VHF radio >

VHF radio

Notices

VHF radio

Old 02-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VHF radio

I'm trying get some ideas on where to mount the marine radio and antennae. I'm thinking to the right and below the steering wheel for the radio but not sure on a good location for the antenna or what kind, length? I'm afraid it will be an eye sore to have this giant 6 ft antenna hanging off the side. I wanted to see where you guys put yours. Pics would be a great help.
Anyone going to the Utah boat show this weekend? I hope Nordic brought a 28ss. I would love to see one up close.
Thanks
Eric
Old 02-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you are running offshore, where the additional height of a hard mount antenna is an advantage, I would get a high wattage handheld. That way you can move it from boat to boat, or vehicle. On the biggest freshwater lakes I've been on, Cumberland, Kentucky, and Okeechobee, handheld VHFs seem to work well.
You are right, the antennas are fugly on performance boats.
Fine on a center console with a T-top, cruiser, or houseboat.........
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 02-09-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
Unless you are running offshore, where the additional height of a hard mount antenna is an advantage, I would get a high wattage handheld. That way you can move it from boat to boat, or vehicle. On the biggest freshwater lakes I've been on, Cumberland, Kentucky, and Okeechobee, handheld VHFs seem to work well.
You are right, the antennas are fugly on performance boats.
Fine on a center console with a T-top, cruiser, or houseboat.........
Steve
I have a couple of Garmin Rino 530HCX handhelds that we use for snowmobiling... is that what you're talking about Steve?
Old 02-09-2012, 11:33 PM
Registered

There are many multi band VHF handheld radios (ICOM, Uniden, Cobra, etc) that will work for Eric's needs. Using your Rhinos on your snowmobiles is a good example of the advantages of handheld units over a hard mounted system. They're portable. I don't know if the Rhinos are available in VHF. When I was racing we used FRS Garmins. They worked very well. I have fished on Okeechobee and the guides there use handheld VHFs. It's a huge lake.
The hard mount units do have more power, but you have to mount the antenna externally. I've seen it done, but it isn't pretty........
Eric if you are set on a hardmount VHF, and you want to keep your side decks "clean looking", you might try mounting the antenna under the side deck. I have one of my GPS antennas mounted under the deck and it works great.
Regards,
Steve
Old 02-10-2012, 02:31 AM
Registered

Steve,
You're right, now that I think about it the only two lakes where I think I would need the range/power of the hard mouted VHF are Lake Powell and Flaming Gorge. Both are pretty big lakes (especially powell) that have steep tall canyons which makes having any range/power useless anyways. At least if I had the handheld I could take it to higher ground if needed.
Plus I can get a handheld for cheaper. I see lots of unidens that are a decent price and get good reviews, is there any particular brand you would recomend?
Thanks
Eric
Old 02-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Registered

All the major brands have good radios.
I would go for maximum power (5-6 watts) and whatever bands and features you need.
I think floating and waterproofing are always good features around the boat.
And, in this economy, as you mentioned, a good deal!
Let us know what you get, and how it works. They are handy to have if you have a breakdown
out of cell coverage/range.
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 02-10-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Registered

Thanks Steve, I'll let you know what I get. I'm going to the boat show this weekend, maybe I'll find something there.
Eric
Old 02-11-2012, 01:37 PM
Registered

Another option to consider: get one compatible to also recharge thru your cig lighter (if applicable) on your boat.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Registered

I ended up buying the Uniden MHS125. It had good reviews, it floats, it's submersible, has multiple transmitter power settings (1W,2.5W,5W), comes with AC and DC chargers for the lithium-ion or can use AA batteries. Found it on ebay for $120 with free shipping and comes with a 3 year warranty. I haven't gotten it yet but its on the way. Now I just need to get out on the lake and try it out. Bring on the warm weather!
Eric
Old 03-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Registered

Sounds like a great deal on a nice VHF.
Let us know what you think when you get back on the water.
Regards,
Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.