Notices

Thank you for your help

Old 06-29-2005, 09:16 AM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thank you for your help

As some of you must know, we had a small problem with the boat after the filming saturday, that's why we never made it to the beach.
I'd like to thank ALL of the members that stopped by to see if they could help out. You guys are a GREAT bunch of fellow boaters, and more importantly, the best friends that anyone could ask for.

We had a oil line coming from the filter adapter under the engine going to the thermostat housing that must've loosened up while we were running. Half way to the beach I noticed the oil temp going up, and the oil pressure going down to around 15 lbs. When we shut down to find the problem, I can't remember everyone that stopped by to help, but it seemed like everyone was there. (You guys are the best)
We tightened the oil line, (thank you Mark "Mr. Cig" for the 1" wrench) and everyone was tossing us quarts of oil to put back into the engine. Thanks guys!!!!!

After we got going again, and were about 2 miles from the beach, the oil pressure guage started dropping again, but I stopped the boat when it was down to around 30-35 lbs.
Again, a bunch of boaters stoppped to see what was wrong and help out.
This time we lost oil in the same engine, but now it was pumping out of the dipstick tube. Candyman, Dan & Vicky were there and talked me into leaving the boat at Hammond marina, after they tossed us some quarts of oil for the engine. Then Dan called the harbor master to get me a spot to keep the boat till I could bring the trailer. I believe Doug, with Pure Adreneline, also gave us some oil, thanks Doug.
Then instead of going to the beach and enjoying the rest of the afternoon, Dan & Vicky Vasta "Candyman" offered to drive us back to Diversy harbor in Chicago, so we could get our truck and trailer. And Dan even helped us get the boat back on the trailer.
I think I ruined their afternoon, and I'm really sorry about that. But, this is what friends are all about. And what I'm trying to say here is that our club is made up of a bunch of fun loving powerboaters, that are all friends. I don't think for a second, that if the table was turned, that I would'nt do the same for any of our friends. THANKS again to everyone!!!!!

Damage assessment: Lost quite a few quarts of oil.
Because of the crankcase being pressurized, and oil coming up through the dipstick tube, I assumed that the loss of oil destroyed the seal on the piston rings. So on sunday I took the boat back to the shop and parked it under the engine lift. Monday afternoon we pulled the port engine, and totally dismantled it. The pistons looked perfect but the rings were junk. All the bearing looked good, except for main #1, and rod journal #1. A little more wear than I'd like to see. The rollerlifters looked fine, as did all the other internal components. Guess I had a horseshoe up my azz, cause I expected to see some scored pistons, and wore out lifters from running with the loss of oil for as long as I did.
Well on tuesday, we ordered rings, bearing, and gaskets. They should be here thursday. But I think that this weekend I'm just gonna relax a little, NO, ALOT. We plan on heading over to Hammond, and visiting with all our friends on T-dock, the party dock!!!!! Whatever does'nt get finished on the engine by the weekend will just have to wait till tuesday.

Hope each and everyone of you has a safe 4th of july weekend, and looking forward to seeing all of you at the Chicago Poker Run. Frank & Lois
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 06-29-2005, 10:15 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 587 Posts
Default Re: Thank you for your help

Man that sucks Frank.....but good thing it was only rings!!! As they say......it could have been worse!!! Atleast youll be back on the water soon

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-29-2005, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frank,

Good to hear it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Give me a call when you are heading to Hammond. As you know we always have room on at least one of the boats on T-Dock. Just do us a favor and bring that horseshoe

Steve
Old 06-29-2005, 10:42 AM
Registered

I agree with you Frank
the club has great members who are more than willing
to help when problems occur.
Glad to hear that you had no real major damage to your
new engine.
Dennis
Old 06-29-2005, 05:28 PM
(aka) Pure Adrenaline
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like you got off pretty easy exept for alot of labor. Glad to hear you will be back up and running in a week.
I always fell bad asking for help but always willing to give it. See you back in the water for the Poker Run, Doug
Old 06-29-2005, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

bummer!!!!!!!!mark..............
Old 06-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We missed you at the beach Frank. I'm glad you got all that help. and things didn't get totally smoked. Have a realxing wekend. We'll see you back on the water soon.
Mark
Old 06-29-2005, 10:06 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Frank, Glad to here it's not to serious. Hope to see you out this weekend in Hammond. I'll take Lois for a ride but then you have to buy a Cig. LOL

Have tools will travel

Mark
Old 06-29-2005, 10:48 PM
Registered

Frank,
I'm happy to hear it was just the rings. I feel bad for you having to work on the boat in all this heat. I think you deserve a relaxing day on T-Dock.
Dan
Old 06-29-2005, 10:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Payton
We missed you at the beach Frank. I'm glad you got all that help. and things didn't get totally smoked. Have a realxing wekend. We'll see you back on the water soon.
Mark
Are you guys going to the beach this weekend?
Dan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.