Trailering your boat **Alert***

Notices

Trailering your boat **Alert***

Old 06-18-2008, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe this will help.

Hello Folks,

I just spoke to close friend that is a (15 year) police officer. This topic really boils down to two separate groups. 1) All of you who tow your boats with trucks that have truck plates. You need to pay attention to this information. And make sure you are in compliance. 2) All of us who tow our boats with SUV’s with passenger plates or RV’s with RV plates. We fall under a completely different set of regulations.

It’s widely known that construction and commercial trucks often are over-weight. This is what the police officers are keying in on. It is a great money making method because many people need the truck plates but rarely (only when towing their boat) exceed the limit for the plate.

When the police look at vehicles with passenger and RV plate classifications, (while they are required to adhere to the same weight limits) appear to be more lenient and most police officers will not bother you IF your vehicle and trailer appear at first glance to be in relatively good working order and is set up to perform within acceptable parameters. Specifically that the rear bumper is not dragging low because of excessive tongue weight. Or the tow vehicle and or trailer appear to have excessive wear or faulty equipment such as, brakes, tires, large amount of rust, etc. Or you are not towing a 14,000 lb. Vista with a Honda CR-V. If your tow vehicle and trailer are properly matched (or at least closely matched) and look to be in good condition, the officer in almost every case will look past you and focus on the guys towing boats with trucks.

(I know advice is like stuff you find at a yard sale. Most of it is crap. But sometimes you come across something that is really, really worth it.) Here is some advice: Be safe. Try to do it right. It’s not that hard. The safety and health of you and your family are worth every bit of it. Besides, I would much rather spend the money upgrading or certifying my rig than paying it to the state as a big fine.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/i...aehrung004.gif
Old 06-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Registered

Default Maybe this will help.

Hello Folks,

I just spoke to close friend that is a (15 year) police officer. This topic really boils down to two separate groups. 1) All of you who tow your boats with trucks that have truck plates. You need to pay attention to this information. And make sure you are in compliance. 2) All of us who tow our boats with SUV’s with passenger plates or RV’s with RV plates. We fall under a completely different set of regulations.

It’s widely known that construction and commercial trucks often are over-weight. This is what the police officers are keying in on. It is a great money making method because many people need the truck plates but rarely (only when towing their boat) exceed the limit for the plate.

When the police look at vehicles with passenger and RV plate classifications, (while they are required to adhere to the same weight limits) appear to be more lenient and most police officers will not bother you IF your vehicle and trailer appear at first glance to be in relatively good working order and is set up to perform within acceptable parameters. Specifically that the rear bumper is not dragging low because of excessive tongue weight. Or the tow vehicle and or trailer appear to have excessive wear or faulty equipment such as, brakes, tires, large amount of rust, etc. Or you are not towing a 14,000 lb. Vista with a Honda CR-V. If your tow vehicle and trailer are properly matched (or at least closely matched) and look to be in good condition, the officer in almost every case will look past you and focus on the guys towing boats with trucks.

(I know advice is like stuff you find at a yard sale. Most of it is crap. But sometimes you come across something that is really, really worth it.) Here is some advice: Be safe. Try to do it right. It’s not that hard. The safety and health of you and your family are worth every bit of it. Besides, I would much rather spend the money upgrading or certifying my rig than paying it to the state as a big fine.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Registered

Here is what I was just told from a truck dude. The tow vehicle's weight and tongue weight can't exceed your plates limit.

Truck weight: #7000
Trailer Tongue weight: #700

Total payload weight #7700

IF they use a portable scale, they would put a scale under each set of wheels of the truck and give you your total weight. The boat trailer will be weighed the same way.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Registered

I would carry a safety kit with triangles and flares plus reflective vests even though you trailer with an SUV for any road side emergency that might occur.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I had my truck and trailer inspected at Rondout Service in Rondout. They are located just east of 294 on Hwy 176. The inspection is painless and costs $19.00 per inspection.

The guy in front of me just moved to Barrington and bought a new F350 and a horse trailer. Was hit for $1500 for the truck and $1500 for the trailer for not having stickers... he plans to fight the tickets!
Old 06-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Boomer 880;2595458]I had my truck and trailer inspected at Rondout Service in Rondout. They are located just east of 294 on Hwy 176. The inspection is painless and costs $19.00 per inspection.

[QUOTE]

Good to know Scott, thanks.

They give you the stickers then for the trailer too ?
Old 06-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Registered

Have all these tickets been given out in a certain area, or are they spread out throughout the state.

I'm assuming they are only stopping people with illinois plates,
We sometimes launch out of Northpoint, and are heading down to LOTO later in the summer and I'm wondering if I will get hassled for anything.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:43 PM
Registered

Boomer,

Was your trailer empty? My neighbor got stopped for the same thing, so he went to get an inspection and they told him he had to have the trailer empty for them to inspect/test it properly?
Old 06-24-2008, 06:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Bankonit27
Boomer,

Was your trailer empty? My neighbor got stopped for the same thing, so he went to get an inspection and they told him he had to have the trailer empty for them to inspect/test it properly?
They ask that the trailer be empty, but I could not accomodate this request, so they had me bring it in with the boat on the trailer. I fit easily into their testing center. However, if I could not fit, they would have done the test in the back parking lot. The Rondout Service group was easy to work with!
Old 06-24-2008, 06:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by RonS
Have all these tickets been given out in a certain area, or are they spread out throughout the state.

I'm assuming they are only stopping people with illinois plates,
We sometimes launch out of Northpoint, and are heading down to LOTO later in the summer and I'm wondering if I will get hassled for anything.
I understand the concentration of tickets are coming out of the Chain of Lakes area.

Quick Reply: Trailering your boat **Alert***

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.