Compare Nordic and Velocity please >

Compare Nordic and Velocity please

Notices

Compare Nordic and Velocity please

Old 05-22-2006, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compare Nordic and Velocity please

I would like information comparing Nordic and Velocity. Does anyone have any experience to do so? Particularly interested in comparison between the 290SC and the 28 Heat.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:39 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 873 Likes on 322 Posts
Default Re: Compare Nordic and Velocity please

Originally Posted by gofastmarine
I would like information comparing Nordic and Velocity. Does anyone have any experience to do so? Particularly interested in comparison between the 290SC and the 28 Heat.
Owed a 28, never been in a Velocity, but as far as looks go...Nordic without a doubt.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ive driven a 290 the hull is great. I have a 06' 260 im lookin to blow out!
Old 05-22-2006, 07:29 PM
Registered

Nordic Looks Great
Velocity NOT!
Old 05-23-2006, 06:48 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never been in a Nordic... great looking boats though.

Been in plenty Velocity(s)! Fast and well built. Nothing turns like a Velocity. Steve builds good stuff, and stands behind it.

Jim
Old 05-23-2006, 08:19 AM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 280 Velocity for 5 years, and now have a 35 Nordic for the past 2.

Both are good boats, I prefer the Nordic over the Velocity. Here's why:

I think the fit & finish is better on the Nordics. The gel work is nicer than the Velocity.

The 290 is defiantly going to be faster than the 28 with the same power. I would look at the use here. Velocity is not a rough water boat. After 2', the Velocity will hit had due to the flat padded bottom. The 28 will probably due better in the 2' stuff due to the deep V on the 28. Speed vs Ride.

I had some issues withe the Velocity. On the Engine pad they screwed up from the fiberglass below to attach the vinyl. On about my first time out, I stepped off the dock and a screw punchured the vinyl & went about a 1/2" into my heel. Did not feel well. After I got home I checked all the screws. Had 3 different sizes, more sticking up. I got the right size screws and did not have any more issues.

I think Velocity builds a good boat, quality control is lacking. Small stuff to fix but nothing major.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:24 AM
Registered

Guys,
Just curious here........as an old pad boat (Allison, Bullet, Checkmate, Baja, etc.) driver, I know the Velocity hull is fast. Darris Allison still has a picture of one of the early ones he helped Steve Stepp (one time Allison racer) design in his office.
The big quirk of most pad boats is keeping them on the pad or chinewalking. Does the Velocity have this handling quirk?
Does it require counter steering like the outboards?
The Nordic does take some driver input, but it's minimal to me, compared to my old pad boats.
And, I love my Heat. I've been to poker runs where guys have had more $$$ in their paint jobs than I do in my entire rig, and people will still say "that's a beautiful boat" ......
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 05-23-2006 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Linster
I had a 280 Velocity for 5 years, and now have a 35 Nordic for the past 2.

Both are good boats, I prefer the Nordic over the Velocity. Here's why:

I think the fit & finish is better on the Nordics. The gel work is nicer than the Velocity.

The 290 is defiantly going to be faster than the 28 with the same power. I would look at the use here. Velocity is not a rough water boat. After 2', the Velocity will hit had due to the flat padded bottom. The 28 will probably due better in the 2' stuff due to the deep V on the 28. Speed vs Ride.

I had some issues withe the Velocity. On the Engine pad they screwed up from the fiberglass below to attach the vinyl. On about my first time out, I stepped off the dock and a screw punchured the vinyl & went about a 1/2" into my heel. Did not feel well. After I got home I checked all the screws. Had 3 different sizes, more sticking up. I got the right size screws and did not have any more issues.

I think Velocity builds a good boat, quality control is lacking. Small stuff to fix but nothing major.

YUP...we carry both.....Nordic is also fast BUT.....is far superior in overall build quality and finish work compared to Velocity.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:39 PM
Registered

Chinewalking with the Velocity?? I hear the VR1 is fast, "it's a driver's boat"..........
Steve
Old 05-23-2006, 08:26 PM
Registered

I loved my Heat, like Steve said I always got compliments on it from guys who had high dollar stuff. With that being said, I don't think the Velocity or the Nordic are true ruff water boats. My Nordic did well in the washing machine style waves that Lake Michigans provides, but it is not a AT or Pantera. Like people have already said the Velocity will be faster, but the Heat is no slouch. I like the looks of the Nordic better. I actually looked at a couple Velocity's before I bought my Checkmate. I just can't get past the ride in ruff water.