Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Midnight Express
32' Midnight restoration project >

32' Midnight restoration project

Notices

32' Midnight restoration project

Old 02-15-2017, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Pete - I just got the diagnosis on the Magnum tank, it has a 2" crack on the bottom right under one of the baffles. The baffle location, open distance to the bottom and the welding technique were all called into question which gets me upset. The tank was also 1/8" material and I thought I was supposed to have 3/16th's... The foam coverage and thickness was another contributing factor.(which I had a hand in) Both main tanks are being replaced and installed by a very experienced racer/boat builder/shop. Funny, my 3 remaining original tanks all pressure tested ok. Now I keep my fingers crossed on the Midnight... we put a lot more foam around those tanks but if I have a problem it will be really serious because the port side is completely glassed in.
I'm counting on crossing paths at some point this summer!
- M
Attached Thumbnails 32' Midnight restoration project-50878139442__51f46071-f645-4757-9dc1-020790e0c7f0.jpg  
Old 02-22-2018, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by captaincraiger
Restoring 1982 32' Midnight express from twin arneson drives to triple outboard. I have been working on the project for 1 1/2 years so far. I have the bracket installed, Just finished rigging all the gauges & installing control boxes. Working on the steering system & putting the engines togethor . Will have pictures downloaded this week.
I always believed I/O's to be superior when it came to speed and a well balanced boat for rough waters, may I ask what made you decide to go to out boards?
Old 02-22-2018, 02:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by intotwins
Here's my 32, just got done having Mark McManus rig the entire boat and put some 350's on it.
Beautiful boat! how do you like the 350's? is it enough power for her size? what kind of speeds are you seeing>
Old 02-26-2018, 07:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JohnJ70
Beautiful boat! how do you like the 350's? is it enough power for her size? what kind of speeds are you seeing>
I didn’t have the 350’s long. Blew a motor after about 10 hours. Most I saw was 77 mph.