Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Nordic
Questions for "faster" Flame owners (kinda long) >

Questions for "faster" Flame owners (kinda long)

Notices

Questions for "faster" Flame owners (kinda long)

Old 04-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Questions for "faster" Flame owners (kinda long)

OK,
We’re done toying with the idea of a new 100mph Howard or Cobra deck boat and have decided to keep our Flame and juice her up into that range. The comforts of the Flame and our style of boating really just doesn’t lend itself to a deck boat and after the Desert Storm Poker Run, bigger is definitely better! (what was I thinking!! )

So it looks like the 496HOs will go up for sale and I’ll be moving ahead with building (2) 555ci/675hp for a winter install; my turn!!
If you have time, here’s a few questions for fast Flame owners!

1. Has anyone run shorties or nose cones (I believe Linnie had nose cones) and what were your findings?

2. With my limited power (496HOs) I have found that the boat does not like bow lift and removal of cup improves speed and settles her down. What have you guys running fast found?

3. Talked with a guy at the Desert Storm street party that had a Flame there with twin N.A. 572s that he said ran 108 They said to get it there with stability they had to drop the K planes down to 4-1/2 and then trim accordingly. Here’s link to that boat http://www.havasucustoms.com/performance/engines.html
At 3 on the trim and tabs set at 5 I was able to run upper 70’s between several of the card stops and was able to get into a really good rythym considering the windy, rough conditions. I was surprised because it really doesn’t run much faster at 6-1/2 tab and 6-1/2 trim. I would think at 90 and above this would scrub some substantial speed though. Thoughts?

4. Does anyone have Sport Tubes on anything but a 525EFI on theirs? I have one brand new set and am considering picking up another but am concerned with hatch clearance issues. Nordic Gary had mentioned some time back that they had to raise the hatch to clear the rubber hoses on that setup and the exhaust ports are not raised on the Merc/Edelbrock heads. I will be using AFR CNC heads and they would add about another .28 inches of vertical height even staying with a standard deck block. I can raise the hatch 1” fairly easy if needed to I suppose. Other options would be to sell the Sport Tubes and get a pair of E-Tops or even Dana’s if they would clear width wise.

Anyway, a lot of questions but fun ones to ponder for sure….
Any other input would be great and appreciated because I’m sure adding 500hp to this boat will change it’s demeanor pretty quickly ;o))
Thanks,
Dave
Old 05-05-2008, 08:05 AM
Registered

Must not be any fast Flames???
Old 05-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave,
They are just holding out on you .......................
There was a fellow from Ohio (I think) that showed me the transom of his Flame with Procharger EFI 500s at last year's East Coast Nordic Regatta.
Also, check out the video link on Young's Rage thread. There is a bad ass looking Flame with some Whipple charged motors absoloutely screaming in an adjacent video "35 Flame test run", by "sleded19". Who is that masked man? The more info button says the motors are 500EFIs/Whipples. Says the boat ran 95 in this video and 106 later.
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 05-05-2008 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:34 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Dave,
sounds like a really cool project. I'll be watching with great interest! Unfortunately, I only have 502 MPIs in our boat, but I have a set of 98 HP500 Carbs that have ~70 hours on them, that I will be jazzing up alittle, and hopefully will be installing this winter myself.
good luck, and please keep us posted.
thanks,
Dean

BTW, I think the shorty gear cases are going to help speed, but I'm not sure what it will do to handling.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Registered

Hey Steve,
I think I've seen that video your talking about (YouTube is firewalled here at work). If it's the one running without the hatch then yes I've seen it. Would like to get a hold of the owner.

Dean,
If I had those 502's the project would be very simple for me! The 496HOs are a big hurdle (psycologically) for me; great for what they are but beyond 600 I'm just not comfortable.
On the 502s, a couple Whipple kits, roller rockers, some head work, cam, E-Tops and 750+ bullet proof would be really simple.
You want to make a trade

Steve, didn't you know of a guy that did some very nice nose cone work. I'm going to be removing the drives, transom rings and K-Planes for some custom finishing (IMCO metallic silver) so it would be a good time for the cones "if" they would help... Linnie, where are you??

Thanks Guys,
Dave
Old 05-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the slowest Flame. Will that help?
Old 05-05-2008, 09:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bobl
I've got the slowest Flame. Will that help?
Well then I'm a close second
Old 05-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordicflame
Hey Steve,
I think I've seen that video your talking about (YouTube is firewalled here at work). If it's the one running without the hatch then yes I've seen it. Would like to get a hold of the owner.

Dean,
If I had those 502's the project would be very simple for me! The 496HOs are a big hurdle (psycologically) for me; great for what they are but beyond 600 I'm just not comfortable.
On the 502s, a couple Whipple kits, roller rockers, some head work, cam, E-Tops and 750+ bullet proof would be really simple.
You want to make a trade

Steve, didn't you know of a guy that did some very nice nose cone work. I'm going to be removing the drives, transom rings and K-Planes for some custom finishing (IMCO metallic silver) so it would be a good time for the cones "if" they would help... Linnie, where are you??

Thanks Guys,
Dave
Dave,
Are you talking about swapping my 502 MPIs or the HP500's? Which ones are you thinking you can get 750HP out of?
Thanks,
Dean
Old 05-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Dave,
Are you talking about swapping my 502 MPIs or the HP500's? Which ones are you thinking you can get 750HP out of?
Thanks,
Dean
Either...
I would be interested in talking if you are...
Give me a call 801-323-6528
Dave
Old 05-05-2008, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nordicflame
Hey Steve,

Dean,
You want to make a trade

Thanks Guys,
Dave
Hi Dave,
That is the video I am referring too.
The nose cone installer does terrific work. His name is "JC" @ JC's Prop Shop, Center Star, AL #256-757-5718. He is the go to guy for most of the outboard drag racers and high performance boaters in this area.
He stays pretty busy, particularly this time of year. I would give him a call in advance to get his turn around time. The set he did for a friend of mine (Imco LWP) with a 42' Fountain 575/XRs were flawless. They looked identical to my standard length Imco, and measured EXACTLY the same dimensions. I think I see where Imco got their male casting to mold their lower units .
Best Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 05-05-2008 at 11:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Questions for "faster" Flame owners (kinda long)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.