fiberglass hatch scoop??? >

fiberglass hatch scoop???

Notices

fiberglass hatch scoop???

Old 01-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiberglass hatch scoop???

So the whipple is on the way and before i evan get started I'm also thinking about a hatch scoop. I think that it would look super sweet. I dont really care about the lost of space on the sundeck. It also might help the whipple with more air. Any thoughts???
Old 01-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should not need a hood scoop but Dave or Steve could answer better. The whipple should be the same height as the 525EFI so it should fit. I would think twice before I cut up the hatch
Old 01-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Registered

Question

what motor are you putting this on?? I have an 07 with a 525hp I would really like to know how it works and does.I was thinking about reprograming the computer.My dealer said I do better doing that for the money.???
Old 01-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

496HO I belive that I have meet you and your wife at the powerboat party on CDA at carlien bay. I think I have also seen you on the fourth down at lake Roselvelt??? I think thats how you spell it?? Anyway you have to do alot more to the 496 than the 525 to keep it together. But when I get done and about 10K later, Thats me doing all of the install, It should be pritty sweet at 625hp. I will be sure to take lots of pic along the way. And we will see what and how much speed I get out of it
Attached Thumbnails fiberglass hatch scoop???-summer-07-009.jpg   fiberglass hatch scoop???-summer-07-010.jpg   fiberglass hatch scoop???-4th-july-008.jpg  

Old 01-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Registered

Default air scoop

Mr. Dig It,
I'm only offering this since you asked the question. I think scoops look fine on race boats and hardcore poker runners like Skaters, MTIs, Outerlimits, etc.
Personally I don't like them on high performance recreational boats. I think they are a little too "flambouyant", most people want to maintain their sunlounges, and it's a giveaway that you're probably "packing heat". I would rather have a hot boat that looks stock, and is many MPH faster than most people think. To me, I'd rather have a "sleeper" than an overt hot rod. If you mount a scoop, be prepared to race a lot of other boats, because they will be tempted to try you. You may like that, and again it may get old quickly.
The Whipple doesn't require any additional vertical clearance, so why bother. I would only do it (add a scoop) as last resort if you have a tall roots style blower engine setup, and can't figure out any other way to get it under the hatch. I do, and still have it under the rear hatch. Here's a few pics of the hatch mods I did to get a Whipple intercooler on my 575, and some extra air into the enigine compartment.
Regards,
Steve
Attached Thumbnails fiberglass hatch scoop???-hatch-rebuild-lower-small-.jpg   fiberglass hatch scoop???-hatch-rebuild-upper-small-.jpg   fiberglass hatch scoop???-hatch-vent-2-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 01-03-2008 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Registered

Here are pics of the finished project. You'll note I have also added another central intake in the rear center of the sunlounge. The advantages of this mod are: you can run in the rain (if you get caught out in it) without getting water in your intake, you get a lot of extra air, and the sunlounge sits flatter making it more comfortable.
Different people like different things. If you want to add a scoop to your Heat, go for it. It may look great. This is just my opinion.
BTW, Pretty boat. It looks like it is set up to handle the additional horsepower with tabs and hydraulic steering. I can't tell if your drive is a XR or a X. If it's a XR, you should be fine with the Whipple. If it's a X, I would definitely upgrade to a XR.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails fiberglass hatch scoop???-billet-intakes.jpg   fiberglass hatch scoop???-sunlounge-intake-2.jpg   fiberglass hatch scoop???-tabs-install-003.jpg  

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 01-03-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Registered

Steve

Thanks for the pics. Your job looks like it turned out really well. I do have the xr drive. When I bought the boat, the drive and steering add on's where allready there. I knew that I wanted to add more power some day and it would save me money in the long run. One of the reasons that I bought the boat. Plus I do think that is a sharp looking Heat. My wife is not so keen on the idea of the scoop and the lost of the sundeck. I didnt think about the fact the more people might want to race me due to a scoop but good point. I'm not really all about that anyways. It's not like the boat is going to be real fast after the whipple install. I hope that I can run in the mid, to upper 70"s.

Thanks again Brayden
Old 01-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Registered

Hi Steve,

I too have the 575sci and am looking at adding the Whipple intercooler as well. I am planing on doing about the same mods to the hatch that you did because I don't want a scoop at all. I would like to hear what your before and after installation number are and what you thought of the kit, who you bought from and did you get the package with the reprogrammed computer? Pictures of the finished motor would be cool to! Also where did you cut that long slot for incoming air. I can't make out the location from the picture. Thanks in advance for the info!
Old 01-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by I DIG IT !!
Steve

Thanks for the pics. Your job looks like it turned out really well. I do have the xr drive. When I bought the boat, the drive and steering add on's where allready there. I knew that I wanted to add more power some day and it would save me money in the long run. One of the reasons that I bought the boat. Plus I do think that is a sharp looking Heat. My wife is not so keen on the idea of the scoop and the lost of the sundeck. I didnt think about the fact the more people might want to race me due to a scoop but good point. I'm not really all about that anyways. It's not like the boat is going to be real fast after the whipple install. I hope that I can run in the mid, to upper 70"s.

Thanks again Brayden
Brayden,
I addition to your wife not liking it, it may hurt your resale if and when you ever sell the boat.
I wasn't going to go into the "you better be able to back up the look" part if you add a scoop, but I think you understand what I'm talking about. If you look the part, you better run it too. Save that money and spend it on some hatch vents and the new prop you are going to need.
Regards,
Steve
Old 01-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fastlane27
Hi Steve,

I too have the 575sci and am looking at adding the Whipple intercooler as well. I am planing on doing about the same mods to the hatch that you did because I don't want a scoop at all. I would like to hear what your before and after installation number are and what you thought of the kit, who you bought from and did you get the package with the reprogrammed computer? Pictures of the finished motor would be cool to! Also where did you cut that long slot for incoming air. I can't make out the location from the picture. Thanks in advance for the info!
I bought my intercooler from Bob Lloyd, a Nordic dealer who hangs out here on this forum with us. I already had done the AZSM 575 boost kit (major components are a recurved ECU, new thermostat, 3.5" blower pulley, MSD spark box) before adding the Whipple, and luckily the fuel and spark curves seemed perfect with the intercooler. I lost 2PSI of boost with the intercooler, so I went to a 3" blower pulley to get back to 6PSI intercooled. The motor really woke up and I could run 83 to 86 @ 5400 to 5600 (RPM revised limit) depending on load and weather conditions. That was with a 28" Hydromotive P5-X prop, which these boats really like.
Regards,
Steve
PS the Whipple is 1 5/8"s taller than your stock motor. The hatch on our boats is a 2 piece design. I seperated the upper and lower halves with wooden stringers that are 1 1/2 inches tall on the transom side, tapering to 0" on the cockpit side.
Here's some pics.
Attached Thumbnails fiberglass hatch scoop???-boat-pics-003-small-.jpg   fiberglass hatch scoop???-boat-pics-037.jpg   fiberglass hatch scoop???-boat-pics-040.jpg  

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 01-04-2008 at 04:39 PM.

Quick Reply: fiberglass hatch scoop???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.