Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Northeast US
Lake George Fun Run Oct 10-13th 2008 >

Lake George Fun Run Oct 10-13th 2008

Notices

Lake George Fun Run Oct 10-13th 2008

Old 10-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they act like we are dumping nuclear waste into the lake. all we want to do is have a fun run with friends one time a year and SUPPORT THE LOCAL BUSINESS'S. i guess they dont want our money unless its in the form of fines
Old 10-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98itrwhite
they act like we are dumping nuclear waste into the lake. all we want to do is have a fun run with friends one time a year and SUPPORT THE LOCAL BUSINESS'S. i guess they dont want our money unless its in the form of fines
The 'authorities' told they were getting complaints from the campers. Who spends the money up there? Campers pay their 8 bucks a night and bring in their own food. We spend $11 for a weekend pass, $60-$80 to launch for the weekend, $200-$400 for hotels, an ungodly amount at the bars, hundreds of dollars in gas...It's never going to change, so I'm going to stop bithcin' about it, but priorities are a little screwed up IMO. Enforce your rules...thats fine with me, but to tell me that the sally-a$$ campers are complaining?! PUHLEASE!
Old 10-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by adrbear
Dum as stumps,
I'm really tired of this issue.
Lake George is one if the most beautiful lakes in upstate N.Y., and it is kept that way by having regulations, that are enforced to protect the lake and the people that enjoy it.
Sportboats are welcome on the lake, they just have regulations, noise and speed. I heard they would be enforcing them that weekend and posted it on this forum. Have some respect for the people that protect the lake; they are doing it for all of our benefit.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dum as stumps,
I'm really tired of this issue.
Lake George is one if the most beautiful lakes in upstate N.Y., and it is kept that way by having regulations, that are enforced to protect the lake and the people that enjoy it.
Sportboats are welcome on the lake, they just have regulations, noise and speed. I heard they would be enforcing them that weekend and posted it on this forum. Have some respect for the people that protect the lake; they are doing it for all of our benefit.
How about a picture of your Daytona's mufflers that are Lake George legal? Doug
Old 10-23-2008, 03:13 AM
Registered

Could you imagine if City of Daytona or Indianapolis had a noise restriction in there city limits (which they do) and sent the local PD. over to track to hand out DB tickets, when I go Lake George for the weekend I am usually good for injecting $1200 to $1500 into there economy,this year they took another $50 for a non compliant exhaust ,next year I doubt I can make the trek there because I believe the 2nd time offender ticket will be $400-$500 and to buy mufflers which may or may not get me under 90db will cost roughly $2k I can go elsewhere.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by JoeD
Could you imagine if City of Daytona or Indianapolis had a noise restriction in there city limits (which they do) and sent the local PD. over to track to hand out DB tickets, when I go Lake George for the weekend I am usually good for injecting $1200 to $1500 into there economy,this year they took another $50 for a non compliant exhaust ,next year I doubt I can make the trek there because I believe the 2nd time offender ticket will be $400-$500 and to buy mufflers which may or may not get me under 90db will cost roughly $2k I can go elsewhere.
Joe,

I agree. If you ask many of the local business' whether or not they should be giving us a hard time and I'm sure that they will side with us. I can understand having regulations on Lake George to preserve the beauty of the Lake, but I really don't think that we were adversly affecting the Lake anymore then any other boater out there.

