New Heat Owner >

New Heat Owner

Notices

New Heat Owner

Old 10-20-2014, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Heat Owner

I picked up this 06 last week. 496HO 240 hrs. I will have more pics once I get it home (currently stashed in OK until this weekend).

Boat seems to be in good mechanical shape, but in the P/Os 3 years of ownership, I don't think he ever cleaned it. I didn't grab any pics of the vinyl. Its all in good physical shape, but the valleys in the grain are filthy. Anyone had any luck getting this out?

Not sure if you can see the haze in the gelcoat, but it needs a good buff/wax as well.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

ADub-- BOAT LOOKS GREAT!!!

It turns my stomach to learn of a PO lack of cleaning and upkeep. How can you have such a nice boat and not take care of it? Oh well!!

Before you go crazy buffing etc., You may want to "try" onr of the Magic Erasers - Mr. Clean brand is what I used. Somewhere in OSO there was a post from a guy that used this to take off oxidation. I tried it on my Cobalt - and it really worked for me -- It was basically a wipe on dry off. In my world there wasn't a lot of oxidation but what was there came right off.

If buffing is your need I had the best of luck with 3M oxidation remover.

For the Bilge - oils, general dirt etc. I use Simple Green full strength with hot water. Let it sit, scrub and it comes out like new. In fact I've used it on all our seats, dash etc., (diluted) as a general cleaning aid. For the dirt creases in your seats etc., I would try full strength in a inconspicuous area and see if it stains or not -- if not the let er rip!!!

Also, if there is scum on the bottom or scale on the outdrive - I've used the least expensive toilet bowl cleaner on the market-- spray on let it sit a few minutes and hose off. Another tool is "Iron Out". Every once and a while I get a "yellowing" on the hull - Spray on and hose off. The yellow color falls off!

Being a used boat - I'm not qualified to speak about engine stuffs - but I will tell you this much - make sure you have the engine alignment checked.-- Anything that is out of alignment WILL end up costing you big bucks in the future -- I know that first hand.

All the best

3pointstar

All the
Old 10-20-2014, 08:27 AM
Registered

There is no shortage of oxidation, but he also trailered it with the mooring cover on....on a dirty boat....so it needs lots of buffing....
Old 10-20-2014, 04:04 PM
Registered

Magic eraser is the key to everything. The grain of the vinyl, the rub rail, everything. Better get a few boxes though. Can't wait to see her cleaned up and loved.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:38 AM
Registered

Got the boat to Conroe on Friday, ran it for about an hour and put it away. Noticed a few things. PS hose from reservoir to pump was leaking, tightened clamp, seemed to fix it. Has a squeal at 3000-3200 rpm once warm. PS pump was replaced last season including new pulley. Belt looks ok, but maybe pump is out of alignment? Put gas in it, could not run pump at wide open, would spill back out. Had to keep pump at low throttle. Is that normal?
Old 10-27-2014, 09:02 AM
Registered

It seems to be normal, at least for me. Can take a long long time to get the ole girl filled up when running it cracked open lol. As far as the squeal goes, try looking down on the belt from directly above and see what if its out of alignment. I am sure there are some measurements that can be done, but I dont know em.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:31 PM
Registered

I've found that if you don't put the nozzle all the way in so it leaves some breathing room that helps a lot. Also check your gas tank vents to make sure they are breathing. If the air can't get out of the tank it burps all over the side of the boat.
As for the squealing, did it get PS fluid all over the belt...maybe causing it to slip? Check the belt tensioner also, make sure it's good and tight.
Nice looking heat!
Welcome to the Nordic Navy!
Old 11-02-2014, 10:58 AM
Registered

I started the cleaning this week. Magic Eraser soaked with Krud Kutter made a pretty big impact. Still got a long ways to go.

Before

After

PS is still leaking at the reservoir hose to pump body connection. I pulled the hose, but auto parts store doesn't carry that size. I cut the ends off, flipped around so each side had a new connection, but even at that, its still leaking same spot. Can't tell for sure that it is the hose, but it has a steel nipple pressed into the pump body. Doubt thats leaking. Ordered the mercruiser hose, will try it in a couple weeks.

I do think the pulley isn't fully seated, causing the belt noise. Looks like it needs another 1/8" in. P/O had left the cheaper threaded rod tool installed. Pulled that and I will go rent the proper tool with the roller bearing and see if I can't get it on a bit more.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 44 Posts

when you press on the pulley, a good trick is to use a straight edge and hold it along the face of the other pulleys to determine if its in line
Originally Posted by ADub
I started the cleaning this week. Magic Eraser soaked with Krud Kutter made a pretty big impact. Still got a long ways to go.

Before

After

PS is still leaking at the reservoir hose to pump body connection. I pulled the hose, but auto parts store doesn't carry that size. I cut the ends off, flipped around so each side had a new connection, but even at that, its still leaking same spot. Can't tell for sure that it is the hose, but it has a steel nipple pressed into the pump body. Doubt thats leaking. Ordered the mercruiser hose, will try it in a couple weeks.

I do think the pulley isn't fully seated, causing the belt noise. Looks like it needs another 1/8" in. P/O had left the cheaper threaded rod tool installed. Pulled that and I will go rent the proper tool with the roller bearing and see if I can't get it on a bit more.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 44 Posts

btw congrats on your purchase and welcome to the Nordic navy!!! a magic eraser will be your best friend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.