Looking for Feedback on Whipple Upgrades >

Looking for Feedback on Whipple Upgrades

Notices

Looking for Feedback on Whipple Upgrades

Old 09-28-2009, 03:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Feedback on Whipple Upgrades

Wondering if Chris or anyone else can tell me what the Stage 1 or 2 Whipple upgrades are? Which units do they apply to? I have the standard 496 Whipple. Are there upgrades for this unit? Thanks. I am running 5 lbs of boost currently.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Whipple upgrades, of which you speak, are designed for Mercury Racing Supercharged motors.

Stage I basically raises the RPM limiter from 5400 to 5800 while giving some more timing

Stage II uses a smaller pulley for more boost

Stage III is a bigger cam

Stage IV uses whatever is the next biggest supercharger than what is supplied by Merc.

You can almost always upgrade existing supercharged motors by increasing boost, changing cams, putting on better heads and changing internals to better stuff.

Hope this helps,
Chris
Old 09-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Registered

Hi Terry,
Sounds like you have your Rage running great. Congrats. Keep in mind the stock internals on your motor are cast, not forged, so that is going to limit how much boost you can put on your motor.
I would talk directly to Bob Loyd/FTM or Dustin Whipple to see what a logical build up would be for your motor.
With forged internals/aluminum heads/bigger cam I'm sure there's plenty left, but it may not be "cost effective".
The data base for building up a Gen 6 GM/Merc is deeper, as are the parts availability.
Best Regards,
Steve
Old 09-29-2009, 03:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
Hi Terry,
Sounds like you have your Rage running great. Congrats. Keep in mind the stock internals on your motor are cast, not forged, so that is going to limit how much boost you can put on your motor.
I would talk directly to Bob Loyd/FTM or Dustin Whipple to see what a logical build up would be for your motor.
With forged internals/aluminum heads/bigger cam I'm sure there's plenty left, but it may not be "cost effective".
The data base for building up a Gen 6 GM/Merc is deeper, as are the parts availability.
Best Regards,
Steve
Fortunately (tho it did not seem so at the time) I blew a head gasket a year or so back. It seemed the better part of valor at the time to get rid of all the cast parts, so I now have eagle rods, forged pistons, Cometic head gaskets, ARP bolts etc. I could not drive the boat faster then with the chinewalking, but all that has changed. I have a new lease on life and am feeling the need for speed.

Terry
Old 09-29-2009, 08:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by xcpilot
Fortunately (tho it did not seem so at the time) I blew a head gasket a year or so back. It seemed the better part of valor at the time to get rid of all the cast parts, so I now have eagle rods, forged pistons, Cometic head gaskets, ARP bolts etc. I could not drive the boat faster then with the chinewalking, but all that has changed. I have a new lease on life and am feeling the need for speed.

Terry
Hi Terry,
Good call on the forged internals with supercharging. In that case I would definitely be looking at better breathing aluminum heads and a cam upgrade. If you can get 93 octance gas (plentiful and cheap here), I would definitely raise the boost to 7/8 PSI. Your ECM will need careful recalibrating too. Bob Lloyd/FTM is our resident 496" guru, and all around nice guy. I would give him a call.
www.fullthrottlemarine.com
Good luck and keep us posted.
Best Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 09-29-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the recommendation Steve.

Terry, how fast is your Rage running with this setup? What did you do to help the chine walk, full hydraulic steering I assume?

I built a similar engine to yours last year and we made 655 HP on the dyno with a little more boost than you have. You should be able to run a little more boost with your internals and pick up another 30-40 HP. You can probably get another 80-100 HP with heads and cam change. If you want more than that you'll be looking at a complete new engine build. I know Raylar is working on an 800 HP 496 based engine package.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=bobl;2963534]Thanks for the recommendation Steve.

Terry, how fast is your Rage running with this setup? What did you do to help the chine walk, full hydraulic steering I assume?

NEVER MIND...JUTS READ THE OTHER THREAD. NICE!
Old 09-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Registered

My understanding was the "stages" mostly refer to the size intercooler. Stage 1 is standard Whipple intercooler, stage 2 is slightly larger & stage 3 uses the MOAC intercooler.
I'm wondering why the 496 w/ Whipples are as fast or faster than me? Should I abandon the B1 prop for a 5 blade?
I run 5-6lbs boost.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:16 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 90mphRAGE
I'm wondering why the 496 w/ Whipples are as fast or faster than me?
Good question... I would call Dustin Whipple about that.
I would think you would be putting out more horsepower than a 496 with a Whipple.
I think your motor is lighter than a 496 also.

Maybe it is just tired, and need a re-build to freshen it up.

Chris
Old 10-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Registered

Where are you boating and what speeds are you getting? A 500 EFI with 6 lbs. of boost will make nearly 800 HP at sea level. But if you are at high altitude you may need to up the boost.

Bob

Originally Posted by 90mphRAGE
My understanding was the "stages" mostly refer to the size intercooler. Stage 1 is standard Whipple intercooler, stage 2 is slightly larger & stage 3 uses the MOAC intercooler.
I'm wondering why the 496 w/ Whipples are as fast or faster than me? Should I abandon the B1 prop for a 5 blade?
I run 5-6lbs boost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.