Prop help Best Prop for a 28 heat >

Prop help Best Prop for a 28 heat

Notices

Prop help Best Prop for a 28 heat

Old 12-28-2004, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Prop help Best Prop for a 28 heat

Wow Steve, that thing must be making some pretty serious HP. By my calculations you're making darned near 700 HP to get that speed.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob:
That's what I'm coming up with too. Factory rating 575HP, +75/80HP for the AZ Speed boost kit (their #), +50ish HP (my estimate) for the intercooler and you have 700HP .
That Fountain should hauling ass too when you get ECUs reprogrammed. I have a friend here that has a 42' with twin HP500s with Whipplechargers on them, and he's running 95 on GPS with 6 PSI boost. I think he's making about 700 HP per motor.
Regards,
Steve Z

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 01-02-2005 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Registered

Guys:
Some of you may have run into the issue of the Weiand/Mercury 256 blower having a splined shaft, not a keyed shaft like the standard Weiand. Mercury probably did this to make it more difficult to repulley this blower for warranty reasons. I was considering having the Blower Shop put a keyed shaft on mine while it was out there for a freshen up, so I could use the Holley/Weiand automotive pulleys, which are much easier to source.
The splined pulleys have been pretty hard to come by in smaller diameters. I am happy to let you know that Teague is now making them in a variety of diameters ..............
I just ordered both 3" and 3.25" pulleys from them to fine tune my boost after installing the intercooler. The 575 comes with a 4" OD pulley stock. The AZ Speed & Marine boost kit for this motor came with a 3.5" pulley, which gave me A 2psi average boost increase.
Based on that comparison, it looks like a .5" diameter decrease is good for 2 psi, so a .25" diameter decrease should be around 1psi. I'll let you know how this turns out this Spring (usually early March here).
Happy New Year ,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 01-02-2005 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:35 PM
Registered

Guys:
I talked with Lonnie at the factory today. Whenever I've needed anything from parts to advice, he's been right there. I was going to put a hatch insert into my upper hatch for clearance with the intercooler (don't want to cut a hole in the pad or run a Harwood), but he recommended spacing the the two halves apart with wood supports. I did exactly that last week, and now have 5 air intakes on my hatch vs the two standard ones. He is sending me extra vinyl to recover the extended rear and sides on the upper hatch. I'll post some pics when we get it finished.
He also told me they just got their first 600SCi in ............I wonder who's going to get that toy? The 600 should be perfect for Nordics with their relativley low rear hatch. If I had that set up vs the 575, I wouldn't have to re-engineer the hatch.
I think the 600 should run close to 80 on a 28', and 2 of them in a 35' should get close to
100. And with a pulley change and ECU reprogram .........................
Regards,
Steve
Old 01-18-2005, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 140 Likes on 85 Posts

Steve,

On your blower pulley dilemma, is the splined shaft the same, smaller, or larger than the "normal" keyed shaft? I might can make a pulley adaptor to allow using standard pulleys on the Merc shaft. If the OD of the Merc shaft is at least 0.006" smaller than the ID of a standard pulley, then I can do it.

Might be a good item to offer as an accessory.

mc
Old 01-19-2005, 02:09 PM
Registered

Mike:
I've located a full range of sizes in the splined version. They are now available from Teague Marine. I now have 4", 3.5", 3.25" (now installed), and 3". The quality of the Teague pieces is very nice, same as OEM.
Thanks for the offer though!
Regards,
Steve
Old 02-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Registered

Bob,
I just found a neat little piece of hardware that Hardin makes. It's a pressure relief valve that cuts out water to the intercooler(s) at idle. It is adjustable for pressure. Think I'll set around 5 PSI to start, as my idle pressure is just 2-3 PSI.
This probably isn't necessary with the transom pickup to strainer system you're using, but for my setup, strainer to seawater pump to intercooler fitting, it should be perfect. I'll let you know how it goes.
How's the Fountain, twin 575 setup coming?
Regards,
Steve
PS Eric B tells me he bought some hardware from you. He's a great guy, and I'm glad you two hooked up.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:27 AM
Registered

Steve, I had not seen that pressure valve. Looks like the perfect deal.

I'm supposed to retest that Fountain in the next week or 2. Got the ECU back from Dustin so we just need to recheck A/F numbers. Then he'll order some more props. Dustin said he removed a lot of fuel from the cold start enrichment, and leaned it a little at WOT.

I quoted Eric for a Whipple. I haven't heard back from him if he was going to do it or not. I think he had to get momma to bless it. Sounds like a pretty wicked boat he's got.

Bob
Old 02-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im in the process of getting a Stock 500 EFI Blue Motor with the CMI's headers .I have the Non Step Bottom 98 Heat .I have already bought a 24 p bravo 1 .should i recup the 24 or start with a 26P bravo 1 or any other suggestions also need the S pipe Tails for the CMI's
Thanks Bill
Old 02-02-2005, 12:01 PM
Registered

The stepped version of that hull would come with a 26 with the 500. I'd try the 24 and see where you're at. The 26 may be a bit too large. What engine, speed and prop were you getting before?

Quick Reply: Prop help Best Prop for a 28 heat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.