Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Nordic
84 mph, Nordic Rage Video.  Who's boat is it? >

84 mph, Nordic Rage Video. Who's boat is it?

Notices

84 mph, Nordic Rage Video. Who's boat is it?

Old 08-26-2008, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fast RAge at Chelan?

Hi Ragers,

I've got a procharged Rage that I'll have at Chelan from Thurs 11 through the weekend. Would be fun to run around with another Nordic. Mine does just shy of 90 at about 5200 rpm with a labbed 30 pitch Bravo. Was very scary until I put Dana tabs on, which are overkill but work fine in moderation.

hope to see you,
BlownRage
Old 08-27-2008, 09:37 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by collinmadden
Hi Ragers,

I've got a procharged Rage that I'll have at Chelan from Thurs 11 through the weekend. Would be fun to run around with another Nordic. Mine does just shy of 90 at about 5200 rpm with a labbed 30 pitch Bravo. Was very scary until I put Dana tabs on, which are overkill but work fine in moderation.

hope to see you,
BlownRage
Where/what is Chelan and more details about your engine please?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lake Chelan is in central Washington State. About two thirds the way up the state, at higher elevations.

Fun place to go,

Chris
Old 08-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks CB-BLR.

collinmadden....tell us about your motor.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Registered

Default procharged 502

Hi Bill,

Sorry for the delay - been on the road. Its always good to share info.

I've done the following: I started with my stock 2001 502 mag with 80 hours (about 40 hours ago - since I'm in Lake Union, nearly all my time is at about 1200 rpm!).

I added IMCO PowerFlow risers and SS tailpipes. Also M1SC procharger & intercooler. I went to AZ Speed & Marine and went with their tuning program: drop the boost regulated pressure, fix pressure at about 48lbs, install a 2BAR MAP sensor, recalibrate the ECU to their specs (which enriches during boost w/out the hamfisted boost reference approach suggested by procharger). I also installed a 120 thermostat and exhaust cooling bypass hose. That's about it on the motor - no cam or head work.

I also added Mayfair steering, a brand new XR drive, and Dana 1000 tabs. The tabs are overkill for the boat, but they really improve the handling, even at neutral or slightly negative where they add about 2' to the running surface.

As far as the prop, I had the Prop Shop whittle away on a Bravo 30 pitch. I am now turning a little under 5,200 rpm at WOT.

I haven't really wrung it out yet for a top speed run. I've only run with at least 2 people and about 1/2 fuel. So far I hit about 87 on the GPS (which is pretty delayed on my Garmin GPSMAP 168). I am certain that with me alone and less fuel that it will do an even 90. The procharger works in a pretty progressive way, of course; the more RPM, the more boost, the more horsepower. That's why I'm pretty sure a hundred or two more RPM with less weight will get it there (if its not already).

I ran it last summer with all the mods, except the tabs, and it was kind of scary - starting to chine walk on top, especially when you backed off the throttle. With the tabs its as solid as you want it to be. Top speeds so far are at about neutral - to a little negative tab.

Fun stuff anyway, no more terror on the top!

Yours, Collin
Old 09-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Registered

Collin, i live up in lynnwood and was wondering if i could take a look at your steering on your rage. i have a 28' heat that i need to put ext steering on and i'm curious how you tackled the mounts on the transom w/ the exhaust being so close to the gimble housing.

would you mind giving me a call?

thanks
Ned