Notices

Virginia Lakes

Old 07-14-2020, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Virginia Lakes

Does anyone have any info on Virginia lakes? Largest, smallest, any with sound or speed restrictions? I'm looking to get away from the New York area. Recently retired and want to move south so boating season will be longer. Thanks!!!
Old 07-16-2020, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 300 Likes on 162 Posts

I think smith mountain lake will be the largest and prettiest. Lake Anna would probably be second, but it’s closer to D.C. and is extremely crowded. Does it have to be a lake? There’s plenty of great spots on the Potomac, Rappahannock, James River and Chesapeake Bay. But out of all the boatable waters in Virginia, Smith Mountain Lake will be hands down the prettiest. You may also want to broaden your horizons into the Carolinas, there are a lot more options there and better climate.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:04 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 125 Likes on 64 Posts

Va is probably quite appealing to northerners since VA has had such a heavy influx of outsiders the last 10-15 years it's turned blue. I used to love this state but have come to the realization I will have to retire elsewhere.

I've spent very little time on any of VA lakes but the boating is pretty good on the rivers/bays. So many options to choose from and each have their appeal.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by t500hps
Va is probably quite appealing to northerners since VA has had such a heavy influx of outsiders the last 10-15 years it's turned blue. I used to love this state but have come to the realization I will have to retire elsewhere.

I've spent very little time on any of VA lakes but the boating is pretty good on the rivers/bays. So many options to choose from and each have their appeal.
I got out of that sh!thole in 2016 and the only reason I would ever go back is for a wedding or a funeral. Virginia SUCKS!!
Old 07-16-2020, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks guys for honest opinions. I was thinking South Carolina but was afraid of the humidity July/August. Want a little longer boating season and don't want the NY taxes. Was not stuck on lakes, but don't know enough about the rivers.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wharf Rat 1
Thanks guys for honest opinions. I was thinking South Carolina but was afraid of the humidity July/August. Want a little longer boating season and don't want the NY taxes. Was not stuck on lakes, but don't know enough about the rivers.
I highly recommend the Carolinas over Virginia, especially if you’re retired. I got transferred to Charlotte NC in 2016 from Northern Virginia and we bought a home on lake Wylie and absolutely LOVED the area, unfortunately I was recently transferred again to St. Petersburg Fl, but we will definitely be retiring back to South Carolina. While it does get hot there, you do have 4 seasons and the state is beautiful and friendly.