Notices

Rage ?

Old 06-02-2014, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rage ?

Ive been a fan of the Rage for quite a while and Im looking to replace my current boat in the relatively near future. I have a couple questions about the boat.

My current boat is a Crownline 230LS. Its about 22ft of boat with a 2ft swim deck, 22deg deadrise, and its about 4300lb dry. Currently has a lot of stereo and gear, easily over 5000lb with fuel and and passengers.

I like the Crownline, but Im past due for owning a powerboat. I like the open bow option on the Rage, need space for the family. We are on Lake Conroe, north of Houston TX. For those not familiar with it, the lake is small (IMO) and mostly bulkheaded. On normal weekend, its rough and the bulkhead makes a chop that has no pattern or direction. The Crownline does well with 1-2ft of chop. Starts getting rough in the 2ft stuff. On a busy or windy weekend, its not uncommon to see 3+ft which is too much for that boat. On decent water, I can cruise 40-45, but of course, Id like more speed as well.

#1 - the Rage has the same deadrise, but has the stepped hull. Its also lighter, but longer. Can I expect it to handle the chop significantly better? If I can work it, I would move up to the Heat, but at this point I don't think I can fit that much boat in my slip. Rage would get tabs if it didnt already have them. There is one Rage I see on the lake occasionally, but Ive never been able to catch him not running. Would be great to take a test ride if I can.

#2 - May seem like a dumb question, but it looks like all the Nordics are thru hull only? Is there anyway to convert to Capts Call? I live on a cove and the capts call is nice for not pissing off the neighbors for early/late boat rides.

Thanks in advance

AW
Old 06-04-2014, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I owned a 07 Rage MCOB w/496HO for 3 seasons and loved the boat although in rough water conditions like 2' or better it was not as smooth ride as I would have liked. It was not comfortable for passengers ridding in the bow in rough conditions. I had tabs on the boat just because they were on it when I got it. Personally I don't think they are a must have on a Rage. We boat at 6500 feet and I used the tabs when coming out of the water to get on plane faster. As far as sound mine had the angled tips in the transom corners and are under water when idling around the marina and docks etc. so sound was not much of an issue I'd be concerned about.

I sold the Rage in January and purchased a 2010 Heat w/600SCI Closed Bow. The Heat definitely has a better ride in rough conditions, obviously being longer and heavier. If you could make the Heat work I think you would be much happier in the long run given the water conditions you defined.

Feel free to shoot me a PM with additional questions or to discuss further.

Steven
Old 06-04-2014, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

ADub - I'm not real new to boating but just recently purchased a Cobalt 226 that is about the same length and weight as the Crownline -
I need some information because what you describe has been said in a few other posts.

I don't understand your issue in a 2ft wave - We've been in "those" conditions all day long in ours and it really is nothing to write home about. Now granted most (if not all) of the waves are coming in the same direction - depending on the winds - but our boat handles this without issue. We don't run WOT (mid to high 60's) in these conditions - but pretty typically- mid to upper 40's. (7.4mpi Bravo III)

thank you for the inputs and safe boating

3pointstar
Old 06-04-2014, 11:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dawnpatrol
I owned a 07 Rage MCOB w/496HO for 3 seasons and loved the boat although in rough water conditions like 2' or better it was not as smooth ride as I would have liked. It was not comfortable for passengers ridding in the bow in rough conditions. I had tabs on the boat just because they were on it when I got it. Personally I don't think they are a must have on a Rage. We boat at 6500 feet and I used the tabs when coming out of the water to get on plane faster. As far as sound mine had the angled tips in the transom corners and are under water when idling around the marina and docks etc. so sound was not much of an issue I'd be concerned about.

I sold the Rage in January and purchased a 2010 Heat w/600SCI Closed Bow. The Heat definitely has a better ride in rough conditions, obviously being longer and heavier. If you could make the Heat work I think you would be much happier in the long run given the water conditions you defined.

Feel free to shoot me a PM with additional questions or to discuss further.

Steven
Thanks Steven. I was able to do some searching on the exhaust and found some switchable muffler options if it comes down to it. My current boat is the same way with bow passengers in rough water and the interior layout of the Rage would force someone to have to sit up front or in the cabin. I know it would be a compromise, but another good thing about the Rage hull is the shallower draft. We are above full right now, but the last ~5 years, the water has been significantly down on Conroe. If I had a Heat, I would have had to pull it in August of last year, whereas the Rage and my current boat could still get out of the slip. Next time we go up, Im going to do some measuring and see if 28ft of boat will fit in there.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 3pointstar
ADub - I'm not real new to boating but just recently purchased a Cobalt 226 that is about the same length and weight as the Crownline -
I need some information because what you describe has been said in a few other posts.

I don't understand your issue in a 2ft wave - We've been in "those" conditions all day long in ours and it really is nothing to write home about. Now granted most (if not all) of the waves are coming in the same direction - depending on the winds - but our boat handles this without issue. We don't run WOT (mid to high 60's) in these conditions - but pretty typically- mid to upper 40's. (7.4mpi Bravo III)

thank you for the inputs and safe boating

3pointstar
It starts getting rough in the 2ft wave size. Its not unbearable by any means, esp if its early in the day and the waves are due to wind (one direction). Once the chop gets over 2ft and mixed, it just sucks because you cannot position the boat for the best ride since the waves are constantly shifting directions. Add in a busy weekend and lots of wake to dodge as well....more boat, the better
Old 06-05-2014, 11:31 PM
Banned

IMO silent choice is about the worst thing you can put in a Performace boat. You've probably never seen one in a rage for several reasons, one big one being that was mentioned prior, the exhaust is under water at idle.

I don't have tons of time on my new to me Rage, however the time I spent up in Havasu idling through the channel with stainless marine manifolds on the 502 that I just removed, it was as quiet as could be until on plane. Installing a 650 hp 496 stroker with eickert headers and honestly doubt there will be much added noise as it exits under water. Actually very smart of nordic to design the rage and heat this way IMO.

Also keep in mind the Rage is faster than the larger Heat. It sounds like handling is paramount for you, and I understand that having a family myself. Would be great if that guy with the Rage could give you a ride. IMO what you are describing isn't truly too rough for a Rage, however the Rage and the Heat aren't big water boats like a true offshore 24 degree hull, ie fountain, Cig..... They are river/mid sized inland lake boats. Opinions are all over the place on this topic,so my advice is try both if possible. Good luck!

Last edited by Borgie; 06-05-2014 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:34 AM
Registered

I love my Heat, honestly do. But she is not a rough water boat. Even Lake Travis will beat your kidneys to death on a semi-busy day. The Nordic Navy here in central Texas is growing well. We have some Rages and Heats. You are more than welcome to ride along with me for a Heat trial. Only a couple hours from you.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:37 AM
Registered

Thanks everyone for all the good info.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:11 PM
Registered

ADub I recently bought a Rage MCOB and have been to conroe with it twice, I live in Spring. I will be out there this Sat with a group of people, you are more then welcome to come meet up with us and take a test ride. Just let me know

Daryn
Old 06-11-2014, 02:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dlank
ADub I recently bought a Rage MCOB and have been to conroe with it twice, I live in Spring. I will be out there this Sat with a group of people, you are more then welcome to come meet up with us and take a test ride. Just let me know

Daryn
I will definitely take you up on that. Sending a PM with my details

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.