You Never Know Who You Will See at the Launch Ramp >

You Never Know Who You Will See at the Launch Ramp

Notices

You Never Know Who You Will See at the Launch Ramp

Old 08-02-2016, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You Never Know Who You Will See at the Launch Ramp

So I'm at 31st street yesterday in the launch ramp working on my boat and I notice a couple of old guys next to me in an Italian style daycrauiser. They were working on their boat also. I said to myself, I know that one guy from somewhere but couldn't place him. They get done wave to me I wave back and they take off. I walk up to my truck later a noticed the dually they were pulling with and it say " Chris Karamesines Racing " that's it...legendary NHRA Top Fuel driver...."The Golden Greek" 85 years old and still drives a Top Fuel Car!
One can only hope to be still doing what you love at that age.

NHRA Driver

Karamesines Date of birth:
November 11, 1931
Hometown:
Chicago, Ill.
Sponsor/Car:
Strange Engineering Dragster
Crew Chief:
Larry Lones
Career Wins: 0

Career Final Rounds: 3
TF: 3
Career Best E.T.:
Career Best Speed:
Career Highlights
•2015: Attended 10 events during the year; Qualified a season high 14th in Atlanta
•2014: Attended 8 events during the year; raced to a quarterfinal finish at Bristol
•2009: Attended 11 NHRA events; Ran career bests in both e.t. and speed
•2003: Attended 14 NHRA events, and ran his career best time at 4.67.
•2002: Attended 17 NHRA events, finishing 15th in overall point standings.
•2001: Attended 13 events, posted career-best performance numbers, including his first career four-second run and first 300 mph run
•1999: He returned to NHRA Top Fuel competition for first time since 1993 season
•1990: He posted a career-best 11th place points finish with two runner-up efforts (Montreal and Seattle); Missed top 10 finish in the final standings by 36 points
•1985: Repeated as ADRA World Finals champ in Spokane, Wash.
•1975: Switched to Funny Car briefly
•1972: Won the AHRA Marathon Nationals in Rochester, N.Y. and the IHRA Empire Nationals in Leicester, N.Y.
•1966: Won the AHRA Nationals in Smithfield, Texas
•1965: Made first NHRA final round appearance of his career, notching the runner-up finish against Maynard Rupp at the NHRA Springnationals at Bristol, Tenn.
•1964: Made NHRA debut at the NHRA Winternationals, Pomona, Calif.
•1960: Although unofficial, is believed by many to have posted the first 200 mph run in his Chizler dragster, with 204.54 mph effort in April at Alton Dragway in Illinois
•1959:Won his first major national title by claiming the World Series of Drag Racing at Cordova, Ill.; Won AHRA Top Fuel world championship at Great Bend, Kan.

Personal
•Children: Chris Jr.; Paula (wife of late TF driver Bobby Baldwin)
•Height/weight: 5'8", 185 lbs.
•Hobbies: Italian-made "Fino" race boat, antiques, ice-cream, and Chivas Regal scotch
•Nickame is the “Golden Greek”
•Oldest active competitor in NHRA Full Throttle Series
•One of drag racing’s legendary drivers known for thrilling runs where he saved many cars from crashes with his expert skill behind the wheel and fearless driving style
•Although he has never won an NHRA event, he claimed Top Fuel victories in several other drag racing sanctions including ADRA, AHRA and IHRA
•Legendary match racer who is a four-time winner of the famed World Series of Drag Racing at Cordova (Ill.) Dragway and a multiple winner of the Great Lakes Dragway Olympics in Union Grove, Wis.
•Named No. 30 on NHRA’s 50 Greatest Drivers list as part of NHRA’s 50th Anniversary celebration in 2001
•Although unofficial, is believed by many to have posted the first 200-mph run in his Chizler dragster, with 204.54-mph effort in April at Alton Dragway in Illinois in 1960
Old 08-03-2016, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

that's cool. thanks for sharing
Old 08-04-2016, 04:00 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I see him out quite a bit. Always friendly. Was he in the Green It's either a Fino or a Riva style boat?

Mark
Old 08-04-2016, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,248 Likes on 1,452 Posts

I remember watching this live, when he won his first round of racing, EVER 2014: Attended 8 events during the year; raced to a quarterfinal finish at Bristol
Old 08-05-2016, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it was a green Fino
Originally Posted by MrCIG
I see him out quite a bit. Always friendly. Was he in the Green It's either a Fino or a Riva style boat?

Mark