Personal Property Taxes South Carolina on Boat >

Personal Property Taxes South Carolina on Boat

Notices

Personal Property Taxes South Carolina on Boat

Old 04-21-2023, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 161 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Personal Property Taxes South Carolina on Boat

Personal Property Taxes South Carolina on Boat. I know that you have to pay annually. Can someone tell me roughly what the taxes that are collected on a boat with a value of lets say 100,000 just to get an idea.

How do they determine the value if you are moving from another state when you already own the boat and paid all fees.

Thanks in advance.
The following users liked this post:
speicher lane (05-13-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 33 Posts

I’ve got a 2008 24’ Superboat with a 2015 300XS. They tax outboards separately here. I think I pay annual tax @ $320. It goes down every year. IIRC they value my boat/motor @ $40K

Where in SC are you moving to?
Old 05-22-2023, 12:16 PM
Registered

Been looking into the Irmo area
Old 03-04-2024, 02:08 PM
Registered

Still haven't really gotten an answer. But I believe it is a big number. I was adding up like 2 cars, 5th wheel, Center Console and thought that the value is around 225,000+ I looked at the Lexington Personal Vehicle Calculator and the annually cost would be around 6-7k per year forever. Can this possibly be correct. Cars are at 6% and Boats/Rv at 10%. Am I missing something? Please help
Old 03-04-2024, 03:36 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

In Virginia, it depends on the county. There are some that do not collect PPTX on boats, RVs, and/or airplanes; SELECTIVELY.

Such may the same in South Carolina. But I do not know.
You may chose to "lease" a "parking spot" so your vehicle is "primarily garaged" in a county that does not collect PPTX on said item.

There are also high mileage exemptions. If you have a vehicle with documented high mileage, it does not carry book value, and therefor is taxed less. You have to fill out a form at the county treasurers/commissioner of revenue office.

My exGF is a former county treasurer in King William County, Virginia.
A very good friend is a former county treasurer in Culpeper County, Virginia.

My boats were always "garaged" in Prince William County, Virginia. All of my registrations for boat trailers and boats themselves went to my buddy's house where I "leased parking".
Why? Because PWC is just south of DC, and where a majority of the marinas that service the Washington DC market, are located. The county chose to NOT charge PPTX on boats and rather makes TONS of revenue off of taxable items like sales tax on fuel, storage, maintenance, parts, etc. etc. for boats that are "garaged/moored" in PWC as opposed to other counties all around DC that charge PPTX on boats.

Culpeper County, Virginia is the same way, but for airplanes. They have a rather large regional airport. May people who live in the greater DC/Northern VA air choose to "house" their planes in Culpeper for the exact same reason as PWC does on boats.

Do some digging.

FWIW, my parents first moved to Arizona from Chicago when they retired, for "cheap taxes." That had whole host of real world issues that "were not in the brochure" when they moved out there.

Then they moved to Greer, South Carolina.
Some problem. Cheap taxes equals the worst infrastructure on the eastern seaboard. Power out all the time. Roads are CRAP; mechanics make fortunes replacing tires, wheels, and suspensions. Healthcare system is COMPLETELY overtaxed, which led to the death of my stepmother as it took months to get in for an appointment, in which time her cancer (previously and poorly treated in Arizona), came back and was terminal when it did. Talk to real people about real issues. Don't just "read the brochure" so to speak.

You always know when you cross into South Carolina on I-95. You IMMEDIATELY hit a pothole.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 03-04-2024 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 213 Posts

Sydwayz do you know if they have ppt on boats in the Smith Mountain Lake area?
Old 03-05-2024, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 64 Posts

I notice a lot of large boats, RV's and luxury cars registered in Montana.... I'm guessing it's a way to avoid taxes & licensing fees?
Old 03-05-2024, 10:25 AM
Registered

Apparently South Carolina is not the state for someone who likes toys.....Boats, Outboards, 5th Wheels, Vehicles. Will honestly add up to 10K+ in annual taxes.
The following users liked this post:
105Fountain (03-05-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 10:50 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Craney
Sydwayz do you know if they have ppt on boats in the Smith Mountain Lake area?
3 Counties in the SML area. You'd have to do some research. I don't know offhand.
Franklin, Bedford, and Pittsylvania

I do LOVE Smith Mountain Lake, but it's pretty isolated. It's far from everything.
Another option to look into is Kerr Lake and Lake Gaston. They both straddle the VA/NC line, and are right off of I-95. Again, multiple counties surrounding.
Both lakes are controlled by the Army Corps of Engineers, so there are are restrictions on your dock/build, etc. But plenty of folks make it work.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 03-05-2024 at 12:15 PM.