2002 28 Heat Navigation Lights

Notices

2002 28 Heat Navigation Lights

Old 06-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 28 Heat Navigation Lights

Nordic friends. Wondering if anyone else has dealt with this nav light issue. It's a pretty easy one. Here it is;

Not sure if it's different in Flames or Rages, but on my 2002 Heat the nav light on/off switch on the helm is a two position switch.

In one of the "on" positions, the retractable stern light extends, the light comes on...and stays on. However, the red/green bow lights do NOT come on.

In the other "on" position, the retractable stern light extends, but the light flashes a continuous "SOS" sequence, and the bow lights DO come on.

This is the way it has always been, since I took delivery of my Heat from the factory.

Now, I'm not sure what the laws are in other states, but here at my new home lake, LOTO (and all of Missouri) when underway and navigating at night, the stern light must be always-on (no flashing), AND the bow light must be lit. The Missouri Water Patrol is hard core with their enforcement of this. Since I'll be doing far more night boating, I need to get this little issue worked out.

So, my questions are this.

1. I'm interested to know if all Nordic nav light systems are wired the same way as mine is now?

2. To accomplish having my stern light in "always-on" mode, and also have my bow lights on, is this fix as "simple" as dropping the carpeted panel under my helm (I have an open-bow), finding the back side of the nav light switch, and maybe just jumping whichever wires are leading to the flashing mode....and bridging them over to poles where my bow lights come on?

I hope I'm being clear with the issue here. Opinions, tips, pointers and ideas welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

I2D
Old 06-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Registered

Hmmm. 17 views and no comments. Must have stumped everyone.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:23 PM
Registered

Hey In2

Your remedy sound about right. It appears as if there is a "Flasher" in line somewhere. You should be able to bypass it. I would check mine but unforturnately it just broke the other day. I had my engine hatch up while coast guard aux. was giving safety check and when I went to show him that the anchor light works (WELL YOU CAN GUESS THE REST). But I don't recall the light ever flashing. Sounds like an easy fix to me. It seems that the only problem is the flashing. In the position where the anchor light is on and the bow lights are off is for when you are anchored at night. You don't need to have your red/green light on if anchored. So - don't mess with that. Just by-pass the flasher.

Good luck

Ray

Last edited by raytart; 06-28-2007 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:19 PM
Registered

This just caught my interest. The Rage is out in the garage so I just went out and checked my iight.

Push the rocker switch forward (up), the instrument lights come on, the bow light is on and the pole comes up and the light is steady.

Return rocker to middle position, all lights off and pole retracts.

Flip rocker down and the pole comes up and only the pole light is lit and steady.

Switch back to center, light goes out and pole goes down.

Try again,

Up position, bow lights on, instrument lights on, pole comes up with steady light.

Flip switch directly to the down position, the instrument lights went out, the bow light out and pole stays up and the stern light starts blinking.

Tried it two more times and worked the same each time.

Thats how mine works. Hope that helps. Let me know if you want me to take a look at my wiring. I'll have the back panel off this weekend to intall a couple of different gauge bezels.

Pat
Old 06-29-2007, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb
This just caught my interest. The Rage is out in the garage so I just went out and checked my iight.

Push the rocker switch forward (up), the instrument lights come on, the bow light is on and the pole comes up and the light is steady.

Return rocker to middle position, all lights off and pole retracts.

Flip rocker down and the pole comes up and only the pole light is lit and steady.

Switch back to center, light goes out and pole goes down.

Try again,

Up position, bow lights on, instrument lights on, pole comes up with steady light.

Flip switch directly to the down position, the instrument lights went out, the bow light out and pole stays up and the stern light starts blinking.

Tried it two more times and worked the same each time.

Thats how mine works. Hope that helps. Let me know if you want me to take a look at my wiring. I'll have the back panel off this weekend to intall a couple of different gauge bezels.

Pat
Mine works like Pat's. I'm not a Morse code expert, but I believe the blinking is a SOS.
Steve
Old 06-29-2007, 08:58 AM
Registered

Interesting

When I get my new LED I'll check to see if mine works like that also,

Ray
Old 06-29-2007, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe if you flip the switch off/on rapidly it changes modes. If yours doesn't do this then it is not working correctly.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:57 AM
Registered

I believe if you flip the switch off/on rapidly it changes modes. If yours doesn't do this then it is not working correctly.
Thanks for checking everyone. Much appreciated. From what was described, we may have a breakthrough. It didn't occur to me to try a quick on/off sequence twice in a row. I'll try it out this weekend and report back.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Registered

Situation taken care of. Fliped the switch up/down in quick sequence, then tried it again. No more "SOS", and I've now got bow lights and solidly lit stern light while underway.

Thanks for the remedy. All good.

I2D
Old 07-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Registered

Just installed my replacement LED and Lens cap. Light worked one time. Tried the flip on off to see if I get SOS flash and now the light is stuck in the up position and nothing lights at all. The nylon piece that makes the pole go up and down broke. What a piece of crap! Just ordered a whole new light! But I ordered the shorter version. They come 4 - 5 - and 6 foot.

Quick Reply: 2002 28 Heat Navigation Lights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.