Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Nordic
Prop help Best Prop for a 28 heat >

Prop help Best Prop for a 28 heat

Notices

Prop help Best Prop for a 28 heat

Old 07-28-2004, 11:07 AM
cryoracer

Default Re: Prop help Best Prop for a 28 heat

Hello Everyone, I have enjoyed reading this forum on the best prop for the 28 Heat. I am considering a different prop as well but, I have a question on prop slip. I hope this is an Ok place to ask it? I have a 2002 28' Heat running a BMax drive and I am coming up with 22 percent slip. I need some expert advice on if you think the drive needs a 1/2" spacer to put more drive in the water, or if you think it may be too deep? It is a stock length Bmax not the short version. Any help would be greatly apprecated. Thanks, Glen

Old 07-28-2004, 11:34 AM
rv
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a straight bottom Heat with a 454mag and ran a 22" Bravo prop. This prop carried the boat well in did not slip on take off or in turns. The slip was 16.8%. I also had a 23" 3 blade prop and the speed was about the same but the prop would blow out on take off and in turns.

The boat loved trim, the more the looser it got. That coupled with a 12-18" chop was the best speed run.

Rick
Old 07-28-2004, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Cryoracer,
I'm guessing your boat is from Frank's. If this is so, I understand you are running a lot of pitch (32-34) and the slip becomes worse as you go up in pitch. Also, with the Bravos you'll need to subtract about an 1-1/2 from the pitch prior to you calculations due to the way Merc rates thier props so your slip may not be as bad as you think but still bad. We had a former Heat owner that tried dropping the drive an inch and a half and he saw no change.
Give Matt and Julie at Throttle Up a call and see if they'll let you demo a P5-X in the 30-32 range to try. I think you'll be very impressed although you must work it on the top end because it is soooo different. It will take a ton of trim and don't look for that pretty rooster tail we all throw because it just won't be there. Once you find the sweet spot you'll never go back to the Bravo.
I'd be curious to talk to you sometime about your big hp setup sometime so we can compare some notes.
Dave
[email protected]
801-323-6528
Old 07-28-2004, 12:52 PM
cryoracer

Thanks for your guys input. Yes Dave, this is the boat from Frank's. I did talk to Julie at throttle up and she metioned about lowering the drive, but I am not convinced that is the answer. I have to go out for a while but will give you a call soon. I am running a 30 pitch prop with one of our antifriction coatings on it currently. It works pretty well, but I am very curious about the 5 blade props. I notice someone above mentioned they lost some top end and I do not want to do that. Like everyone else I am looking for a little more. Yet, I am very happy with where it is running. I just need some seat time, and over the winter I really need full power steering. I'll talk to you soon. Again, Thanks, Glen

Old 07-28-2004, 01:10 PM
Registered

Hey Glen,
The post above reffering to lost top end was on a 35 Flame with twins. That is in no way similar to the Heat's characteristics.
Looking forward to chatting with you!
You must be running the higher gear ratio
I run a stock 30 Bravo at lower elevations and spin her 5600 and 88.1 with 1.5s and I know you got a bit more umph than me
I'm looking forward to trying a 29 P5-X at the lower elevations.
Talk to you soon,
Dave
Old 07-29-2004, 08:43 AM
cryoracer

Thanks Dave, I appreciate you clearing me up on that. I should have realized that the post was referring to more than one prop. You are right I am running a 1.3 ratio and when I loosen the boat up I can achieve right about 6000 rpm. Which is about where I need to be. On the dyno my max HP was at 6285. I am still working with a little tuning and tweeking to make sure I have the EFI right where I want it. Then I want to work with the props more, but I think the 5 blade prop may bring my slip numbers down a little. How does your boat drive at high speeds with a lot of trim, does it chine? I have a little problem with that if I overtrim at high speeds. It drives smooth up until 93 or so. I think if I put full power steering on over the winter that will help that situation. And seat time on my part. I'll talk to you soon. I like what you had to say about the cruise speed with the 5 blade too. I really love the Nordic and I am glad to see so many nice people on this forum that have a lot of good things to say about them. I'll talk to you soon. Glen

Old 07-29-2004, 09:03 AM
Registered

Glen,
just got your phone message. I'll be in the office all day so give me a call when convienent.
I get no chine walk at all but then a again I haven't seen a a true GPS 90+ mph yet
I'm curious to talk to you about your EFI setup. I run a FAST ECU with wide band O2 for tuning.
My guess is, in all likelyhood, you have the fastest Heat on the planet!!! If my math is close your at 102 mph??? Very nice!
Talk to you soon,
Dave
Old 07-30-2004, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone tried a 1 " Drive spacer on the heats
Old 07-30-2004, 09:35 AM
Registered

As per the above post...we had a former owner running the 575SCI and he tried an 1-1/2" spacer and saw no change.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:20 PM
cryoracer

Another question for Nordic Heat. Hi Dave, after we spoke the other day I called Hydromotive and they think going to the P5 X will reduce my slip quite a bit. I was trying to decide on pitch so I followed your link (great write up and awesome pics of your boat and set up). But I see you are running a 27 pitch. They were trying to steer me toward that pitch, but I think a 28 would be better for me. I want to turn it 6000 - 6100 rpm and you know my set up. I am looking for great crusing speed along with a litte more top end if that's possible? What are your thoughts? I forgot to ask, Did you get the email I sent you ok? Thanks, Glen

Quick Reply: Prop help Best Prop for a 28 heat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.