Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Nordic
1st time out - My Heat is Sloooooow!!!! >

1st time out - My Heat is Sloooooow!!!!

Notices

1st time out - My Heat is Sloooooow!!!!

Old 05-17-2005, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st time out - My Heat is Sloooooow!!!!

Finally got my new (to me) Heat out on Sat. Its a 2000 with a stock merc. 502 with 180 hrs. My last three boats all had Blown 600+ HP motors so this felt very very slow to me. Saw 61 mph (gps) at 4900rpm with a 24 bravo (whats the slip on that?) at 4480' elevation, 68 degrees temp. Noticed the boat does not like much trim, starts throwing a big rooster and scrubbing speed pretty quick after about 1/4 up on the trim gauge. Also ran very rich (filthy transom) but I guess it never got out of "enrich mode" due to the cold lake temp - engine water temp never broke 120. Oh well I guess I'd better start saving my pennies (and c-notes) for a Whipple in the fall. Anyone have one they want to donate to a good cause
Old 05-17-2005, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 1st time out - My Heat is Sloooooow!!!!

Hey Shane,
I don't have to tell you about living in these parts. Actually that's not bad though, my old boat that now has the 500EFI in it is running about 65 to 66 GPS at best. You must have been out at Utah Lake to be at that low elevation though
I do have a question; Did someone remove the thermostat? You'd better check because you should be running 160-180 regardless of the water temp. We've been running up at Pineview and the water is basically ice water right now and we are all seeing 160-180 running temps.
A recirculating system should run at the desired temp under any condition unless the thermo has been stolen
Bring her up to Pineview Sunday. We had six Nordics out there this past Sunday
Dave

Last edited by Nordicflame; 05-17-2005 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:29 PM
Registered

Dave,

I also wondered about the temp after I water tested the boat before I bought it and had assumed someone had pulled the Thermostat so I bought a new 160 last week. There was allready one in there but I went ahead and replaced it as I had the new one. Still temp stayed about 110. My buddy with a Carb 500hp says his stays that low as well in cold water. I know a closed system like the 496 will stay constant but won't a system like the 502 be affected by lake water temp? Do you think I have a problem?
Old 05-17-2005, 11:36 PM
Registered

Yes I was at Utah Lake - wanted to get close to Lake Powell elevation so I would know what to expect down there as I will be boating there the most often.

Damn, you allmost had a regatta up there - Can't make it up next Sunday (yard work ) and will be in Powell the following but I'd love to get up there and hook up with you guys sometime. Will I get harrassed for no mufflers and Oregon reg.?
Old 05-18-2005, 08:00 AM
Registered

Me and another friend were talking Sunday about temps. He just purchased a 29 Baja with twin 454Mags Missouri or some where back there. He was also a previous blower guy like myself and he was mentioning that it was strange to see his temps at 180 on both motors. That would be a good comparison with yours so something does seem odd there. The EFI motors need some temp to make the ECU happy.

We're alway up there and have a good group. Look forward to seeing you up there.
No patrols as of yet but they will be there. Beings your not a regular there, the tags should be a non issue.

Yea, Powell can be a hp eater. Nothing like trying to get some speed running on a 107 degree day on glass water at 3600 feet
Old 05-18-2005, 05:34 PM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy Ricky just got his new 2004 Heat and put his 502 MPI out of his old Baja in it. This winter we are looking at making it a 565 with good heads, intake, & carb with probally 650-675HP. That should get him in the 80+ range. we are going boating this Sunday for the first ride.

I wish Nordic would have put a belly tank in the heat. As far as that goes I wish I had two belly tanks and storage on the the sides. My flame slows down with the side tanks full and the belly tank empty on top end. I think the weight of the side tanks, being higher causes the boat to be too bow heavy. The weight is working in the wrong leverage.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:20 AM
Registered

Interesting thought on the tanks Linnie.
Since I ran out of gas when running on the sides (thought I was on belly) I've only used the belly. I wouldn't know the difference at this point but I guess I'm doing it right Learn as I go I suppose.
I do however, really, really miss the storage hole

Question Linnie, why a 565 and not 540? The Gen V/VI block isn't that conducive to large bores or strokes bigger than 4.25. Great block and is what I use, but it does have it's limits. Just curious
Also BobL (Full Throttle Marine) has 2004 Heat with ITS is running a 555 (Merlin block) with fully ported Brodix heads, 741 cam 9.5:1 CR, Lightning headers and is around 625hp. Top speed so far is 76
The Heat needs a SC
My 2001 stepped Heat with 575hp/540 prior to the SC was a 73/74mph boat; 90 with the SC.
Oh yea, Bob's in the process of installing a 3.3L Whipple on that motor
Stay tuned
Dave

Last edited by Nordicflame; 05-19-2005 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:28 PM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Dave

The reason is the best bang for the buck is the biggest you can build with existing parts.

You can bore a 502 block to 4.600 very easy. I did a sonic test and posted a thread last winter on it. It still has .300 wall thickness at that bore. It is essentially a Bow Tie block in that area. The crank is the same, rods are the same, just bigger pistons

Cubic inches equal power
Old 05-19-2005, 06:52 PM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Linster
Dave

The reason is the best bang for the buck is the biggest you can build with existing parts.

You can bore a 502 block to 4.600 very easy. I did a sonic test and posted a thread last winter on it. It still has .300 wall thickness at that bore. It is essentially a Bow Tie block in that area. The crank is the same, rods are the same, just bigger pistons

Cubic inches equal power
The ITS is only for cats and a drive that is mounted too low!
Old 05-20-2005, 08:28 AM
Registered

Linnie,
that combo will only get you 532 c.i. and make for a one time block.
Stroke it to a 540 and bore notch the block for a proven combination with tons of torque
Of course you could bore it to 4.600 and put a 1/4 stroker crank in there and get your 565 c.i. That would be a great powerehouse.

Just my thoughts,
Dave

Quick Reply: 1st time out - My Heat is Sloooooow!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.