Those darn medallion gauges >

Those darn medallion gauges

Notices

Those darn medallion gauges

Old 06-16-2008, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those darn medallion gauges

Since Nordic used these gauges on a lot of their boats, I hope maybe one of you can help. My tach on the port engine is not registering, nor is the hour meter working. I contacted Medallion last year and they said that the gauge might be bad...so a couple hundred later, new gauge...no worky Ok, so I talk to another tech rep at Medallion, he says that the system sends the digital signal throughout the wiring loom and that the gauge determines what it is reading, he suggest that maybe the connector for my tach is bad...switch connectors with another gauge and check it. Still no worky, so I go one step further, I switch tachs...the new one works on the starboard engine, the old one doesn't work on the port. Medallion pretty much said "good luck". SO, it's got to be either the signal going into their little computer or the computer itself, can anyone help me diagnose this from here?
Old 06-16-2008, 08:55 PM
Registered

One more thing, the gauge does peak when the key is first turned on so it is getting power
Old 06-17-2008, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We recently ran into the same problem on the Harts '99 Heat.
All their Medallion gauges were spazzing out. I checked every pin on the harness and computer, and they seemed fine.
Replaced the computer and everything is fine now.
It's an interesting system, kind of like an early version of Smartcraft.
Pete says they haven't used it from the factory since 00/01, and they don't have any parts or information on it.
We got in touch with Medallion through this website:
www.medallionis.com
Regards,
Steve
Old 06-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Registered

If the computer is the problem, the next step for me would be to switch the computers from port to starboard and see if the problem switches sides...a lot of work in that tight compartment but it will help me narrow down the problem.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chico&Zeus
If the computer is the problem, the next step for me would be to switch the computers from port to starboard and see if the problem switches sides...a lot of work in that tight compartment but it will help me narrow down the problem.
Good luck. Let us know what you find out.
Steve
Old 06-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Registered

If it were me I would be looking everywhere for a ground connector touching something it souldn't be. I had a simuliar problem in my old Baja when I put in a new gauge set. If they (the connectors) come loose at all and spin and touch another gauge or mounting bracket that may be the problem. Sounds like Steve may have hit the nail on the head but it's worth a second look. Also I don't know how hour meters are hooked up but if its inline with your tach it may have a bad ground also.
Goodluck: Garrett