.

Think I will be down-to-the-wire for me to be out on Memorial Day weekend.
Old 05-16-2002, 01:26 AM
Registered

Yeap,
I've used Sleepy Hollow before, great bunch of guys, and they will treat you right. The problem that I have with the one wire is you normally have to get the alternator to 2000 rpm before it starts charging and that's not good with crash-boxes as the alternators are not charging each time you start the engines. I'll show ya'll when we get together on the water. If you see me coming through cocktail-cove, you'll see what I mean. One engine running, and the other ready to defend my position. See ya'll on the water
Robert
Old 05-16-2002, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MEDICINE MAN

I know what you mean, when I was a kid we had a 41' Bertram with crash boxes it was a pain in the a$$ coming down the canal trying to dock. One motor running in forward, and the other off sitting in reverse. I don't miss those days at all.

You've had good luck from Sleepy Hollow, I guess I'll give them a try.

Doug
Old 05-16-2002, 07:29 PM
Registered

Ok........New term for me to know. Crashbox? (just when you though you knew it all).
Old 05-16-2002, 11:49 PM
Registered

It's a type of transmission. There are no clutches so you have to turn the engine off in order to change from F-N-R. It gets real fun around the dock, especially if the wind is blowing, hence the name "crashbox". It is very durable and can take a bunch of HP. If you ever see someone turning the engine on and off as they approach a dock, they usually have boxes. Hope this clears that up a little.
Robert
Old 05-17-2002, 08:15 AM
Registered

Robert thanks............never knew.

Quick Reply: Who was out in the Canopied boat today ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.