why no 36 using ASD?

Notices

why no 36 using ASD?

Old 12-17-2005, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: why no 36 using ASD?

Originally Posted by Jassman
This is my take on it...This should also be asked in the gen. forum.....Boat Manufactures want to sell what sells easiest for them, all of them, and also what they have come acustomed to installing. The Quicker so many times you do it means more profit. They dont want to do R&D on something different, why fix what's not broken. Custom isn't custom anymore, and then what happens is sometimes the boats get set up wrong, so now it's the Surface drives fault. Hustler is the only one that ventures somewhat on the wild side by putting surface drives (ARNESON) on their V's. Beleive me, the boat drives as good, docks as well, no clunking into gear, way more dependable, gets up on plane as good.... if rigged and propped properly, but resale sucks because of the lack of knowledge of general public cause the dealer or boat manufactures doesnt want to educate them, nor has the time to educate their own employees or themselves, in sales and service. So now it becomes a morfadite. Internationally, like the races today on Spike, all the V's had surface drives, what do they know what we dont, or dont want to learn. Servicing them is easier, again once you go through them, just like anything else. Its unfortunate that Mercury has such a strangle hold on this industry, kind of like racing, but I will shut up on that. My next boat will have trip ASD-7's with a manufacturer who is willing to set the boat up right for my application.
well said, its to bad these don't get the credit they deserve. i have never heard anyone that has owned one not like it. why would you not like something that never breaks?
Old 12-17-2005, 11:39 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassman
If enough people with balls got together and said the hell with you Mercury and your prices, (I commend Ilmor) and relized there were other alternatives that were more effecient out there, and were given a chance to not be banned in racing like(Weisman) and a few others, the competion would make Mercury improve (like on their bravos) and lower the prices. Mercury has to much control, again just my take on it.
I think your right on the Mercury hold on the market. My next boat will have Trimax drives on it. Maybe the BPM built by Arneson like Dave has on the 46'. But I'm going to be running TURBINES so what do I care about resale.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by License To Thrill
Arneson BPMs make the Trimax drives look like toothpicks. However, Tommy Bahama used them and as far as I can remember never had a problem with the Trimax. They had lots of other problems but not with the drives. Callan uses BPM drives also.

Properly maintained, neither drive is going to break.
Dave has Trimax drives on his new turbine baot they look sweet and there very strong according to Randy. But BPMs don't require drop boxes like Trimax but the price is almost the same.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by License To Thrill
Yes, Randy Scism says he prefers the BPMs for that reason. Anyways it's good to see somebody do something different in a pleasureboat. But what about docking with those fuel-sucking turbines? Have you thought about a jet-powered outboard like Jet Set has?
The fuel don't bother me at 2.50 a gal for the turbine compared to 5.50 a gal on race fuel. Turbine burn more all around but if you look at 1500hp to 1500hp in fuel alone it's better with turbines but think about 2000hrs to 100hrs maybe on pistons.$$$$
Old 12-19-2005, 06:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3600, i say go with the Tri max drives with weisman gear box with the t-53's in your new 42 carbon MTI and i believe 210mph is attainable. I think loto will have 5 of the fastest boats on the water this summer. Hell 160mph is nothing anymore . you guys are crazy with those speeds.