Hurricane Florence >

Hurricane Florence

Notices

Hurricane Florence

Old 09-12-2018, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Hurricane Florence

Boater to Boater, sending all you guys in the path of Florence well wishes and hopes that all goes well. As a victim of Harvey last year, the thoughts and realities are all too familiar. My boat is kept at the lake house between Austin and San Antonio, TX so she will fine. I did lose 4 cars and nearly lost the Excursion, but she luckily made it with about $3000 in replacement work/parts. Still rebuilding details of the house a year later.

Anyway, get your boats to safer ground, put your valuables up high, and hope for the best.

All the best from TX.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by imartin
Boater to Boater, sending all you guys in the path of Florence well wishes and hopes that all goes well. As a victim of Harvey last year, the thoughts and realities are all too familiar. My boat is kept at the lake house between Austin and San Antonio, TX so she will fine. I did lose 4 cars and nearly lost the Excursion, but she luckily made it with about $3000 in replacement work/parts. Still rebuilding details of the house a year later.

Anyway, get your boats to safer ground, put your valuables up high, and hope for the best.

All the best from TX.
Quick Follow up, our local news station set up a Facebook site asking advice from those of us impacted by Harvey that we would give to those that may be impacted by Florence. Providing for your use and knowledge as you see fit:

Here are some of the many suggestions that poured in from KPRC2 Facebook fans:
  • Shane Anderson: "Take lots of pictures hundreds of everything. If you want to keep it take it with you and get out!! File your insurance claims immediately!!!!!! Or you will be at the back of a very long list! Don't fight your insurance company yourself! Hire a public adjuster immediately you will get twice the money to repair your house I did. And I am praying for you this is going to be really bad!"
  • Cindy Newberry Bohy: "Take all important documents with you. If you live in a two-story home, move as much as possible upstairs. If one story, place paint cans under furniture legs to lift. You can also wrap and tie trash bags around table legs. Remove all food from fridge. Unplug everything and shut off main power at breaker box."
  • Pam Carroll: "Put everything you cannot take in plastic trash bags and put up HIGH in closets or on the second floor, even the attic. take phone chargers, laptop chargers. If you have a desktop computer and cannot fit the tower in you vehicle, take the hard drive out or back up everything to the cloud. get a collar for each pet and a tag...even if it simply has your name, pets name, and your phone number on it. Take a few days worth of clothes, change of shoes etc. Personal hygiene items, medications. Let family/friends know you are leaving and where you are when you get there. During the storm and after cell service will be spotty. Text instead of calling. I am sure there are lots more, but this is basic stuff."
  • Tania Beebe Galloway: "Document everything you own. Protect family treasures (photos, heirloom quilts, whatever means the most to you). Love your pets - take them with you if you evacuate. Love and serve one another in the aftermath."