'03 Nordic heat level problems >

'03 Nordic heat level problems

Notices

'03 Nordic heat level problems

Old 05-10-2012, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 Nordic heat level problems

Hey guys, I have a 2003 Nordic heat and when Im on plane the boat leans to the left alot. It sits level when im idling. Even if my right gas tank is full and the left is empty, it will still lean to the left. I have to put down my left trim tab at the number 2mark on my tab indicator to plane level but this lowers my speed. Has anyone had this problem before? How do i fix this without using my trim tabs?
My set up:
2003 Nordic heat, 509 carb, 3300 Whipple SC, Imco SC extreme out drive with standard Imco lower, Brovo 1 4 blade 30p prop.
Thanks
Old 05-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Registered

you running a LH or RH prop?
Old 05-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by nedpoole
you running a LH or RH prop?
Im pretty sure its RH, I mean it spins clockwise.
nedpoole- what size prop do you run?

Last edited by jodyxjames; 05-10-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Jody,
This is an issue with a lot of single engine boats with some horsepower and right hand rotatation (95% are RH). That's why the factories normally put the driver's station on the right side of the boat. It's your propeller torque rolling the boat over to port.
I normally run about 1/4 tank more fuel on the driver's side, and mine is OK. You can tab it out, but that will scrub speed off, and can cause some erratic handling at different speeds and in turns. You can also move your passengers around, with the heavier ones to the right or starboard side.
My boat has a water tank on the port (left) side, about midship, a really bad spot. If you have one too, run it empty. Water weighs 9 pounds per gallon, and it really rolls the boat over to port. I know it simplified the plumbing where they are, but these should have been mounted on the transom on the right side.
If none of this works, check your hull for hook or rocker with a straightedge, like a 4' level.
Sounds like you have a really nice boat. Good luck and keep us posted with your results.
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 05-10-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jodyxjames
Im pretty sure its RH, I mean it spins clockwise.
nedpoole- what size prop do you run?
30p RH Bravo 1 labbed from Merc.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
Hi Jody,
This is an issue with a lot of single engine boats with some horsepower and right hand rotatation (95% are RH). That's why the factories normally put the driver's station on the right side of the boat. It's your propeller torque rolling the boat over to port.
I normally run about 1/4 tank more fuel on the driver's side, and mine is OK. You can tab it out, but that will scrub speed off, and can cause some erratic handling at different speeds and in turns. You can also move your passengers around, with the heavier ones to the right or starboard side.
My boat has a water tank on the port (left) side, about midship, a really bad spot. If you have one too, run it empty. Water weighs 9 pounds per gallon, and it really rolls the boat over to port. I know it simplifed the plumbing where they are, but these should have been mounted on the transom on the right side.
If none of this works, check your hull for hook or rocker with a straightedge, like a 4' level.
Sounds like you have a really nice boat. Good luck and keep us posted with your results.
Regards,
Steve
Thanks Steve, im running about 700hp. I don't have a water tank, but I was thinking about moving all my batteries to the right side (3). But then I worry about the boat leaning while in idle or anchored.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Registered

Hi Jody,
You do seem to have an extreme version of this roll to port, that we all have, but to a lesser degree. One more thing worth checking........there could be water trapped under your floor on the left side of the stringer. Again, unlikely, but not impossible. At the transom end end of the main stringers, there are 1" holes that are used to drain water behind them into the bilge area. You might want to make sure they aren't clogged.
Regarding propellers, the 4 blades are not as bad as the 5s, so that's probably not the problem.
Regards,
Steve
Old 05-11-2012, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually bringing the trim up slightly once on plane will improve the roll. I have been in quite a few Heats and don't recall any of them having much of a roll.

Bob
Old 05-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
Hi Jody,
You do seem to have an extreme version of this roll to port, that we all have, but to a lesser degree. One more thing worth checking........there could be water trapped under your floor on the left side of the stringer. Again, unlikely, but not impossible. At the transom end end of the main stringers, there are 1" holes that are used to drain water behind them into the bilge area. You might want to make sure they aren't clogged.
Regarding propellers, the 4 blades are not as bad as the 5s, so that's probably not the problem.
Regards,
Steve
Steve I check a few things and I believe it could be the torque make the boat roll, the boat levels out when its floating and I notice when I'm planing and make a hard right turn, my boat does not lean into the turn like a vee hull should. It turns like the trim tab is down, but it is not down. You get what I saying? Anyways. Being that my boat rolls like it does, is it bad for my drive? I broke the rod that goes from the lower to the upper twice in on season, my mech says my prop is coming out the water but I don't wave jump or do any throdling. I also notice in other forums u talk abt the XD on Nordic heats, I called nordic n they said my XD should be 15 1/8. I have not check it yet but you says it should be around 18"? I'm really trying to figure if I'm breaking drives because of the roll or XD or what. And if I use the trim tabs to plan level won't this bring my prop closer to the surface? Thanks for you input.

Last edited by jodyxjames; 05-11-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Registered

Hi Jody,
Yeah there is defintely something wrong with your setup. That just doesn't add up.
I see where you are in Baton Rouge, LA.
BobL is the Texas Nordic dealer. He is an excellent technician on motors and setups.
I wish you could get you boat over to his dealership in Spicewood.
I know he could diagnose this for you in person, and get you set up properly.
Best Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 05-11-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.