Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boat Club Forums > Northern Illinois Offshore Club
Best lake other than Michigan to launch and practice with my boat, West burbs? >

Best lake other than Michigan to launch and practice with my boat, West burbs?

Notices

Best lake other than Michigan to launch and practice with my boat, West burbs?

Old 05-20-2008, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Best lake other than Michigan to launch and practice with my boat, West burbs?

I've decided to err on the side of caution this weekend with the new rig and try to launch it on a smaller body of water that's hopefully within an hour or so of the western burbs.

Wanna get a feel for properly launching and then loading the boat onto the trailer, piloting the boat, and generally getting my **** together before putting this thing in the big water. I'd rather get that down pat on a smaller lake than make any dumb mistakes on a lake like Michigan with its diminished margin for error and novice boating.

Any ideas are appreciated, guys. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by baddogz28; 05-20-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Registered

I have used a lot of the launches all around lake michigan and several lakes around the Illinois area and I think if you are truly trying to launch, dock, maneuver, etc. the boat to get used to it, try Hammond or East Chicago. They all have 2-4 lanes for launching and I do not think it will be that much easier to practice on a smaller lake. Check the water conditions before you go and I think it will give you more room and space to get used to it. Too many people get intimidated by Lake Michigan that is very boater friendly if you do your homework and watch the weather. Be careful if you use some of the smaller lakes or even the chain of lakes because they enter into low depth issues and more boat traffic in a more condensed area. Congrats on the new ride. Hammer
Old 05-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hammer01
I have used a lot of the launches all around lake michigan and several lakes around the Illinois area and I think if you are truly trying to launch, dock, maneuver, etc. the boat to get used to it, try Hammond or East Chicago. They all have 2-4 lanes for launching and I do not think it will be that much easier to practice on a smaller lake. Check the water conditions before you go and I think it will give you more room and space to get used to it. Too many people get intimidated by Lake Michigan that is very boater friendly if you do your homework and watch the weather. Be careful if you use some of the smaller lakes or even the chain of lakes because they enter into low depth issues and more boat traffic in a more condensed area. Congrats on the new ride. Hammer
Exactly what he said.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:07 PM
Registered

Surprisingly the lake michigan lauches (not downtown chicago) are less busy that the smaller lakes. There is usually tumbleweed blowing through some of the kenosha, racine, milwaukee, hammond launches. Lake geneva, chain lakes, get ready to get yelled at, and you will probably feel REALLY stressed (considering what weekend it is) if you're looking for practice. Go to the big lake, launch that boat and have fun.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you said it somewhere but I missed it, whats your tow vehicle ?
Old 05-20-2008, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by hammer01

I agree. Chris, as long as the lake is calm, its the BEST place to practice. You will have all the room in the world. If you were to go up to the chain, you wont get to know the new boat, because you will be watching to make sure you dont hit someone, somthing, etc. Those lakes get very crowded, especially a holiday weekend like this. Not to mention if you are not familiar with the chain, you will destroy your props, or even worse, drives. There are lots of unmarked danger zones. The ramp at east chicago is plenty wide.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:57 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

East Chicago's ramp is your best bet...LOTS of room to manuver, you are, however, limited to using the two sides of the longest pier...if you try to use the shorter piers, by the time you back down far enough, you can't get in your boat! With the predicted warm temps (knock on wood!), it'll most likely be a south/southwest wind, which means FLAT conditions. Also, remember, you've got two engines...USUALLY this means you CAN get back to shore!

Launching tips: If you've got a pickup, drop the tailgate, WAY easier to see. Also, take your time...don't panic! Try to go when there's a lull in traffic...DO NOT go super early...the fishermen are merciless (I launched at LOTO two years ago when a bunch came in, and one almost hit me and my boat...f'r didn't even blink, just took off). Always start the boat when you are still on the trailer(IN THE WATER!!!)...nothing worse than seeing some dude drop their ride and pull away only to come back and find it won't start.

Good luck...and try to remember..this is FUN!
Old 05-21-2008, 08:08 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

add one tip,,,, make sure your tailgate clears the trailer before you drop it !!!!!!
Old 05-21-2008, 09:28 AM
Registered

Thanks for the tips guys.

I don't own a tow vehicle myself, Jamie... I'll probably borrow my cousin's F250. If that doesn't pan out, I'm in the car business... Me or one of my friends in the business will borrow something heavy duty from work.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn dude...you sound just like me when I bought my first ride! I didn't have a truck either...borrowed a friend's brother's F250. I ended up finding a 1979 GMC dually with a newer 350 for like $3500...just used it to haul the boat.

Quick Reply: Best lake other than Michigan to launch and practice with my boat, West burbs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.