Nordic Rage, Born Again! >

Nordic Rage, Born Again!

Notices

Nordic Rage, Born Again!

Old 10-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I will see what props I can round up. The ones I know of that might work are all Bravo 1's; labbed 30, stock 28, and a labbed 28.

When I borrowed the -2; I pulled the spacer, studs, and the splined collar that mates the vertical shaft. When I run the drive without the 1" spacer should I use the stock collar out of my current drive setup? I haven't split my drive yet to see if the collars are different.

Thanks,
Jon
Old 10-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DesertRage
Thanks guys. I will see what props I can round up. The ones I know of that might work are all Bravo 1's; labbed 30, stock 28, and a labbed 28.

When I borrowed the -2; I pulled the spacer, studs, and the splined collar that mates the vertical shaft. When I run the drive without the 1" spacer should I use the stock collar out of my current drive setup? I haven't split my drive yet to see if the collars are different.

Thanks,
Jon
Hi Jon,
Seems like we used the stock coupler on Mayor Mccheese's -2" Imco lower. Measure the vertical height of the driveshaft above the mating surface on both lowers. If they are the same (I think they are) the stock coupler will be fine.
Good luck with the testing.
BTW, have you measured your current X dimension or prop depth?
Best Regards,
Steve
Old 10-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Steve,
You are correct! It appears the Imco lowers are set up with different vertical shaft lengths so they match the stock mercury shaft length. The spacer kits come with the extended couplers to account for the spacer thickness. I mounted the -2 with the spacer tonight and used the longer coupler. With out the spacer the stock coupler will measure correct.

Stock X is 5.5, first run will be at 4.5.

Thanks,
Jon
Old 10-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Registered

Steve,
You are correct! It appears the Imco lowers are set up with different vertical shaft lengths so they match the stock mercury shaft length. The spacer kits come with the extended couplers to account for the spacer thickness. I mounted the -2 with the spacer tonight and used the longer coupler. With out the spacer the stock coupler will measure correct.

Stock X is 5.5, first run will be at 4.5.

Thanks,
Jon
Jon,
I think you will be pleased with this test. Theoretically, the shorter, lighter Rage should need need less propshaft depth than our longer, heavier Heats. 5.5" is pretty deep. The factory may (?) be doing this XD because there may not be as much vertical space in the Rage engine compartment (as you have run into with your new bigger/taller engine).
I think you'll see a nice improvement in handling too.
Good luck with your testing!
Best Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 10-06-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Registered

Thanks,
Jon
Jon,

If you wanna try a 28 lab or 32 lab, I'm in SLC & have both. I want to get rid of my 28, too small need a 30. Your welcome to try it. Boat looks great!
Old 10-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 90mphRAGE
Jon,

If you wanna try a 28 lab or 32 lab, I'm in SLC & have both. I want to get rid of my 28, too small need a 30. Your welcome to try it. Boat looks great!
That is very generous. I’ve already got a lab 28 and I think your lab 32 would be too much at this altitude. I would really like to try a Merc lab 30 and a Hering with the Imco lower.

We briefly met in the Nordic booth at the SLC boat show earlier this year. Not sure if you remember my face… Thanks for the offer 90mph, it would be great to see ya on the water sometime.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Registered

That is very generous. I’ve already got a lab 28 and I think your lab 32 would be too much at this altitude. I would really like to try a Merc lab 30 and a Hering with the Imco lower.

We briefly met in the Nordic booth at the SLC boat show earlier this year. Not sure if you remember my face… Thanks for the offer 90mph, it would be great to see ya on the water sometime.
Looks like lake will be freezing over soon, but if you get your hands on a 30 or Hering I'd like to give them a shot also. Good luck, keep me posted.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Here is the first of the data... I realize this isn't apples to apples due to the temp difference. This is at my local 5000' elevation lake.

With my stock Merc lower at 5.5 XD and a Merc labbed 28 bravo 1 I can run 83gps @ 5600 all day with gear and two people. Temp was mid 70's, boat was very stable.

Today I ran the Imco -2 w/ 1" spacer for an XD of 4.5. I ran 84 @ 5700, no gear and two people. Cruise was 44 @ 3200, temp was 54, boat started to walk, not bad, but soft walk back and forth. Did I gain 1mph from the xd / nose cone or temp?

I tried a B1 30 and ran 82 @ 5200. This did have a killer cruise, 51 @ 3200rpm.

These are not the results I was hopeing for, but good info. My question now is: Should I bolt the stock lower back on and go for a compairable run (temp/load)? Or, since I have the opprotunity, remove the spacer and see what happens at 3.5 XD? It seems like this would be the wrong direction, but don't want to miss the chance.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Registered

The bulk of your winter jacket probably slows you down!
Old 10-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Your slip only went up .5%... and you only gained 100 rpm.

I would try taking the spacer out and going for another test run... then report back.

Chris

p.s. my boat is the fastest, and handles the best at 3.0"- 3.5" of propshaft depth with a good 5 blade prop

Last edited by CB-BLR; 10-09-2009 at 10:08 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.