Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Nordic
Nordic Quality? >

Nordic Quality?

Notices

Nordic Quality?

Old 11-04-2002, 12:09 AM
Dragon Slayer

Default Nordic Quality?

I have been in the marine design business for the past 23 years, and worked as a marine surveyor for the past 15. I have been a boater all of my life. I see more and more of them on Havasu. The Nordic is an awesome looking boat and I have surveyed a few of them in the past but not in a couple of years. I was not really impressed with the last one I surveyed. The seats, gunnels and floor was made out of painted plywood and the engine compartment didn't have a floor and the stringers were exposed. The gel coat was about the same thickness as paint. Do they still build them that way or have they improved their quality? I love to race them when they will.

Old 11-04-2002, 06:37 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 873 Likes on 322 Posts

I don't know what boat you were looking at
1) Yes there is a floor on either side of the engine in the single engine boats. The stringers are GlueTech Lams, four full length stringers. Gunnels made of plywood?? Never seen plywood gunnels. I don't even think Bayliner has plywood gunnels.
2) The floor in the cockpit is made of the same thing some of the east coast builders that build high quality offshore boats, XL marine grade plywood, life time warrantee. The 35 has a fiberglass liner, the 25, 28 have 3/4" XL.
3) The gel-coat is plenty thick, are you looking for a measurement I can tell from the chip in the gel I made this year
If you go to the factory, you can see the quality for yourself.

Re-post when you get accurate information.

Last edited by Indy; 11-04-2002 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:12 PM
Dragon Slayer

Default Go to the factory....if you only knew

If you are happy with your boat, I won't ask you what is under that thin gray paint that your back seat is constructed of. I won't ask you how your seats are fastened to the floor. I won't ask you what is behind that plush upholstery on the sides of your cockpit. By the way, those of us in the business refer to those as gunnels. I won't ask you to explain how you gain access to repair that leaky faucet. I won't ask you about that fiberglass liner you referred to. I won't ask what east coast boats you are referring to. I will ask what business you are in.

Old 11-05-2002, 07:27 AM
rv
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure what point you are trying to make. If it is Nordic uses plywood in its construction. Then yes, you are right. All of the areas you mentioned is plywood. I believe Indy indicated they do use plywood - XL marine plywood.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:06 AM
DallasHeat

Dragon Slayer,

What do you want to say? Just say it! Did you feel compelled to come on here and bash Nordic? If so get it over with and leave. Any constructive comments that may enlighten us would be welcomed otherwise .....Bye.

DallasHeat

Old 11-05-2002, 08:16 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 873 Likes on 322 Posts

RV, his point is that he has a thing with Nordics...first time poster, the name, and comments.

I wasn't aware that side panels constitute "gunnels". Those in the "industry" usually refer to the top of the hull sides as gunnels. Side panels are just that...side panels, XL is fine for that application, as are the seats.

But now that I'm enlightened from your comments, I'd better hurry up and sell my boat. I guess a couple of years of hard running in the Sound (not very lake like conditions) and no problems or issues, it'll probably fall apart next year

As far as racing Nordics goes...buy a Pantera, Powerplay, Activator, Cig, et al., I would if I were going to race. There's alot of rich racing history there.

And by the way...it shouldn't matter what industry I'm in, those in the "business" don't have a corner on marine knowledge as evidenced by the number of idiots running around out there.

Oh...and you might as well get your name right...the Nordic logo is a sea serpent, not a dragon.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Hey All You Other Nordic Fans,

Never argue with someone stupider than you.

Pesky Varmint
Old 11-05-2002, 11:26 AM
rv
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pesky,
Long time since we last talked. How are you doing. We sure had a great summer on Lake Michigan with our new boat. I saw a couple pictures of yours at the Fall Heat Wave run. Looks like it is still running pretty good. Have you heard from Dan and Deb lately, do they have their engines together yet.

Keep in touch,
Rick
Old 11-05-2002, 06:10 PM
Hustled

Default I have to agree with him

As bad as I hate to admit it, I have to agree with the Slayer. I have owned two Nordics, a 25' and a 35'. Maybe it was just my bad luck but I had more problems than I care to remember. I liked the way the 25 looked and I thought that maybe it was just a lemon so I upgraded to a 35. OMG, it got worse. He is right about the wood in the seats. If they are marine grade, they sure rot like interior grade. The cover that came with mine was not what I would call the most superior on the market. I usually stored it in a storage building but I left it out for about a week and when I returned, I was disheartened to find that it had ripped under the weight of the water that had collected on it. Ok, I can handle that but later when I flipped up the seat, the wood was totally rotten and so bad that it tore loose from the henges. I contacted my dealer and he contacted Nordic and that was the last I heard from it so I replaced it with real marine grade complete with drain holes and that ended that problem. The dack hatches leaked from the git go and so did those pop up cleats. Then that neat little electric door stopped working and that little motor is a ***** to get to and change. It might have helped the pain a little if Nordic had of helped me but all of my calls to the factory went unanswered. If you baby them to death, they might be a good boat. My gelcoat was evidently pretty thin as compared to other boats because it did blister and never spent the first night in the water. I did give Nordic every chance. I have since traded and have been more than happy with my current boat which is NOT a Nordic.

Old 11-05-2002, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't care what they are made of

They sure do look good and I hear we now have a new dealership here for them. Hopefully, I can sell this ole Baja and get one of 'em.

Quick Reply: Nordic Quality?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.