Prop help Best Prop for a 28 heat >

Prop help Best Prop for a 28 heat

Notices

Prop help Best Prop for a 28 heat

Old 11-29-2004, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Prop help Best Prop for a 28 heat

I think you'll be very happy. I believe Julie has all of my specs.
Dave
Old 11-29-2004, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave:
I talked to Julie today. She does have your specs and they will add cup to mine too. Did you
have your 27" fully blueprinted? I am.
Regards,
Steve
Old 11-30-2004, 11:12 AM
Registered

Steve,
I just had the cup added.
Let us know how it goes
Dave
Old 12-25-2004, 10:16 PM
Registered

The prop's back & bluprinted. The intercooler is on. Unfortunately the blower belt supplied was way too short. Ordered a new one which should be in Monday 12-27.
Weather's been a ***** (cold), but weather man says high 50s low 60s this week.
If things don't fall apart, I'll have new test results to report soon.
Regards,
Steve
Old 12-26-2004, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve, I just finished installing the 2 575 intercoolers I ordered along with yours. We tested the boat last Wednesday. Thought I'd share a couple of things I ran into. First, on one of them the blower mounting studs (reused from old intake) were too long and had to be cut down. Apparently the holes in the new intake weren't drilled deep enough. Secondly we had water leaks from the adapter for the thermostat housing. We removed it and installed some plugs in the unused mounting holes and resiliconed it. One of the blower belts was very tight. Actually had to remove the blower pulley and slip the belt over it before sliding it on the shaft. Cold start enrichment was way too rich. If you touched the throttles when first started it would go rich to the point of fouling the plugs. You had to just fire it and let it idle until it reached 140 deg. then it was fine. On our test run the A/F ratio ran around 12 to 12.5 except it went to 10.7 at WOT. That was before any reprogram. I just sent the ECU to Whipple with our test data. I'll check it again when we get them back. It was turning about 4800 in the summer before the ICs. The air temp was 39 when we tested last week. We were hitting the limiters at 5400+ RPM. Boost went from about 4.5 to 6. We'll be going up in pitch for a retest. This is on a 2005 42' Fountain. We hit 89 on the GPS with 30" 5 blade Maximus props.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:18 PM
Registered

Bob:
Ran into problem #1, and stacked some washers. Not too techy, but seems to be working.
Problem #2 was the thermostat housing adapter ran the large hose on the starboard side into the serpentine idler pulley. We had to cut/reposition and tig it up. Haven't fired it up yet as my new (ordered 57 3/4" and 58 1/4" Gates, the supplied Bando is just 56" and won't fit over my 3.5" blower pulley) belt(s) won't be in until this afternoon. Had to rebend the hard fuel line. Rear hatch won't close, as expected.
I will watch for the water leak. Thanks for the heads up.
I am running my intercooler off the water pump and the Teague 3 way adapter. Are you running off a seperate pickup, or the water pump?
It is encouraging to hear your boost is good @ 6PSI. I assume that's with a 3.5" pulley?
Keep me posted on your progress Bob. I hope to test tomorrow.
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 01-02-2005 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve, I installed a seperate transom pickup and ran it to a custom sea strainer with 2 3/4" outlets. Out of that with #12 hose to both engines. It seems to be flowing plenty of water by the time it's on plane. I don't like the water flowing through the intercooler at idle.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:41 PM
Registered

Bob:
We ran the boat on the hose today and ran into the water leak you mentioned. Got the adapter to thermostat housing leak fixed, then it started a small leak between the adapter and the intercooler housing. Will chase that down tomorrow.
Ran the boat with my new blueprinted 27" P5-X. Water temp was 46o/air 55o. The boat ran fine except for a slight out of the hole stutter, which felt like the motor was fat, and probably was with the cold lake water, but not a big issue at all. As the lake warms up, I'm sure this will diminish.
The engine pulled hard to the reprogrammed limit of 5800 and showed 84 MPH on both GPSs. I could have easily pulled the 28, blueprinted or otherwise. Acelleration was like a drag boat, usually a sign the that your underpitched. I'm trying to figure how much speed and rpms I'll lose due to heavier summertime loads, and warmer air and water. I think around 300/350. If so, the 27" should put me right on 5500, and will be OK.
The boat felt like it would have turned 6000 easy today with this prop, not that I'm trying to. All in all I think it's running pretty good, just need to keep tweaking the setup.
Will keep you posted.
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 12-28-2004 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:53 PM
Registered

Gaining on her
Old 12-28-2004, 08:58 PM
Registered

Hi Dave,
Seems like I'm finally making some progress .................
There are a few other things going on here. My boost is coming in a little later, and it's just
a little less (5.5ish) than it was pre intercooler. Not unusual, I expected it. So, I will try to run down a 3.25" or so blower pulley. I'd like to get back to 6/7PSI. Now that I have the intercooler, I'm not as worried about detonation like I was without it. There's a few HP and hopefully MPH. I have also run down a standard length Imco lower unit to try. I think I'm running fast enough now that it will help. How much, I don't know.
Should be an interesting test though. I also think with the added boost that I can go back to a 28" P5-X (seems like I could now).
By the way Bob, it doesn't seem like running the intercooler off the water pump has hurt my idle. And the water here is very cold (46o) compared to what we normally have (80+o).
Happy New Year Team Nordic ,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 01-01-2005 at 03:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Prop help Best Prop for a 28 heat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.