Prop help Best Prop for a 28 heat

Notices

Prop help Best Prop for a 28 heat

Old 10-25-2004, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Prop help Best Prop for a 28 heat

Steve,
Something just doesn’t sound right with your numbers. Your speed should indeed be closer to your buddy’s Fountain.
Before I went and added a little more oomph to my motor I was able to spin a 28 Bravo to 5550 rpm and 81.1 mph. This was with only 6 lbs of boost at 4600 feet elevation on flat water with me and BobL on the boat.
Earlier this year, before the 5 blade and still breaking in the new motor at Lake Havasu, we took only one GPS run (and it was just a quick blast) running a stock 30 Bravo and with four people and ¾ tanks we ran 85.6 mph at ~5600 rpm. I have seen 88.1 with the 30 at Lake Mead under real good conditions.
Bobl runs a 25 P5-X and sees 75-76 mph GPS at 5600 rpm. I turn the 27 P5-X to ~5800 rpm and run consistent ~85 mph at 5000 feet elevation. I just returned from Lake Mead where I took a 29 P5-X from Throttle Up and ran a GPS verified 89.4 at ~5700 rpm. We actually ran a little faster later in the day on some very rough water but that’s a different story.
Granted, I’m running more hp but regardless, pitch and rpm still equal speed. Your slip with the 5 blade should only be 14%-15% and it sounds like you closer to 18%.
Sounds like your buddy’s Fountain is in the 10.7% range. That’s pretty impressive.

Bottom line is I think there's more there for you
Have you had your tach calibrated?
Also, it took me a time or two to get the 5 blade figured out. Like I said, it will take more trim but it will also over trim easier than a Bravo. There’s a definite sweet spot for sure. I think you see 83-84 when you get her figured out.
Good luck and keep us posted on your results.
Dave
Old 10-25-2004, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave,
Thanks for the input. I also thought this boat should be faster with the HP and hull design. I have run a hand held GPS against the indash, and they are usually within a MPH or so. Actually the handhelds are usually slightly faster.
I know the motor is OK, because we just rebuilt it. I've also had the scan tool on it and no codes are showing up.
I haven't calibrated the tach, but will check that out. Maybe it's not running the RPM it's showing?
Best Regards,
Steve Z
Old 10-26-2004, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve, FYI the tach in my boat reads 200 RPM fast. I now always check RPM with a scan tool or shop tach. That can make a big difference when you're making prop decisions.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:14 AM
Registered

Bob:
The Whipple low pro intercooler came in yesterday. It is one slick looing piece.
My boost level is off a little, so while I have the blower off, I'm going to ship it the Blower Shop for an off season freshen up. Hopefully between the intercooler and an extra lb or two of boost, the new P5-X, and some other goodies, the Heat will be ready to rock next spring!
I am planning to run with the scan tool this weekend to make sure my tach and other instrumentation is reading correctly, and to establish a performance baseline to compare with before this round of mods.
Regards,
Steve Z
Old 11-08-2004, 08:09 AM
Registered

Saturday test results were:
My tach is dead on with the Mercury scan tool. My Gps is one MPH (give or take, it's analog) slow. My Heat ran 82.1 on a Garmin V, 81 indicated on the Gaffrig recall @ 5420
on the scan tool, with the stock 28" P-5X. My prop calculator shows 14.3% slip. I haven't run the drive spacer yet, nor did the boat seem to need it. I will try it next spring to see if it makes any difference. It may with a heavier load. These boats seem very weight sensitive to me.
Conditions were ideal; light load, cool (64o) weather, light chop.
Prop's off for blueprinting, and the blower's off for freshening up.
A question for you guys.........has anyone added an intercooler to their existing blower setup? Did you loose boost? How much? Several knowledgeable guys say I will.
I'm going to run the same blower pulley when I get the motor back together. It will be interesting to see if the intercooler does reduce the boost level.
Question #2. Has anyone switched to an Imco or Sportmaster gearcase? Did it pick up any speed? At what speed does an Imco begin to help top end over the stock XR gearcase?
Regards,
Steve Z

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 11-08-2004 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Steve, the sportmaster lowers were tried on the Nordic 35 and the boat lost major speed. Apparently the design creates stern lift which as you know the Nordic deosn't like. As I understand it the sportmaster works great with cat hulls. I ordered sportmasters for my new 35 but changed back to the standard XR lowers after test results.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:15 PM
Registered

Gary,
Thanks for the input. It's always best to see how hardware or setup has affected a similar boat. That's why I ask a lot of questions.
I understand you are a Nordic dealer. Where's your shop?
Regards,
Steve
Old 11-14-2004, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
Gary,
Thanks for the input. It's always best to see how hardware or setup has affected a similar boat. That's why I ask a lot of questions.
I understand you are a Nordic dealer. Where's your shop?
Regards,
Steve
Were located on Lake Cumberland in Jamestown Ky. www.UnlimitedPerformanceMarine.com
Old 11-22-2004, 06:22 PM
Registered

Gary,
I was in your shop this summer. You were telling me about the 35' you had coming in. I asked you what what kind of power was in it...........you told me it was top secret. You may recall I said if it wasn't twin 1075s, it wasn't top secret...........................
I guess you were referring to the Ilmor/Viper(s) boat. That is a very sharp boat.
I'll come by next time I'm in your area.
Regards,
Steve
Old 11-25-2004, 09:24 AM
Registered

Dave:
After talking with Julie @ Throttle Up, we've decided to work a 27" P5-X. The refreshed blower and intercooler go back on next week. I may try to run once more when the prop comes in. I'll report the results here if I get to (weather may prevent this ).
Happy Thanksgiving Team Nordic !!
Regards,
Steve

Quick Reply: Prop help Best Prop for a 28 heat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.