Heat projects for the down season

Notices

Heat projects for the down season

Old 12-03-2006, 06:48 AM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Heat projects for the down season

I'm going to replace the tiny screws on the front passenger glove compartment.
Lost 'em again this summer.
Does that count?

I wanna go 90.

Dave
Old 12-04-2006, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve,
The only thing I'm doing is working on some cold air intakes with Tom (R-Tech). My intake air temps were ~140 degrees in 85 degree weather
What's this with Hydro and Matt and Julie?

Dave
Old 12-04-2006, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nordicflame
Steve,
The only thing I'm doing is working on some cold air intakes with Tom (R-Tech). My intake air temps were ~140 degrees in 85 degree weather
What's this with Hydro and Matt and Julie?

Dave
Dave,
On the Throttle Up/Hydromotive situation, let Julie explain that to you. I don't want to air their business on the forum.
Hopefully they can get it resolved for their customers' sake.
They DO have their new billet props available now, but as you can imagine they aren't cheap ..................
I have seen Tom's drawings on his cold air systems. I'm sure it will help, partcularly on the restrictive Nordic engine compartments. Remember, you heard it here 1st !
Happy Holidays,
Steve
Old 12-04-2006, 10:46 AM
Registered

The one pictured by Tom is actually for my boat. We just have to do a mirror image for the other side.
I've never seen any temp issues on the my old Heat (or other Heats) from the ECU runs I have performed. Keep in mind that we are running 950+hp at times in a Heat when dropping elevations and the air is not an issue so far
On the Flame there is no air space at all for any temp dissipation and a lot of iron making for a lot of heat generation; a bad combo generating a +50* delta

I'll talk with Julie, she has a set of my props so I'll be chatting with her

Dave
Old 12-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Registered

Bob, Dave and Guys,
I just checked out a web site run by BAM Marine that a friend turned me on to: www.go-fast.com click on "Knowledge Base".
It has a boat speed calculator, like I was mentioning above.
They have recommended constants that you'll need to employ to use the formula. I found 227 (not that efficient by their scale, BTW) to be accurate for my boat.
I used 5000 lbs. "wet" weight/700HP/227/and came up with an accurate 85MPH.
I used this to project 800HP to 91MPH (as you estimated), and 850HP to 94.
Then you can use the advanced prop calculator to figure out what pitch and RPM you'll need to attain those #s.
With my existing 13% slip, I'll need to turn a 30" P5 5600 to get 92, or a 29" P5 5800 to also get 92, which is more likely.
So you are right again.
This is great information. Basically, you find out where you are with your existing HP, and then you can find out what you'll need to get to your target speed.
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 12-04-2006 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
Bob, Dave and Guys,
I just checked out a web site run by BAM Marine that a friend turned me on to: www.go-fast.com click on "Knowledge Base".
It has a boat speed calculator, like I was mentioning above.
They have recommended constants that you'll need to employ to use the formula. I found 227 (not that efficient by their scale, BTW) to be accurate for my boat.
I used 5000 lbs. "wet" weight/700HP/227/and came up with an accurate 85MPH.
I used this to project 800HP to 91MPH (as you estimated), and 850HP to 94.
Then you can use the advanced prop calculator to figure out what pitch and RPM you'll need to attain those #s.
With my existing 13% slip, I'll need to turn a 30" P5 5600 to get 92, or a 29" P5 5800 to also get 92, which is more likely.
So you are right again.
This is great information. Basically, you find out where you are with your existing HP, and then you can find out what you'll need to get to your target speed.
Regards,
Steve

I think 5000 lbs is a bit conservative on weight, unless you are one skinny dude You've got to count all the stuff you've added plus fluids and people. You've got 500 lbs of fuel if it's full, not counting cold beer. I figure an average test load with 2 people to be about 5500 lbs for my boat.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Registered

For your comparisons...
Last runs with P5X 30 with extra cup yeilds 93.1-93.3 at 5850rpm (Lake Powell 3600 feet/full tanks/3 people/70 degrees)

Bob's P5X 29 91.3 at 5850-5900 bumping rev limiter (Pineview Lake, 5000 feet/ 3/4 fuel / 3 people / 75 degrees)

Bravo 32 with as much cup as possible 97.1 at 5850-5900 hitting rev limiter (Lake Havasu, 650 feet / ~90 degrees/ 3/4 fuel / 3 people)

Keep in mind this hull is seemingly faster than most Heats (A Nordic mystery )

Dave
Old 12-05-2006, 12:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bobl
I think 5000 lbs is a bit conservative on weight, unless you are one skinny dude You've got to count all the stuff you've added plus fluids and people. You've got 500 lbs of fuel if it's full, not counting cold beer. I figure an average test load with 2 people to be about 5500 lbs for my boat.
Bob,
I haven't suffered from the skinnies in years, and what makes you think I drink beer ..............
I may be able to put the weight thing to rest. I'm having my Myco (maybe a little lighter than the 3 axle Nordic) tandem axle trailer bunks recarpeted this week. There is a recycling center nearby their shop, where I used to weigh my race boats. I'll weigh the trailer, and then go back and weigh the boat with trailer and do the math.
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 12-05-2006 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:03 PM
Registered

OK Guys,
The numbers are in...........I weighed the boat AND trailer today. They already had my bunks recarpeted, and boat back on the trailer, so I didn't get to weigh them seperately.
The entire rig weighed 6,920 lbs. Not too bad......since I couldn't weigh the trailer separately, I called Myco, gave them my trailer VIN and model #s. They say it weighs 1200#s. They should know, but I think it's heavier than that.
So here's the math, if Myco knows their business (?)........
6920 - 1200 = 5720 (fuel/jackets/cockpit cover/no people, cooler or porta potty). I have approximatley 50 gallons of fuel on board = 300 lbs. So the boat weighs 5420 lbs with some accessories?
Oh well, until I can weigh the trailer, that's all I've got. I still think the trailer weighs in the 1800 lb. range, which would make the boat weigh a more reasonable 4800 lbs. Any way you cut it, that's heavier than the factory's 4610 lbs.
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 12-08-2006 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Factory shows 4610 for the 28. One of my customers weighed his open bow 28 and it came in at 6880 with a Nordic triple axle trailer and about 1/2 fuel.

Quick Reply: Heat projects for the down season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.