I wonder if one of us had talked to the authorities before that weekend to get a "get out of jail free" pass for just that weekend. I wonder if they would look the other way for just a weekend like the poker run in 2007

-Chris

Last edited by Big Time; 10-23-2008 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JoeD
Your all not getting this. Do the last couple people that posted realize what you are saying...The same thing your complaining about... I spend so much money, I should be able to do whatever I want!, isnt that what you think the problem is, people getting what they want becuase they spend money?
Not the case, like I said before, the regulations are in place so that everyone can enjoy the lake together.
I boat on the lake, My boat blows a 92db with bolt on mufflers, most of the time I do around 50, When its clear and I want to run, I can do over 90, and I dont have any problems. Its when you get on the internet, invite 100 boats to come along with you, that there is a problem, they will all like it so much they will say," lets do this like 5, no, 10 times a year", then what happens? ......, no more sportboats at all, right. Then you are directly effecting or should I say infecting sportboaters as a whole on the lake.
I am all in favor of a orginized event, so are alot of others, Bob Scanlon did a great job, I dought anyone could have done it better, I think very few realize the time and effort he put into it. How about someone try to orginize a event, planned out with permits and ins. like he did. Good luck..
Old 10-23-2008, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Your all not getting this. Do the last couple people that posted realize what you are saying...The same thing your complaining about... I spend so much money, I should be able to do whatever I want!, isnt that what you think the problem is, people getting what they want becuase they spend money?
Not the case, like I said before, the regulations are in place so that everyone can enjoy the lake together.
I boat on the lake, My boat blows a 92db with bolt on mufflers, most of the time I do around 50, When its clear and I want to run, I can do over 90, and I dont have any problems. Its when you get on the internet, invite 100 boats to come along with you, that there is a problem, they will all like it so much they will say," lets do this like 5, no, 10 times a year", then what happens? ......, no more sportboats at all, right. Then you are directly effecting or should I say infecting sportboaters as a whole on the lake.
I am all in favor of a orginized event, so are alot of others, Bob Scanlon did a great job, I dought anyone could have done it better, I think very few realize the time and effort he put into it. How about someone try to orginize a event, planned out with permits and ins. like he did. Good luck..

bob was been putting the run on for a number of years and every year the run got bigger. i dont see that as a problem. the run was so much fun that more and more people wanted in. it wasnt lets do this every weekend. it was im comming back next year. if the big home owners dont like us and cause problems like they did this year fine, you win, ill find another place.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, Bob did an awesome job in 06 and 07(the years I attended). The event seemed to go pretty smoothly other than a few issues with the Po-po's in 06.

I dont think all this banter is about 1 weekend a year. It's the whole season. I have a house 5 miles away from LG and I had my boat on the lake 4 days this whole year mainly due to the regulations(a testament to the fact that the regulations are in fact working by keeping "loud obnoxious a-hole's"(not my words) like myself away from one of the nicest lakes around). The fact that I have to 'sneak' around the lake to avoid the rent-a-cops doesnt make for the greatest boating experience. I always adhere to the speed limit and Next year I will invest in some mufflers, but from what I hear I still won't pass. I'll continue to use the lake on a limited basis next year. If for some reason I get checked and am a few Db's over the limit, hopefully they will be lenient with me due to me at least attempting to quiet the boat down. If they are a-hole's like they were to me this year, I'll stick to LI sound where I can go as fast as I want, be as loud as I want and enjoy some actual offshore running. Time will tell I guess...

On a side note, I have heard that in the past and possibly in the future they are trying to regulate snowmobile use/speed on the lake. What the hell is that all about?!
Old 10-23-2008, 09:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I see what you are saying. I don't think anyone's point was that we spend all this money so we should be able to do what we want. I think the point was that we are up there supporting local business' during a slow time (Summer's over and it's before snowmobile season)....which any business owner up there would appreciate during this down time. Also, docked up down in town, I've never had some may random people come up and talk to me (non-boaters, just spectators) who really enjoyed checking out the docks. So it is somewhat of an attraction for people to check out.

I think the point trying to be made is that maybe there can be some sort of compromise for this ONE weekend where everyone can enjoy themselves. What is that compromise? Not sure, maybe uping the decibal level for that one weekend? Not asking to be able to do whatever we want, just asking to be able to go out and enjoy ourselves and not get written a ticket and thrown off the Lake.

-Chris

Quick Reply: Lake George Fun Run Oct 10-13th 2008

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.