Info Please:  Virginia Boating >

Info Please: Virginia Boating

Notices

Info Please: Virginia Boating

Old 04-15-2020, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Info Please: Virginia Boating

Hey my Virginia brethren - I'm over here in Deale, MD and need to get out and do some boating to break-in my new motors and some other post rerig shakedown testing. Maryland has a complete ban on recreational boating and enforcing it. Virginia does not.

With all the social distancing stuff in mind, can anyone point me to decent body of water and a good launch ramp. DC is the closest, but I don't want to boat in the District and nearly all of the Potomac looks like Maryland jurisdiction until you are fairly far south to the bay.

Any thoughts on the Rappahannock? Port Royal is closest to me, but the water looks skinny. Launching and running my 32' Sunsation. Open to ideas. Thanks,
Old 04-15-2020, 08:28 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 122 Likes on 63 Posts

Damn....no good place for you to go from there. I keep my boat on the Rappahannock but at the point it meets the bay (Windmill Pt). For that river you really need to run down close to Tappahannock. Even there the river is wide but the bulk of the river is shallow. Certainly have to stay in the channel!
Old 04-15-2020, 08:41 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 541 Posts

The Rappahannock is actually beautiful, but many of the ramps just kind of suck up in the Tappahannock area and ANY further North of Tappahannock IS boatable, in the channel, but the channel goes away. There is plenty of river to run even north Tappahannock though,

T500HPs/Russ keeps his Formula 400SS there here in the water; they have a restaurant that is probably open for take out, but call to confirm.
https://marinas.com/view/marina/d9c3..._United_States

The town of Urbanna is a great place to visit.
I can highly recommend some great food/takeout here:
https://urbannarawbar.com/

And so is the town of Deltaville. I can recommend grabbing take out here.
https://www.dvlrawbar.com/

You could also consider getting on your horse and going to Smith Mountain Lake, out toward Roanoke VA. It's absolutely gorgeous out there. But I'm not sure how CV19 is affecting things. That area doesn't really "wake up" until after Memorial Day.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 04-15-2020 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Uh ya... boating down here is considered acceptable social distancing. 😬😎

Old 04-16-2020, 08:24 AM
Registered

Thank you for the great tips, the links and the great photo (right on for the social distancing on the water...Maryland DNR really missed the mark on this by banning boating). Urbanna may be the best choice for me. I have SML on my list, but it is a bit of a hike for me without an overnight. Can anyone recommend the best ramp in Urbanna (boat is stepped hull / Myco trailer = higher bunks) would prefer a ramp that is somewhat deep.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:57 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 122 Likes on 63 Posts

A buddy has a 37 AT and has looked all over the place for a decent ramp from Tappahannock to the bay. Best 2 are at Windmill Pt. and Belle Isle state park. Most of the rest he can't use at low tide (both public ramps)
Old 04-16-2020, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Another possible thought is Lake Anna. Its about a 2hr trip so a little closer than Urbanna. This time of year not many are out so you can open it up. Head over toward the Damn for the least amount of boat traffic. I launch at Sturgeon Creek Marina. A guy named Gary runs Performance Marine there if you have any issues. When you get hungry head to the 208 bridge and go to Vitos and for a beer go to Lake Anna Tap House. The Tap House is at the same dock as Vitos.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:32 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by waterplay
Another possible thought is Lake Anna. Its about a 2hr trip so a little closer than Urbanna. This time of year not many are out so you can open it up. Head over toward the Damn for the least amount of boat traffic. I launch at Sturgeon Creek Marina. A guy named Gary runs Performance Marine there if you have any issues. When you get hungry head to the 208 bridge and go to Vitos and for a beer go to Lake Anna Tap House. The Tap House is at the same dock as Vitos.
Agree. Lake Anna is only 13 miles long. But there is plenty of room to let it rip for a first season test blast. I usually did this with my 37AT. Sturgeon Creek or Anna Point marinas are probably best.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:23 AM
Registered

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions. I think Lake Anna is the best solution for me.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Run in where you are. Buy a fishing license and throw a rod in your boat. If you get stopped tell DNR that your boat payment is so high that you can't afford food and you are "fishing for subsistence"!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.