L.I. Sound & Sandhole Question??? >

L.I. Sound & Sandhole Question???

Notices

L.I. Sound & Sandhole Question???

Old 06-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Hope you had a great time, looks like the weather was awesome!

I'm stuck in Orlando doing a trade show for work...... rats!
Old 06-01-2008, 04:15 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 876 Likes on 325 Posts

Sand Hole is a crescent shaped lagoon on the tip of Lloyd's Neck with Oyster Bay to the west side and Huntington Harbor to the east. It's a wonderful spot on a summer weekend to hang, swim, eat, whatever. There's usually 50 boats or so anchored on a nice summer day, and quite a few overnighters also. You must use caution though when navigating through the narrow inlet to the lagoon. There are no markers at all and local knowledge is a must to ingress/egress the lagoon. Your best bet is to follow the locals exactly. At low tide there is maybe two feet of water and you need to follow a strict path, at high tide the rock jetty and sand bar at the west side of the channel is hidden and could ruin your day. If you have any questions, just hang and wait until a local shows you the way in or out, there's plenty of traffic at Sand Hole and the wait won't be long. Once you're in though it's a very cool spot, it could be choppy as heck in the Sound and not a ripple inside the lagoon, perfect for hanging or rafting up.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks Everyone

Originally Posted by Panther

The results are in:

Myself and my friend had an awesome day that started at 6am and covering 235+ miles and burning LOTSA fuel . That started in Peekskill to Sandy Hook to Jones Beach to Port Jeff then back to Peekskill.

Sandy hook was the fastest and easiest to get to and took about 1 1/2 hours from Peekskill .Thanks Panther for the great info or I would still be aground now.I went a little wide coming aroung the horn into the cove and sand blasted my skeeg to a nice silver color.

Next stop was Jones Beach which was the farthest and most difficult to get to of the three at a little over 2 hours from Peekskill.Which is a shame since it was so nice with ths park on the other side of the bay.At least I got to run offshore and got some nice airtime off some nice rollers.

Last stop was Port Jeff which due to a 3rd degree sunburn and blood coming from my ears from hours of blower whine I never made it into the cove and turned around in the inlet.PJ came in at about 1 3/4 hours from Peekskill.I will definatley be making this trip again in the very near future.

All in all it was a perfect day and I'd like to say thanks to everyone for your help. I cant wait for the next trip with the family. Kevin
Old 06-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Registered

Was wondering where the heck you were. I saw the boat on the lift , Saks too !!!

Kevin , I'm mad I didn't read this thread earlier , I'd have been glad to show you the way in too. I did make it out there , what a nice day!!!!!!
Old 06-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Awesome! I look forward to meeting you guys next time and I'll bring the family out as well!

used to make a lot of runs up the Haverstraw when I had the Scarab but with the Apache I run the ocean. I haven't run to Peekskill in a while so I'm probably overdue! With the newborn, maybe some hudson runs would be nice.

If you ever run to Jones again and it gets a little rough, duck intoRockaway Inlet and run the inside, it's about 15 minutes west of Jones.

I make most of my runs to Jones Inlet, good times on the high seas!!!!

Glad you guys had a good time..it sucks sitting here in a hotel room when there's good weather at home... Orlando was a balmy 94 with swamp azz humidity...
Old 06-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by hunster
Was wondering where the heck you were. I saw the boat on the lift , Saks too !!!
Yup...stuck here until Thursday..... I'll probably idle over to the island next weekend though! Gonna be savin the fuel for NYC the following weekend!
Old 06-02-2008, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by live wire
I just tried to call you but I must have the wrong # . If you can call me tonight .
Just saw your post now. Sounds like you had a good time yesterday!
Old 06-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Registered

Awesome! I look forward to meeting you guys next time and I'll bring the family out as well!
I haven't run to Peekskill in a while so I'm probably overdue! With the newborn, maybe some hudson runs would be nice.
Congats on the new baby . Give me a shout if you venture north.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:37 PM
Registered

hey the sand hole is right before huntington. Its about 45 min. west of portjeff. cruising at 45