Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boat Club Forums > Northern Illinois Offshore Club
Out of State Purchase-Registration and Tax in Illinois >

Out of State Purchase-Registration and Tax in Illinois

Notices

Out of State Purchase-Registration and Tax in Illinois

Old 07-12-2007, 11:43 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brads right !! If you are buying a boat in Illinois the tax is disguised as a user fee.If you try to go around it, it is fraud. It is 6.5% of the sales price. I will try to find a link to the state site. If you plan on buying a used boat then you had better figure in the tax up front and you can build it into the loan amount so it doesn't drain your bank acct later.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smitty
Brads right !! If you are buying a boat in Illinois the tax is disguised as a user fee.If you try to go around it, it is fraud. It is 6.5% of the sales price. I will try to find a link to the state site. If you plan on buying a used boat then you had better figure in the tax up front and you can build it into the loan amount so it doesn't drain your bank acct later.
Yeah...it's a good idea to calculate at least a ROUGH estimate of what this will end up being. I took my checkbook to the currency exchange when I registered the Fountain (out-of-state purchase), and my jaw dropped when I saw the check I had to write then and there.

Just another reason to love the $htheds in Springfield!
Old 07-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
CG documentation is not a free ride for taxes. Illinois requires you pay sales tax period. I registered mine both CG and with the state. Too many times you will get pulled over by local cops for lack of state reg. So I do both.

Be careful what you post here. Some of the posts are discussing tax fraud.
Just for the record, I had the sales receipt and submitted it with the application . They may have contacted the seller, I don't know.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pantera28-650HP
IL uses a Kelly Bluebook type value for determining the approximate value of the boat regardless of what you tell them. This started in 2004 I was told. I am in the process now!!
I could not find a boat link on Kelly Blue Book. The price I found was off NADA.

No matter what I do, do I still send them a bill of sale?
Old 07-12-2007, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
CG documentation is not a free ride for taxes. Illinois requires you pay sales tax period. I registered mine both CG and with the state. Too many times you will get pulled over by local cops for lack of state reg. So I do both.

Be careful what you post here. Some of the posts are discussing tax fraud.
It is my understanding that in IL, you do not HAVE to register a USCG documented boat unless it will be in the water more than 60 days in a calendar year. I trailer mine, and it does not see 60 days in the water, maybe 20-30 topps. The problem is the local sheriff, CPD, or other local law officers do not know the legalities, and will hassle you. The CPD was hassling my buddy about his boat that is documented, but displays IL numbers, which were registered to the previous owner, and a expired sticker. They told him to remove the IL numbers, since they are not registered to him.

http://dnr.state.il.us/admin/systems/boats.htm
Old 07-12-2007, 06:53 PM
Registered

As of September 1st 2004. All used, brokered, out of state boats will be charges 6-1/4% tax on the boat only. You do not pay the tax on the trailer and you do no have to worry about county tax. Coast guard documenting in Ill does not do a thing. Ill get's you comming and going when it comes to Taxes.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BEAST1
As of September 1st 2004. All used, brokered, out of state boats will be charges 6-1/4% tax on the boat only. You do not pay the tax on the trailer and you do no have to worry about county tax. Coast guard documenting in Ill does not do a thing. Ill get's you comming and going when it comes to Taxes.
How is the amount of the tax computed, sale price or value?
Old 07-13-2007, 05:04 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

What's up dude?! Will we see you at the run?
Old 07-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Registered

Yes I will be there this year and, boy am I looking forard to it. It's going to be fun. I guess I will have to ride on LUCKY 7. Oh darn, 100 mph , Some one has to do it.

TAX, I do not know how the state computes it. I have heard they are checking with the blue book values. All I know is if you try to fudge the system you will be taking a chance. Then you have to ask your self is the savings worth it???
Old 07-13-2007, 10:42 AM
Registered

Yes I will be there this year and, boy am I looking forard to it. It's going to be fun. I guess I will have to ride on LUCKY 7. Oh darn, 100 mph , Some one has to do it.

TAX, I do not know how the state computes it. I have heard they are checking with the blue book values. All I know is if you try to fudge the system you will be taking a chance. Then you have to ask your self is the savings worth it???

Hey Jim,
That new Baja looks sweet!!!! It's going to be a rough day at the office

Quick Reply: Out of State Purchase-Registration and Tax in Illinois

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.