Inherit Problem with Nordics? >

Inherit Problem with Nordics?

Notices

Inherit Problem with Nordics?

Old 12-05-2006, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Inherit Problem with Nordics?

Hello: I'm considering a new 28 Heat. Both Nordics that I know of (25 and a 28) suffer from the internal exhaust flappers burning up or going bad. One friend even got water in his engine. Is this a problem in Nordics due to the elbowing of the exhaust down to the water line? Anyone else heard of or experienced this?

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Inherit Problem with Nordics?

Have sold many Nordics and not one of them has had this problem.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

imartin,
They can make an annoying rattling sound at idle. I took mine out and just use the external Salisbury valves/flappers with no water intrusion or reversion issues at all.
BTW, the noisy baffle issue is not unique to Nordic. They all do it. Re burning or blowing them out, if you have a big HP motor, it's gonna happen, again not a Nordic issue. My Baja with a 600HP blower motor did it too.
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 12-05-2006 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Since Ian brought it up, I'll expand on it. He's referring to some boats I've sold. The problem is with the corner exhaust. EVERY boat i've sold with this type exhaust has failed. Some in the first 5 hrs. of operation(496 Mag). Imco makes them, it's not a Nordic issue. They have sent new flappers but don't have a solution. I will make a bet that there are a bunch of boats out there that have burned them out, but don't know it. The only reason I found it was because a customer hydrolocked his engine and I went searching for a cause. I can't say for sure that was actually the reason it happened, but I found no other problem.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

3 of 4 gone when I changed to mufflers in the Flame

I don't think this is a Nordic issue though
Old 12-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bobl
Since Ian brought it up, I'll expand on it. He's referring to some boats I've sold. The problem is with the corner exhaust. EVERY boat i've sold with this type exhaust has failed. Some in the first 5 hrs. of operation(496 Mag). Imco makes them, it's not a Nordic issue. They have sent new flappers but don't have a solution. I will make a bet that there are a bunch of boats out there that have burned them out, but don't know it. The only reason I found it was because a customer hydrolocked his engine and I went searching for a cause. I can't say for sure that was actually the reason it happened, but I found no other problem.

So, would straight exhaust out the rear with external flappers be the solution? That's my preferred look anyway....Thanks.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobl
Bob,
I'm glad this came to light. We were (?) in the process of changing Butch's 96 Heat over from the very low transom exhaust to the new corner style. He's even got the through hulls ordered from Nordic. We've already had the old outlets glassed up.
Should we go straight out the back? He is running the stoker 496"/blower motor. Sounds like we should! BTW, there is another Heat (a 97) in town with a 525SC and straight exhaust.
It sounds great, but it is LOUD!
Old 12-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Registered

I suppose on either exhaust set up, Cap't Call / switchable exhaust is not an option?
Old 12-05-2006, 02:52 PM
Registered

Ian, They don't offer captains call. I don't see why you couldn't get it with the corner outlet though. I could always add it here, after delivery.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Registered

Steve, I prefer the straight out the back myself. That way you can run mufflers. But with the corner there is room to add mufflers in line if you needed to. I don't know how much of a problem the flappers really cause. I've only seen the one boat actually ingest water and really don't know if that was the cause or not. That was on a 25 also. The 28s sit a little higher so that might be why I've not seen it on them.

Quick Reply: Inherit Problem with Nordics?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.