Rental on Cumberland

Notices

Rental on Cumberland

Old 02-22-2024, 10:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 840 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Just be willing to do an interior refresh once its rental-life is done. Really no way to accurately vet renters up front, only on the backside as to whom you would not rent to again. As stated above, be ready to replace provided items on occasion. I've rented at LOTO from the same gal for years and I'm constantly having to buy kitchen items to replace those that prior renters have taking or broken and thrown away. Normally it is minor stuff like a can opener. Last year I had to buy a showerhead! WTF?! Who takes a showerhead?!
Knot,

I don't know, man. I've had showers under some really nice showerheads. Interestingly enough, back when dad was still with us, he had friends rave about one showerhead in specific. Don't really know what it is about it, but it was a thing. It's still in the house. Might have to keep an eye on it.

Thanks. Brad.
Old 02-22-2024, 11:11 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Total revenue and there is no mortgage
I don't want mine rented all the time. Many places around the lake are rented much more then mine, but they also have more maintenance

Vrbo side rent is higher because vrbo changes more. I could have a rate based on how many are staying but then I have to check and don't want to do that. I ask for Govt ID and be at least 25. There is always a possibility that someone's Dad will book the place and all the kids show up, just part of the risk. My average count is around 8, and it's a 4BR 2B with 7 queen beds, 14 max.

Have had 2 groups which took more time to clean up in the 8 years of owning.
First was 6 golf buddies which there was to much alcohol (what could go wrong) and someone peed the bed. Good thing is mattress protector but otherwise no damage. Lost their cookies outside on the grass

Second was what we call the Gatoraid bunch. Two families with small kids and parents didn't watch the kids. There was spills of the sticky mess under the bed and couch.
AllDodge,

Thanks for the info. Nothing that doesn't seem like common sense, though.

My dad had a friend that had two houses on Norris. Both were co-owned with a business partner (both lived in the Dayton area); one was for personal use for both of them as a vacay home, the other was strictly investment. The investment house slept 28 I think (I know him, and we've talked, but I've never been there), commanded something like $5800/wk on peak, and netted ~$90K/yr. It was booked pretty much year-round.

Ours is a 5Br, 4B, has a 270° mostly unobstructed view of the lake from a deck that spans the rear width of the house, overlooking Burnside Marina, where I seem to be on an eternal waiting list for a slip. The house is 10-15min from Walmart and all the dining options you'd need (several closer), 5min from the marina, 7min from probably the best ramp on the lake (opinions vary), 20-25min from Conley Bottom, but you feel like your all alone on the deck. You have to work at seeing the neighbor on one side and can't see the other at all. We can comfortably sleep ten adults and can make accommodations for several kids if need be (sleeper sofa, a couple small rollaway beds and several inflatables). It's really hard for me to not see the investment potential, but the wife is on the fence, at best, about any real rental campaign efforts, for the above-mentioned reasons.

Thanks. Brad.
Old 02-22-2024, 10:42 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 944 Posts

I would start by only renting it out to friends or friends of friends with recommendations about the potential renters
Old 02-23-2024, 04:41 AM
Registered

Received 750 Likes on 275 Posts

I’d rent it out to the max with a stiff security deposit until it was paid off. Vacation somewhere else in the meantime. At retirement, update/renovate and move in.
The following users liked this post:
ICDEDPPL (02-26-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 06:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Griff
I would start by only renting it out to friends or friends of friends with recommendations about the potential renters
Griff,

We've done that a couple times. The wife feels funny taking money from friends, so they've learned to hand it to me.

We have discussed doing this very thing moving forward, at least for the time being. Maybe doing this will get her over the hump and ease her mind a bit.

I think you recently picked up at least your second unit on LOTO. Do you rent YOUR unit out, or keep one for your own and rent another out? Curious....

Thanks. Brad.

Last edited by Brad Christy; 02-23-2024 at 06:57 AM.
Old 02-23-2024, 06:55 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Hoodoo 2.0
I’d rent it out to the max with a stiff security deposit until it was paid off. Vacation somewhere else in the meantime. At retirement, update/renovate and move in.
Hoodoo,

Oh, I'm not gonna quit going to MY lake. We do vacay elsewhere when we actually "VACAY", but we still spend several weekends a year, year-round, and usually at least one week a year there, typically the week between Labor Day and the PokerRun. But I'd be game for renting it as much as possible any time we're not gonna be there, and just blocking out any time we want to use it.

Thanks. Brad.
Old 02-24-2024, 08:14 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

I know I would like to get away for a week at a time to different places. I wonder how you would develope a trust factor with people. I'm ex-military and believe leaving things in better condition than before you got there, but don't know anyone here personelly. But not everyone has that mentallity. Zoom meetings? References? Hard one to figure out.
Brad Christy (02-27-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 01:09 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
Griff,

We've done that a couple times. The wife feels funny taking money from friends, so they've learned to hand it to me.

We have discussed doing this very thing moving forward, at least for the time being. Maybe doing this will get her over the hump and ease her mind a bit.

I think you recently picked up at least your second unit on LOTO. Do you rent YOUR unit out, or keep one for your own and rent another out? Curious....

Thanks. Brad.
I don't rent out my my primary condo at all. We thought about it originally, but then decided it defeated the purpose of why we bought it. We use it a lot and leave too much personal stuff there and like the flexibility of being able to go whenever and leave whenever. I can literally can just get in the car and go without packing a thing. I usually pack a few things, but it's minimal.
The second condo is undergoing a total remodel, gutted to the drywall and more. Hoping to have it 95% done by mid May. It may get rented out some in the future. That will depend on how much it is getting used by my mom and the rest of the family. My mom wanted a place that she get away and still be able to take her dog with and she is the primary owner.
Knot 4 Me (02-26-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 01:27 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Before and now

ICDEDPPL (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 4,549 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
I like this idea, I`m willing to test it out for ya , no charge
My wife hates the launches..doesnt wanna go back .... while I tell her to grow a pair she doe have a point , they are scary steep, I thought LOTO had steep launches but Cumberland is crazy. I thought for sure my straps were going to give up and the boat was going to end up on the concrete

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 02-26-2024 at 11:02 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.