Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Northeast US
L.I. Sound & Sandhole Question??? >

L.I. Sound & Sandhole Question???

Notices

L.I. Sound & Sandhole Question???

Old 05-30-2008, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L.I. Sound & Sandhole Question???

I am looking to make day trips down the Hudson from Peekskill area into the Sound. I'm looking for a good spot to beach it or anchor with sandy beaches to bring my kids and spend the day.I have heard of some suggestion such as Port Jeff or the "sand hole" but I'm not to familiar about accessability and locations of these or possible others spots .Any help would be appreciated. Kevin
Old 05-30-2008, 06:14 PM
Registered

After looking up Port Jeff on Mapquest, it might be a little far of a ride to make with little kids . I guess I'm looking for something on the Western side of the sound within an hour from Hell's Gate (east river).Thanks again
Old 05-30-2008, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

what's out on the jersey side?...or LI's south side...i know there is a nice public beach with bbq and potties next to rye playland....but it's only ok...don't recall a local marina..just the beach

PJ is a nice spot, but better suited for an adult overnite....
Old 05-30-2008, 07:12 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Cold Spring is a place I have gone to swim and you can hit Glen Cove for dinner on the way back. When do you want to go? water must still be to cold to swim.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ReggieRaft
Cold Spring is a place I have gone to swim and you can hit Glen Cove for dinner on the way back. When do you want to go? water must still be to cold to swim.
Water is definatley still to cold. I'm heading out early Sunday from Peekskill to make a test run down to Sandy hook then I was going to head over to Jones Beach inlet to see how long of a ride it was before I drag the kids along. So I was thinking since I was down that way I would head home via the East river and maybe see how long of a ride back it was from the "sandhole " or somewhere else in the Sound where I could beach up the boat and take the kids for the day.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you decide to hit Port Jeff you can use my mooring in Pirates Cove which is on the east side of the inlet. Making a weekend of it would be your best bet rather than a day trip. Danfords has slips available but reserve first. They will have showers and everything you need. Restaurant is pricey and the food sucks. There's tons of restaurants in town and your wife will love the window shopping.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cig1988
If you decide to hit Port Jeff you can use my mooring in Pirates Cove which is on the east side of the inlet. Making a weekend of it would be your best bet rather than a day trip. Danfords has slips available but reserve first. They will have showers and everything you need. Restaurant is pricey and the food sucks. There's tons of restaurants in town and your wife will love the window shopping.

Thanks for the offer I hope i'll be able to take you up on it.

Is the Sandhole located near Port Jeff .After doing a search on it the only thing I came up with was something called "Belle terre lagoon" or Cold Spring Harbor ?
Old 05-31-2008, 06:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cold Spring harbor is west of PJ and I'm not too familiar with it. The Sandhole in PJ is known as Pirates Cove. This was actually a sand mine from the 30's into the 50's. What I wuld suggest is taking an inflatable from the mooring onto land or its a short swim from the mooring. If your into roughing it your able to set up a tent on land which most people do. Head into Danfords to take a shower but they will charge the slip by the hour. There are two old wooden barges that the kids need to stay away from. Years ago my kid stepped on a spike that almost went through his foot. Do obey the speed limit when you get into the channel. There is a floating pump out station in the harbor.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:37 AM
Registered

Thanks Cig1988, I'll make the run out to PJ tommorrow on my way back from Sandy hook. And see how long of a ride it is back home . Thanks for the Help.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by live wire
Thanks Cig1988, I'll make the run out to PJ tommorrow on my way back from Sandy hook. And see how long of a ride it is back home . Thanks for the Help.
From Sandy Hook I believe it takes me roughly an hour to an hour and a half to get to the Sand Hole. I haven't been there in a long time but I don't remember it being extremely far once you got thru hells gate. It's a really nice place!

Jones Inlet is roughly 30 minutes from Sandy Hook.

If you ever bring the family to Sandy Hook there are a bunch of places you can go to including Party Island, Airforce Cove and a bunch of restaurants that dock/dine.

If you ever need anything just let me know!

Frank

Last edited by Panther; 05-31-2008 at 10:16 AM.

Quick Reply: L.I. Sound & Sandhole Question???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.