3600 Supercat hop ? >

3600 Supercat hop ?

Notices

3600 Supercat hop ?

Old 02-12-2011, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3600 Supercat hop ?

A friend of mine is looking into getting a new to him cat and has been down to the Factory and likes the boat, but he told me yesterday that everybody he talks to says you need 850hp+ in one to get rid of the hop they have. I am not a cat guy so don't know but since he is just using it on the Potomac most of the time he is looking for 600-700hp but still with 6's so he can run it more than work on it. He had a 36 Spector with big power and Bravo style drives and it ate them up. Any truth to that? Now he's looking at Skater and MTI too.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Registered

Smile

You dont want bravos on a 3600 Supercat... Just go with reliable 700s/nxts if you dont want problems..... As far as the "hop" goes,, ive noticed it before,, and im sure its an issue with others,,, but it just comes down to what you like... Your either a Nortech guy,, or you'll look at the other cats out there.... Nortech always "blingy" if your into that...

Good luck..!!!
Old 02-12-2011, 02:30 PM
Banned

PokerRun,
I am not trying to get on your case, but people come here to OSO with questions about their boats and to get information about problems or specific issues with specific boats. You do not help anyone when you post to a thread like this or the other thread from a guy who has never owned a cat and was looking for good, true feedback about a cat when your experience is simply reading magazines about these boats. I am sure anyone who spends time here knows who you are and they would not take your information as first person, but the danger lies in the first timer you answered about the bounce of a cat thinking you have experience about what you post here. He would not know you do not own a cat and have no boating experience and you diminish the value of forums like this. It is hard enough for someone to weed through all the different opinions of all the people who actually have owned and operated these boats without your answers to threads you know nothing about. I do not want to hurt your feelings, but add to a thread if you have true knowledge or experience that will help and do not pretend to know the answer to something specific about a Nor-tech cat. As far as your question about my 36, you have asked the same thing of me over and over again and I have answered you many times. Either you don’t read the answer or you forget, but you do ask me over and over again the same thing. You will know when I go to Havasu and it will not be before the end of the month, as I am really busy at work now and do not have time. Sorry to be testy with you, but your answers to threads like this irritate me.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:59 PM
GK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The hop thing is absolutely normal on the 36's and it usually happens between 65-80 mph. (Most Cats have the same thing). I run big power with Merc #6 drives on my Nor-Tech. You can reduce the hop considerably when you learn how to drive the boat correctly. Correct use of throttle, tabs, and trim is key. The hop is nothing more than the boat trying to settle in. My boat now seldom hops since I learned how to drive it.
The following users liked this post:
Cms51 (06-30-2022)
Old 02-13-2011, 12:06 AM
GK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Also, your concern about big power with Bravo's. Bravo's are not designed for big power, of course the drives will blow up. For 700's use NXT's and anything bigger Merc #6's if you want reliability.
The following users liked this post:
Cms51 (06-30-2022)
Old 02-13-2011, 02:39 AM
Registered

Boats not for me and I don't want Bravos on any boat, just saying he had them on his Spector with 800hp ish and blew them. He has heard that with the lower hp 700ish he wants now and 6's are going to put his cruise speed right where the boat has a hop. I figured people were telling him wrong and it was just setup but that is what OSO is for. He is looking in the 200k range at used ones other wise I am sure he would order it with 700/nxt drive but he aint getting that for 200k
Old 02-13-2011, 02:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PokerRun388
You dont want bravos on a 3600 Supercat... Just go with reliable 700s/nxts if you dont want problems..... As far as the "hop" goes,, ive noticed it before,, and im sure its an issue with others,,, but it just comes down to what you like... Your either a Nortech guy,, or you'll look at the other cats out there.... Nortech always "blingy" if your into that...

Good luck..!!!
I bet you've had a lot of experience. People actually utilize the opinions they get form this site. Be careful of the "advice" you give. It's not necessarily the right advice and can cause someone lots of $$$$. As OSD said, state opinions, not facts.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:10 AM
wgg
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Most cats have some sort of a hop or porpoise at a certain speed. It is more severe on some. I had a 36 Spectre with 800 hp and no tunnel tab and at 60 to 80 it would hop .At 90 it went away. It is at the point where the hull is least efficient and trying to lift and release air. I currently have a 36 Nor Tech with 1000+ Hp and #6s. It does have a tendency hop but as GH said to with proper trim, tab, PROP selection it can be minimized. The big power doesnt eliminate it, it just gives you more control and more options. That coupled with a little seat time and you will hardly notice it. Water conditions also have an impact,flat water makes it more noticable than chop. The Nor Tech really is at home in rough slop.It may not be in the same league as Skater or Mti, but dollar for dollar it is hard to beat
Old 02-13-2011, 08:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wgg
Most cats have some sort of a hop or porpoise at a certain speed. It is more severe on some. I had a 36 Spectre with 800 hp and no tunnel tab and at 60 to 80 it would hop .At 90 it went away. It is at the point where the hull is least efficient and trying to lift and release air. I currently have a 36 Nor Tech with 1000+ Hp and #6s. It does have a tendency hop but as GH said to with proper trim, tab, PROP selection it can be minimized. The big power doesnt eliminate it, it just gives you more control and more options. That coupled with a little seat time and you will hardly notice it. Water conditions also have an impact,flat water makes it more noticable than chop. The Nor Tech really is at home in rough slop.It may not be in the same league as Skater or Mti, but dollar for dollar it is hard to beat
hey BIG Daddy or just but a SKATER
Old 02-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mastercraft240
I bet you've had a lot of experience. People actually utilize the opinions they get form this site. Be careful of the "advice" you give. It's not necessarily the right advice and can cause someone lots of $$$$. As OSD said, state opinions, not facts.
If we give this kid acpl hundred of 1 dollar bills , maybe he will find he likes strip bars better than offshore boats...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.