Hey Plane Silly

Notices

Hey Plane Silly

Old 03-16-2009, 05:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Plane Silly

Thanks again for all the help with the installation ideas for the Hardin oil cooler in my Rage. Unfortunately, oil tremperature wise, there is more work to be done since I am still seeing up to 270F+ engine oil temperature during extended WOT runs.

What oil temperatrure do you get from your Whipple 496 during extended WOT runs?
Old 03-17-2009, 08:15 AM
Registered

I don't have an oil temp gauge yet. It is on the list of things to do though. Sorry I can't help you there.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Plane Silly
I don't have an oil temp gauge yet. It is on the list of things to do though. Sorry I can't help you there.
Not a problem. I've been there. What about oil pressure during an extended WOT run?
Old 03-18-2009, 08:03 AM
Registered

I don't do a lot of long wot runs. Maybe 1-2 miles at a time. The oil press does drop off some but not to an alarming level. When the weather gets a little warmer here I'll get you some numbers.
I am chasing a high water temp issue, 180* with a 120* thermostat. I am adding a transom water pickup for better pressure and flow. What is your water temp running?
Old 03-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Plane Silly
I don't do a lot of long wot runs. Maybe 1-2 miles at a time. The oil press does drop off some but not to an alarming level. When the weather gets a little warmer here I'll get you some numbers.
I am chasing a high water temp issue, 180* with a 120* thermostat. I am adding a transom water pickup for better pressure and flow. What is your water temp running?
When I asked Whipple what oil cooler , heat exchanger, other modifications is recommended when installing the Whipple kit for the Merc 496 engine in order to handle the additional engine heat I was told: "Sen-dure makes a 1” larger HE which helps significantly. Normally, we do not modify the oil cooler for most pleasure boats. If the guys are “poker run” types, then we have them go to the “extreme” unit from Teague custom marine, which is what we use on 1200hp motors. CP Performance also has a massive one (Hardin Marine 1000hp) that is thermostatically controlled, which is a nice option." Not mentioned in the noted comment but I believe the 120F thermostat is also a recommendation.

Sounds to me like you have a coolant system issue or a bad coolant temp sensor/gage. (PS: I am just a boater that is dabbeling in engine upgrades and not an engine expert) I am still running the stock 496HO heat exchanger and water pump / Bravo water pick up et. al. but do have the 120F thermostat. So our coolant systems are essentiallly the same. I am in the 600 hp range @5800 rpm (versus your 650 hp @ ~5200 rpm) and during similar WOT runs I do not get much over 150F coolant temp with normal running ~130F.

I rebuilt the lower end on mine so I have higher bearing clearances than yours offset by addition of a high volume oil pump so no apples to apples comparison available here. However it seems counter intuitive that you could be experiencing 180F water temp with a 120F thermostat on the 496 and not having low oil pressure numbers do to high oil temperatures at WOT.

What was the lowest oil presssure you recall seeing during a WOT run? (mine currently runs in the low 50's psi at the oil pump with a 3x18 Hardin 700hp oil cooler and it used to run in the mid 40's psi before the bigger cooler addition though the oil then was also below the W50 grade do to fuel dilution and was tested at W40) What is a typical max oil pressure you see cruising with a warmed but not hot engine? (mine cruises in the mid 60's psi). Also the WOT oil pressure at the oil pump (Smart Craft Gage/Merc ECU data) is about 10 psi higher than the dash gage reading with it's sensor located at the top of the engine in the back. Do you happen to know where your oil pressure sensor is located for the dash gage you are reading?

I am in the process of replacing the stock -8 oil lines with -10 or -12 and adding a dedicated 1 1/4" transum water pickup for the oil cooler. Also will likely plug the upper water intake holes in the Bravo that are uncovered during high speed/trim out running.

Do you have a Smart Craft gage installed for multifuctional reading of oil pressure, water pressure, rpm, engine hours and other things?
Old 03-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Registered

I am really not going to be much help until I get the boat back in the water. I just don't recall the #'s and I don't just want to through out a guess. I don't have the Smart Craft gauge either. I did hook up a mechanical water press gauge at the heat exchanger and it never got above 10 psi. I think I may have a restriction through the transom assy. I am just going to supply the engine and the inter cooler off of a transom pickup and adjust the water press to around 20. I'll post something in a month or so when I get the boat in the water. Sorry I can't be more help.

The bottom end of my engine has also been gone through but by the previous owner so I don't know all the clearances. Just that it has the Raylar bottom end, Raylar blower came and ported heads with roller rockers.

Tom
Old 03-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Registered

In the middle for summer when it hot 90 to 100 My Whipple 496 gets to 160 or so . Maybe a little less. I also don't run wot for very long sperts eather. But never any higher than 160. My oil psi stays arroud 50+ too.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Registered

o'yea how is your water ran for the innercooler. I run a pick up off the back of the boat though a strainer and then to the cooler just for the cooler. I did not tap into the system.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:03 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My oil temp runs about 180 deg.
My coolant temp about 130 deg.

Chris
Old 03-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by CB-BLR
My oil temp runs about 180 deg.
My coolant temp about 130 deg.

Chris
When I am cruising that is where I am at as well. Things change a lot At WOT when run for any significant length of time however. Are your numbers at WOT or other?

Quick Reply: Hey Plane Silly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.