Ski Pylon Movement >

Ski Pylon Movement

Notices

Ski Pylon Movement

Old 06-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ski Pylon Movement

I have a 2005 Nordic Rage. It appears that the ski pylon is loose now. I can move it with my hand and it hits the edges of the fiberglass hole it comes through. It has cause some stress cracks to the stern of the pole which I am sure are due to the pole applying pressure to the fiberglass when skiing or wakeboarding.

I have looked at the mounting bracket in the engine compartment and nothing is obviously damaged. I am unable to tighten any of the mounting bolts on either the attachment to the hull or the bolt through the pylon, but it is difficult to get a good pull due to the cramped location. It simply looks as if there is some play in the metal bracket.

Any thoughts on how I can fix this / prevent it from happening again? Also does anybody know of a good repair facility in Southern California, near Orange County?
Old 06-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aquaman41
I have a 2005 Nordic Rage. It appears that the ski pylon is loose now. I can move it with my hand and it hits the edges of the fiberglass hole it comes through. It has cause some stress cracks to the stern of the pole which I am sure are due to the pole applying pressure to the fiberglass when skiing or wakeboarding.

I have looked at the mounting bracket in the engine compartment and nothing is obviously damaged. I am unable to tighten any of the mounting bolts on either the attachment to the hull or the bolt through the pylon, but it is difficult to get a good pull due to the cramped location. It simply looks as if there is some play in the metal bracket.

Any thoughts on how I can fix this / prevent it from happening again? Also does anybody know of a good repair facility in Southern California, near Orange County?
AquaMan,
Other than Randy Davis, I have never seen anyone pull skiers behind a Nordic. The ski pole is a vestige of the company's ski race past and heritage. Mine is thankfully GONE. It's a useless knee knocker (ask KennyO ).
What they should offer is a quick release pin and a deck cap to cover the hole. Would be easy to do.
The pole sits in fabbed cup that bolts to the transom. It has a through bolt pinning it into the cup. Just pull the bolt and pull it out through the deck. I covered mine with a round transom light.
If you want to keep your's (?), just tighten the cup to the transom (there are two stainless nuts above the drive) and/or the through bolt through the bottom of the billet ski pole.
Regards,
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Ski Pylon Movement-tabs-install-003.jpg   Ski Pylon Movement-sunlounge-intake-2.jpg  

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 06-09-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Registered

I like the light idea! I assumed you just wired it to you anchor light. Does it shine light on the swim platform?

I used my ski pylon once to pull a stranded wave runner in.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm

I'm in the minority....I've used my ski pylon to pull skiers many many times -- behind my 28 Heat. I also pull tubers. Just did it this weekend.

And, of course used it to tow several boats in distress.

Mine's still rock-solid.

I2D
Old 06-10-2008, 07:42 AM
Registered

There are many Nordics that run the Catalina Ski Race ranging from
28 to 35 feet. And we pull out the stock pylon and put one in that is
around 2 feet tall. Then we go beat the crap out of it on the ocean pulling
skiers north of 60mph for 62 miles.

Sounds like your pylon just needs bolt tightening, tough as it may be.
(I own a 35 where access to the pylon is surprisingly easy).

Pesky Varmint
Old 06-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jima97
I like the light idea! I assumed you just wired it to you anchor light. Does it shine light on the swim platform?

I used my ski pylon once to pull a stranded wave runner in.
Hi Jim,
Yes, I wired into the hot for my stern light, similar to the '99 and older Heats before the electric pole light. I guess you could put it on a seperate circuit if you wanted to.
Are you coming to the regatta?
Mayor McCheese will be there with your former ride. We've done some cool updates in the last few years. I bet it will be the oldest ('96) Nordic there, unless Casey brings his. It still looks cool with the Miami Vice colors and windows. Like a classic muscle car, they just never go out of style.
Still liking the Flame?
Regards,
Steve
Old 06-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pesky Varmint
There are many Nordics that run the Catalina Ski Race ranging from
28 to 35 feet. And we pull out the stock pylon and put one in that is
around 2 feet tall. Then we go beat the crap out of it on the ocean pulling
skiers north of 60mph for 62 miles.

Sounds like your pylon just needs bolt tightening, tough as it may be.
(I own a 35 where access to the pylon is surprisingly easy).

Pesky Varmint
Pesky,
That's cool. No ski racing over here to my knowledge. I have followed the sport through Hot Boat and Powerboat mags. Looks interesting.
All the kids here are wakeboarding behind direct drive and v-drive inboard ski boat with towers and big stereos.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:35 PM
jns
Registered

Aquaman,
I too must be in the monority. We tow either a three person tube or a four person tube or both. We also ski and slalom as well. So far, knock on wood, ours is still solid as well. The tubes give it a real workout though and I have often wondered about developing the same problem you are experiencing. You may have to go to a cable and pully type device connected to the transom tie downs?? Then utilize Steve's idea.
Maybe some one will come up with a lighted pylon too?
Not much help but plenty of moral support!

BTW, the Tube is a great place to listen to that exhaust too!
Old 06-16-2008, 08:40 PM
Registered

Here is what I did to mine.....Man I hated that thing always banging my knee on it.....I used the center cap for the steering wheel
Attached Thumbnails Ski Pylon Movement-dsc02918.jpg   Ski Pylon Movement-dsc02919.jpg   Ski Pylon Movement-dsc02920.jpg  

Old 06-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 394 Likes on 142 Posts

I used to tow the kids on the tube behind our Flame! Now we use the Seadoo jet boat for that. i still have the ski pylon on the Nordic, I hang my rope ladder on it for getting in and out of the water.
Dean

Quick Reply: Ski Pylon Movement

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.