525 Heat Test Results >

525 Heat Test Results

Notices

525 Heat Test Results

Old 04-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 525 Heat Test Results

Hey Guys, Need a little help here.. Took my heat out today for the first time since the swap and i was MAJOR DISAPPOINTED. Remember 525, XR, Sportmaster Lower, and stuck on a B1 28. The boat came out of the hole like a dog and spun out BAD!! Midrange response SUCKED!! and on top I was running 5400(so the tach said) RPM and 72 on GPS with the drive opened up. Two half tanks of fuel, ME only, and half the cushions out of the boat including the rear bench cushion. Sportmaster lower seems to be same depth as a XR lower. (my Measurements) Prop Calculator at Bronson Propellors website said 24% SLIP!!!! WTF!!! Shouldn't I be around 12-14%? Will a drive spacer help? Prop Work? What do you guys think? Also, 64 degrees this morn when tested, Elevation 880, 6" Chop, 10mph wind. Motor itself seemed great, I think it's just setup?? Gonna start drinkin early today!! LOL

Derek
Old 04-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Derek,

A one inch spacer and a Merc Lab 28 should put you in the ballpark.
If you don't want to go the spacer route... try a 26 pitch p5x.

When my 600sci was stock, (which is only about 40 more hp than you have), I spun a 27 p5x to 5400 which equaled 80-81 mph.

Chris

Last edited by CB-BLR; 04-12-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Registered

Derek,
Chris is correct. The factory had a good idea in trying higher (19-19.25"s, 18-18.25"s would be right) X dimensions on these boats. They just didn't do enough testing to see if it really works, and it usually doesn't. These boats need lift to run properly, and they won't without a spacer and/or a 5 blade. If you look at it this way, it could be worse.....most boats need a shorty lower to run well since their XDs are too low. A new prop or a spacer is much less expensive. It's easier to go down than up.
I would test the 5 blade 1st, since it's easier than installing a spacer, but you will probably need the 1" spacer too, if you are currently at 24% slip. That's way high............
I have a 1" spacer on mine, and I run a Hydro P-5X.
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 04-12-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Registered

Derek, if you can't get that 525 dialed in like you want, be sure you can just put it in mine before you send it out. I haven't even got the Heat from you yet and i'm already looking at new power options. I'm thinking the Raylar looks pretty interesting. Good luck on your set-up. I am thinking about having the boat hauled out this week, Thurs or Fri. Would that work for your hauler? Kirk

Last edited by chase8; 04-12-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:13 PM
Registered

I have an 05 Heat with a 525 ....I am hitting 4900RPM with a 4 Blade 26pitch ...Just sent prop to BBlads a few days ago to get them to gain me about 3 to 400 more RPM ...I was hitting around 75MPH....

BTW this Heat came with a 496 HO ..then I did the Raylar (Long Story) now 525 and very happy
Old 04-13-2010, 08:57 AM
Registered

Well, I took the B1 28 to the prop shop to make sure it was OK(It was), and ended up getting the LH P-5 back just to try it first. We'll see how that adventure goes this afternoon!! LOL That is the only 5 blade he had that would even come close to working. I wanted to take a B1 30 too, but it was out on a test. I'm gonna take a B1 32 today with the P-5 just to see how it does while I'm there. That is the prop that came with the motor/drive package. I know it's a waste of time, but tonight I figure I will be ordering the spacer.

Derek
Old 04-13-2010, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Sportmaster lower might also be slowing you down. They work great with some boats didn't on the Flame.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nordic Gary
Sportmaster lower might also be slowing you down. They work great with some boats didn't on the Flame.
I thought about that too... I have a Shockwave for sale right now with a brand new XR on it and Really considering swaping it out because everyone knows so much more about setting up a XR with a standard Lower. Anyone think thats a terrible Idea?

Thanks, Derek
Old 04-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bullittcustoms
I thought about that too... I have a Shockwave for sale right now with a brand new XR on it and Really considering swaping it out because everyone knows so much more about setting up a XR with a standard Lower. Anyone think thats a terrible Idea?

Thanks, Derek
Hi Derek,
A general rule of thumb is the faster you run, the more a "nose cone" type gearcase helps. The XR does work OK up to 80/85. The Sportmaster is more valuable if you need to sell it. Obviously the gold standard is the Imco lower. Even though the sportmaster is not quite as sleek as the Imco, and probably has a higher drag coefficient, it is definitely sleeker than a stock XR housing. I would do more testing with propellers and a spacer before you send the Sportmaster down the road. Plus, it looks cool .........
Also keep in mind you can swap your Sportmaster internals over to an Imco standard length housing.
Nordic Navy Guys, has anyone run a Sportmaster on a Heat???
Best Regards,
Steve
Old 04-13-2010, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

On Lake Texoma this time of year I would expect your Heat to run 74-75 MPH(GPS). So, your speed is not that far off. Just work with your props and setup until it performs correctly. I installed the 525 in BoatingBent's Heat last summer. It ran a tick over 72 (gps)on Lake LBJ in the summer heat with a labbed 26, turning about 5100 RPM. He's now running a stock 26 (in Minnesota) where it is a bit faster than here in Texas. Heats have a lot of prop slip when running a Bravo prop. I suspect you'll need that drive spacer to get the bow up.

Bob Lloyd
Full Throttle Marine

Originally Posted by bullittcustoms
Hey Guys, Need a little help here.. Took my heat out today for the first time since the swap and i was MAJOR DISAPPOINTED. Remember 525, XR, Sportmaster Lower, and stuck on a B1 28. The boat came out of the hole like a dog and spun out BAD!! Midrange response SUCKED!! and on top I was running 5400(so the tach said) RPM and 72 on GPS with the drive opened up. Two half tanks of fuel, ME only, and half the cushions out of the boat including the rear bench cushion. Sportmaster lower seems to be same depth as a XR lower. (my Measurements) Prop Calculator at Bronson Propellors website said 24% SLIP!!!! WTF!!! Shouldn't I be around 12-14%? Will a drive spacer help? Prop Work? What do you guys think? Also, 64 degrees this morn when tested, Elevation 880, 6" Chop, 10mph wind. Motor itself seemed great, I think it's just setup?? Gonna start drinkin early today!! LOL

Derek

Last edited by bobl; 04-13-2010 at 06:35 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.