Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Northeast US
Lake George Fun Run Oct 10-13th 2008 >

Lake George Fun Run Oct 10-13th 2008

Notices

Lake George Fun Run Oct 10-13th 2008

Old 10-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will apologize in advance if what I have to offer has already been covered. But, in case it hasn't here it goes.

As one of the organizers for a poker run down on the fingerlakes, our club goes to through the NYS Parks Commission to obtain a Regatta permit. In doing so, boats that show up to run the run are exempt from noise regulations for the duration of the permit, which is friday-sunday of the run weekend. Anyone looked into this for your club?

Pigpen
Old 10-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PIGPEN160
I will apologize in advance if what I have to offer has already been covered. But, in case it hasn't here it goes.

As one of the organizers for a poker run down on the fingerlakes, our club goes to through the NYS Parks Commission to obtain a Regatta permit. In doing so, boats that show up to run the run are exempt from noise regulations for the duration of the permit, which is friday-sunday of the run weekend. Anyone looked into this for your club?

Pigpen
When the Poker Run on Lake George is put on by a sanctioning body(LGPBA in 06/07), permits are acquired to exempt boats from noise and speed limits are raised to 60 from 45 mph. This year there was no "official" event...it was more of a "renegade run."

What lake are you on and what are the regulations?
Old 10-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gladhe8er
When the Poker Run on Lake George is put on by a sanctioning body(LGPBA in 06/07), permits are acquired to exempt boats from noise and speed limits are raised to 60 from 45 mph. This year there was no "official" event...it was more of a "renegade run."

What lake are you on and what are the regulations?
Seneca Lake for the Pirates Run. Check out our website for details. senecapowerboats.com We have our own set of rules and guidelines, for the safety aspects, but as for noise and speed-there aren't any because of the regatta permit. You should make the trip down next year...You won't be disappointed!!!
Old 10-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PIGPEN160
Seneca Lake for the Pirates Run. Check out our website for details. senecapowerboats.com We have our own set of rules and guidelines, for the safety aspects, but as for noise and speed-there aren't any because of the regatta permit. You should make the trip down next year...You won't be disappointed!!!
I actually was there this year...as a spectator. I was in a wedding in the area(Auburn) so I made the drive over. Looked like a lot of fun!
Old 10-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by adrbear
Your all not getting this. Do the last couple people that posted realize what you are saying...The same thing your complaining about... I spend so much money, I should be able to do whatever I want!, isnt that what you think the problem is, people getting what they want becuase they spend money?
Not the case, like I said before, the regulations are in place so that everyone can enjoy the lake together.
I boat on the lake, My boat blows a 92db with bolt on mufflers, most of the time I do around 50, When its clear and I want to run, I can do over 90, and I dont have any problems. Its when you get on the internet, invite 100 boats to come along with you, that there is a problem, they will all like it so much they will say," lets do this like 5, no, 10 times a year", then what happens? ......, no more sportboats at all, right. Then you are directly effecting or should I say infecting sportboaters as a whole on the lake.
I am all in favor of a orginized event, so are alot of others, Bob Scanlon did a great job, I dought anyone could have done it better, I think very few realize the time and effort he put into it. How about someone try to orginize a event, planned out with permits and ins. like he did. Good luck..
Tickets,Permits,Insurance sounds like money to me
Old 10-24-2008, 07:43 AM
Registered

Very interesting perspective from all parties on the get togethers and the regulations. You have the people that live at the lake that want to do one thing, the visitors that want to enjoy the lake too, the authorities that try to enforce what is in place. It will be impossible to keep everyone happy. I fear more regulations on Sacandaga if we have too many organized events too.

They do bring in a lot of money for the locals. Since I am part of it and have a blast every time I love it. Half the people on the lakes may love the events and several probably hate it too. The people fishing and kayacking while several boats come by must hate it.

All it will take is one accident, one complaining person that got swamped or driven to close to, or whatever. Then we will have even more restrictions. I love engine noise but a lot of people don't. Some don't mind weed wackers, leave blowers, 2 stroke hedge trimmers, mowers in their neighborhoods at home but one dirt bike will mean call the police.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:53 AM
Registered

Hey,
Don't dump all us who own a house on LG into the same pot.
I own a loud boat and I don't like the regs either but I have to live by them all summer. "Blondie" lives in my bay and she stares at my boat every time she goes by in her LG boat.
Use your silent choice if you have it (put a on/off switch where they can't see it) or mufflers, or both. Don't attract attention to yourself. I haven't been checked yet and I know I am over the db without my silent choice.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:56 AM
GRH
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeD
Could you imagine if City of Daytona or Indianapolis had a noise restriction in there city limits (which they do) and sent the local PD. over to track to hand out DB tickets
Interesting analogy since Lake George welcomes with open arms Americade every year.... The "bikers" make significantly more noise for an entire week then the Boats do for a weekend.. also Lake George enjoys the benefit of the Hot Rod Nationals the weekend after Labor Day.... I've attended & will testify to the noise those cars make on the city street!

I enjoy both of those events as I do the Boat Poker Run... but aren't we seeing a double standard here?
Old 10-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by GORT
Interesting analogy since Lake George welcomes with open arms Americade every year.... The "bikers" make significantly more noise for an entire week then the Boats do for a weekend.. also Lake George enjoys the benefit of the Hot Rod Nationals the weekend after Labor Day.... I've attended & will testify to the noise those cars make on the city street!

I enjoy both of those events as I do the Boat Poker Run... but aren't we seeing a double standard here?
yes!!!
Old 10-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GORT

UHHHH....If being welcome was setting up a road block on the Northway and stopping all the bikes coming in, and giving them all pointless tickets, Inadequate Helmets, noise, ect ,ect. I talked to several bikers that will not be coming back next year just based on principal alone. The few grand worth of tickets makes no sence when looking at the millions that come in for the event. PUTZ's
I understand that laws are laws. But buisness is buisness. We should work on a reform of the restrictions to open our Lake to all types of boaters. Or we could all paint our boats to look like the wooden ones. Talk about a double standard.

I have to say as a local business owner we do shoot ourselves in the foot quite often.

Quick Reply: Lake George Fun Run Oct 10-13th 2008

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.