Nordic Quality? >

Nordic Quality?

Notices

Nordic Quality?

Old 03-25-2003, 07:11 AM
rv
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the update. Fortunately we don't keep ours in the water. I am surprised to here this about the resin. I thought this was a problem 10yrs ago and all the manufactures switched over to the new resins. Bad assumption.

Rick
Old 03-25-2003, 07:17 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 873 Likes on 322 Posts

When I was out at the factory, I saw containers of vinylester resin in the building where they perform the glass lay-up. Something is wrong here
Old 03-25-2003, 08:00 PM
35flame

If Nordic is using and has been using vinylester resins in lay up, I wish they would crow about it like most other builders do. Some builders like Formula use AME 4000 and AME 5000 resin. When other boats are tested by Powerboat mag, the type of resin used is mentioned most of the time. Im no expert, but it seems to me if you can apply gelcoat to the mold, then apply a barrier coat to a recommended thickness over the gelcoat, then start the resin and glass work, the barrier coat would minimize the chances of water getting to the resin. When it does get to the resin, it forms a gas and bingo, blisters. Am I right here? Could it be that easy? Maybe Im making it sound easier then it would be to do. Any info would be great. God bless America!

Old 03-26-2003, 09:31 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

When you mention barrier coat, what specific product are you referring to? I do know that Nordic sprays a black coating of some sort to the mold after the gelcoat has been applied, prior to the lay-up procedure. This is visible from the hull/deck joint in my 28 (I've had my boat's interior completely apart when making some modifications). They join the hull/deck when they are in their specific molds and this joint and coating is visible if you pull off your side panels. My boat was built in '01 and I'm not sure if anything has changed since then. This is the first I've heard of blistering on a Nordic. I'm not defending Nordic or they way they've handled your situation, I've just been out to the factory several times and have a pretty good knowledge of how the boats are built. I'd sure be upset also if this was on my boat. Oh...Nordic is not going to blow their own horn, Orval could care less about promoting his product.

It's a fact that gelcoat absorbs water, that's why boats that sit for extended periods need bottom paint. Perform a search on this site about blistering, it's come up in the past and there is some good info here about the subject.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:09 PM
35flame

Indy, When I discovered the blisters on my boat, I set out to find out as much as possible on the subject. Web sites, local surveyor, highly recommended glass guy and so on. The product I referred to and faxed to Lonnie is Duratec vinylester primer. FYI the web site is duratec1.com. Also, you can go to a site called fiberglast.com. They discuss the problem, resins, and repairs in detail, especially vinylester resins. Im glad you mentioned that black coating. I discovered the same thing and even some green specs when I did a small exploratory on a blistered area. I have no clue what that is. My boat is an 01 also. I was also happy to see that band of fiberglass joining the deck and hull together. Thats the way to do it. I did have a fiberglass expert look my boat over before anything was done and he felt the gel coat is to thin. Maybe a friday afternoon shooting. Along the strakes, in some areas, you can see that black coating right through it. One of the things I learned was that gel coat applied to thin will invite the problem. This will make you feel good, I have a buddy at the lake who has a 99 28 heat and his has sat in the water for our 5 month season since he got it and no blistering. Guess I just got lucky. No whining here though. Ive managed to make friends with the local glass guy and as I said before, when it has to be done, we are going to check the hull for any blueprinting that can be done and re finish the bottom so it can stay in the water. We will also add graphite to the running surface. He has done some very expensive performance boats like this with good results. If I have to do it, might as well try to improve it. And yes I still love the damn thing! Trailer too! God bless our troops!

Old 10-06-2003, 08:47 PM
merkruzer

35flame
Have you looked into the newer self-contained lifts?
They are great even in mooring situations, as they are 12 volt with solar charger. They have two types a floating lift and a stationary lift with about 5' of travel.
If I can find the wbsite Ill post it.

Old 09-08-2004, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Nordic Quality?

After all the great reviews I've read I finally got rid of my Baja and I'm looking at picking up my first Nordic this weekend.
Being "Nordic Happy" I'm searching around the forums and keep reading about these quality issues and terrible customer service.....WHAT GIVES?!?
Old 09-08-2004, 04:18 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Three years later and I'm without my Nordic. I probably put my Nordic through more rough water time than they usually see. After 2.5 years of running in the tough stuff, only minor issues. I took more of a beating than I would have in an east coast boat, but it held up fine. It's not as solid as the east coast designs (rattles & stuff) and I can't tell you how long it would hold up in comparison to an east coast boat in these waters, but for the time I had it, it performed well. I had some issues with Nordic and their dealer, but in the end, it all worked out ok. Enjoy your boat, it's a good one.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:09 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Oh...BTW...I've been to the Nordic factory twice and I've seen boats in all stages of construction. Hand laminated, deck and hull laminated together, glue tech stringers, XL plywood in transom and floor (newer models I think have fiberglass floors). Built well. I'll be looking for other features that would be included in a rough water boat, but what is in the Nordic is good quality.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just came from a 20' Baja Outlaw with a 454 and wasn't impressed with the quality of Baja. I've seen too many that after 10-12 years had cracks everywhere in the gel-coat.
Wanting a better, more solid quality boat I started looking at west coast customs, plus Baja's are EVERYWHERE you look around here!

I passed up a few Formula's due to "cookie cutter" look and focused on Nordic's and Howard's, Howard seems to really take care of there customers and builds an outstanding product but WOW do you pay for it. Plus looking for a used one is a rare find, especially in Wisconsin!!!
We'll it looks like I go to see the Nordic this weekend, I'll be looking a little closer at details now.......

Quick Reply: Nordic Quality?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.